Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 15, 2020, 12:11   #31
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
For most characters TO already doesn't work every time, due to device and spell fails. Much of the time, rather than increasing the difficulty, that just encourages the use of hockeysticks and asymmetrical LOS to keep TO safe; and making TO less reliable would encourage it even more.

Frog/Pos do have TO resistance and even TO immunity, but I don't think they would work very well in the V context. Too much of V is balanced around current TO mechanics; the danger of one-shotting aside, vaults are extremely common in V, and since sneaking and deep diving are a lifestyle to many V players they aren't going to raid them by murdering everybody.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:20   #32
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
I just leave this here: Anti-TO-zones
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2020, 12:31   #33
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
I just leave this here: Anti-TO-zones
There are no teleport squares possible, but they only stop the player from teleporting. Also the levels where they get used are currently not operational.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:47   #34
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There are no teleport squares possible, but they only stop the player from teleporting. Also the levels where they get used are currently not operational.
Looking forward to these. And wasn't there a curse that prevented teleport? Maybe that could be rarely seen on intelligent monsters too. I mean, if this TO mechanic needs some nerfing with more or less logical explanations.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2020, 13:50   #35
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I've posted a lot of videos of my playing style. It would be really fun and informative to see some other peoples' playing styles from this site. Windows 10 has built in screen recording software. Just press "Microsoft button" and "G" simultaneously to bring up the recording software while playing Angband.

I say this because I thought some of the videos I posted of me trying to find alternatives to getting dangerously guarded items without TO were entertaining. I know they were for me, even if the tactics I was forced to adopt were too dangerous to reliably attempt regularly.

Since not everyone is interested in or has means for editing 1 hour long Angband videos, time stamps are an easy way to highlight the interesting parts of a video once it's uploaded to YouTube. Just add #t=10m15s to the end of a youtube url to have the video start at the 10 minute 15 second mark.

It might even be fun to have friendly Youtube Angband competitions on here for who can post the most interesting/exciting/entertaining Angband videos.
Old May 15, 2020, 19:36   #36
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I've posted a lot of videos of my playing style. It would be really fun and informative to see some other peoples' playing styles from this site.
It's pretty easy, just watch some games on Angband.live. Also, watching Fizzix's "Let's Play Angband" series on YouTube, although dated now, was a huge contributor to improving my ability to play the game.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2020, 12:56   #37
moosferatu
Apprentice

moosferatu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
For most characters TO already doesn't work every time, due to device and spell fails. Much of the time, rather than increasing the difficulty, that just encourages the use of hockeysticks and asymmetrical LOS to keep TO safe; and making TO less reliable would encourage it even more.
I just lost a character to The Phoenix because my first attempt to TO failed.
moosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2020, 15:07   #38
Cuboideb
Scout

Cuboideb is on a distinguished road
For me, the Phoenix has the same level of danger than the Tarrasque. I think TO is okay as is now. In the old age it was a beam, and that was a bit too much.
Cuboideb is offline   Reply With Quote