AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 18, 2021, 04:31   #131
Julian
Apprentice

Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
Working on merging in the recent commits from V and resolving differences.
What does this mean in the code:

"<<<<<<< HEAD"
"=======
>>>>>>> 6c45e566d (Use Angband 4 command system for debugging commands (#4676))"

I've never seen it in C before.
EDIT: To me it looks like a temporary note that should be deleted before trying to run the program, but I want to make sure.
That’s a merge conflict to resolve
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2021, 07:16   #132
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
That’s a merge conflict to resolve
But it just marks the beginning and end. It doesn't say what I need to change in between those markers for it to be resolved. How do I know what needs to be changed? (The diff isn't showing any changes in between the markers.)

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2021, 08:13   #133
backwardsEric
Adept

backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But it just marks the beginning and end. It doesn't say what I need to change in between those markers for it to be resolved. How do I know what needs to be changed? (The diff isn't showing any changes in between the markers.)
From what you wrote before, it looks like your version (the first part marked HEAD up to the "========") has code with some local changes that was removed (or in the case of this particular change, likely moved to a different file) in Vanilla Angband.

As for resolving the conflict, that'll depend on whether Vanilla moved stuff or completely removed it. Looking at what the changes were in Vanilla should help clarify that. For this, I'm guessing it's code that was moved from wiz-debug.c to cmd-wizard.c. If that's the case, you would want to determine whether to transfer what you had changed to its new location or completely reject Vanilla's rearrangement of the code.
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2021, 17:26   #134
Julian
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsEric View Post
From what you wrote before, it looks like your version (the first part marked HEAD up to the "========") has code with some local changes that was removed (or in the case of this particular change, likely moved to a different file) in Vanilla Angband.

As for resolving the conflict, that'll depend on whether Vanilla moved stuff or completely removed it. Looking at what the changes were in Vanilla should help clarify that. For this, I'm guessing it's code that was moved from wiz-debug.c to cmd-wizard.c. If that's the case, you would want to determine whether to transfer what you had changed to its new location or completely reject Vanilla's rearrangement of the code.
What he said. You should be able to ask git to tell you what commit 6c45e566d was (I don’t recall how, because I’m not good with git), but unless it’s directly affecting things you’re changing, I’m of the opinion that you should keep up with the mainline changes; they’re doing a lot of bug-fixing and infrastructure work.
Old July 18, 2021, 21:08   #135
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
What he said. You should be able to ask git to tell you what commit 6c45e566d was (I don’t recall how, because I’m not good with git), but unless it’s directly affecting things you’re changing, I’m of the opinion that you should keep up with the mainline changes; they’re doing a lot of bug-fixing and infrastructure work.
I'm asuming its this:

https://github.com/angband/angband/commit/6c45e566d
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2021, 00:26   #136
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Well, Pete made it sound like using git would make getting changes from newer V relatively easy. But it's still turning out to be a huge pain. Is there any way to make this less trouble? or maybe I won't bother trying to keep up with changes in V.
Maybe I should've gone back to a more stable version to base my variant on (or waited for a more stable future version).

Github is not very user friendly to casual hackers like me.

http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Last edited by will_asher; July 19, 2021 at 00:31.
Old July 19, 2021, 00:34   #137
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Will--
You dont need to accept all changes in V if you dont want them--in fact you almost certainly dont. What you will want is bug fixes. You can find those by browsing the log.
Finally, there are tutorials on how to merge changes from two different branches, and how to pick changes for merging. Or you can just ignore V changes going forward. The point is to have a source control for your own code.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2021, 01:35   #138
Julian
Apprentice

Quote:
Well, Pete made it sound like using git would make getting changes from newer V relatively easy.
It’s all relative. Without git, it’d be a nightmare.

Quote:
But it's still turning out to be a huge pain. Is there any way to make this less trouble?
Just practice and learning the tools, I’m afraid.

Quote:
Github is not very user friendly to casual hackers like me.
Git is, to be frank, not a friendly tool. Github and gui front-ends make it somewhat easier, but even if the open-source world had settled on Mercurial instead, there’s only so much easier things can get; what is being done is fundamentally complicated and extremely hard to automate.
Old July 19, 2021, 01:38   #139
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
... and by far the hardest part is merging conflicts. (Merging branches is harder, but really rare.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2021, 02:06   #140
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Will--
You dont need to accept all changes in V if you dont want them--in fact you almost certainly dont. What you will want is bug fixes. You can find those by browsing the log.
Finally, there are tutorials on how to merge changes from two different branches, and how to pick changes for merging. Or you can just ignore V changes going forward. The point is to have a source control for your own code.
Yeah. I think I'll just look for the changes with bugfixes.