Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 28, 2009, 15:32   #1
Slick
Scout

Slick is on a distinguished road
coupla questions on 3.1.0 beta

1) I found the Longbow of Bard. Nothing in the description says anything about slaying dragons, but when I look at my (normal) arrows while wielding Bard, they say that they do much more damage against dragons. What's happening here?

2) Does wearing a ring of Flame, Ice, Acid, etc. brand my weapon of the same attack? Nothing in the description says this, but some of the other posts here seem to imply this is true.

3) I found Calris and enchanted it until it became {uncursed}. The description (I, using roguelike), still says Heavily Cursed in bold red letters. I am reluctant to wield it until I know for sure that it is truly uncursed due to it aggravating monsters and I don't have a ?*Remove Curse*. Which description is correct?

4) Is it a bug that recharging wands/staves no longer makes the number of charges unknown? Along the same lines, is it a bug that picking up a wand/staff of which you already have an identified one in your inventory causes the new one to stack and automatically identify its charges also?

5) There are a couple of new attributes under the character description screen, 2nd page. I don't have immediate access to the game as I write this, but I believe that they are "ImpHP" and "ImpSP". What are these?

Well that's more than a couple, but thanks in advance for any answers.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 15:45   #2
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
3) I found Calris and enchanted it until it became {uncursed}. The description (I, using roguelike), still says Heavily Cursed in bold red letters. I am reluctant to wield it until I know for sure that it is truly uncursed due to it aggravating monsters and I don't have a ?*Remove Curse*.
I, for one, would consider that an acceptable occasion for using save file backups. The game is telling you two contradictory things, so you aren't gaining anything unfair by giving yourself the chance to find out if you can really unwield it safely.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your actual questions.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 15:57   #3
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1) I found the Longbow of Bard. Nothing in the description says anything about slaying dragons, but when I look at my (normal) arrows while wielding Bard, they say that they do much more damage against dragons. What's happening here?
2) Does wearing a ring of Flame, Ice, Acid, etc. brand my weapon of the same attack? Nothing in the description says this, but some of the other posts here seem to imply this is true.[/quote]

These two are known bugs--Bard does indeed slay dragons, and elemental rings do brand.

Quote:
3) I found Calris and enchanted it until it became {uncursed}. The description (I, using roguelike), still says Heavily Cursed in bold red letters. I am reluctant to wield it until I know for sure that it is truly uncursed due to it aggravating monsters and I don't have a ?*Remove Curse*. Which description is correct?
Don't wear Calris--you can't remove heavy curses in 3.1.0. This will be fixed in 3.1.1.

Quote:
4) Is it a bug that recharging wands/staves no longer makes the number of charges unknown? Along the same lines, is it a bug that picking up a wand/staff of which you already have an identified one in your inventory causes the new one to stack and automatically identify its charges also?
None of these are bugs. 3.1.1 will make charges known without ID.

Quote:
5) There are a couple of new attributes under the character description screen, 2nd page. I don't have immediate access to the game as I write this, but I believe that they are "ImpHP" and "ImpSP". What are these?
The 'Imp' stands for 'impair'; they slow down the regeneration rates for HP and SP, respectively.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 16:04   #4
tigpup
Apprentice

tigpup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
2) elemental rings do brand.
Do they brand already branded egos and artifact weapons?

-Neil?
tigpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 16:10   #5
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigpup View Post
Do they brand already branded egos and artifact weapons?

-Neil?
Yes. Any brands get carried across, but the multiplier is only applied once. e.g. ring of fire + acid-branded weapon will do 3x damage, from fire.
Old January 28, 2009, 16:20   #6
Daniel Fishman
Adept

Daniel Fishman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes. Any brands get carried across, but the multiplier is only applied once. e.g. ring of fire + acid-branded weapon will do 3x damage, from fire.
Am I reading this right that if you are fighting something fire-resistant but not acid-resistant, wearing a Ring of Flames actually negates the acid brand on a weapon? (Why you'd do that I don't know, but it seems strange behaviour).
Daniel Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 16:22   #7
tigpup
Apprentice

tigpup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Understood.

This is nice. Makes for interesting ring/weapon choices, and Defender/Westy/Gondolin weapons much more useful in mid-game if res cover is needed. Helps to rebalance melee/launcher a bit. All this has probably been discussed in previous posts (before I started posting here).

Kudos.

_Neil
tigpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 17:30   #8
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishman View Post
Am I reading this right that if you are fighting something fire-resistant but not acid-resistant, wearing a Ring of Flames actually negates the acid brand on a weapon? (Why you'd do that I don't know, but it seems strange behaviour).
No, in this case the acid would take effect—the fire brand wouldn't be applied.
Old January 28, 2009, 17:34   #9
Slick
Scout

Slick is on a distinguished road
Do the ring brands apply to missile or thrown weapons too?
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009, 17:40   #10
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
Do the ring brands apply to missile or thrown weapons too?
No, only to melee.