Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old October 26, 2021, 19:23   #11
MicroChasm
Apprentice

MicroChasm is on a distinguished road
Congrats! 1,197 is an excellent turncount. I didn't think anyone else was going to go for it, but I'm glad to have competition. It's interesting to see how you went about it. I like your build better-- I went into the 50,000 XP challenge using a modification of my other low-turncount build, which makes a lot of compromises in order to survive the early/mid-game. Yours is much more extreme.

Now, I wonder if sub-1,000 is indeed possible. We won't know until someone does it I suppose...
MicroChasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2021, 16:52   #12
Infinitum
Swordsman

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Not needing a slumber staff does make it easier to grind, although voice can be an issue on the ascent. Also so long as you don't stab Lorien is even more of a "nope" button than mastery is, so survivability is no issue at all really. 50k is fair and balanced indeed.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2021, 18:13   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
What grinding? There isnt time for much in 1000 turns. And just look at his equipment.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2021, 18:40   #14
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I believe he means grinding games ?
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2022, 02:26   #15
MicroChasm
Apprentice

Et tu, Infinitum!

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24867&ok

946 turns this time. I tried your build initially and I think it is quite good. Getting to the throneroom is relatively consistent, but I had trouble with getting seen by Morgoth or not being able to get him to sleep. I iterated and tweaked the build many times, but in the end, I decided to go back to no-Lorien, since I think it's more fun. When you have to grind out attempts it's important to have fun.

The turns could definitely be optimized with better RNG on stair generation, and just more careful movement.
Old January 24, 2022, 10:37   #16
Infinitum
Swordsman

Hey, congrats! I was gonna get back to grinding a bit after 1.5 released but seems like you beat me to the punch! Agree that my earlier attempts was running pretty much the bare minimum to have a chance of sleeping V. I might cut Listen for some extra raw song/stealth and simply pray that I don't bump stuff in the throneroom once I get back to it. How many attempts before you found the _Slumber/Majesty?
Old January 24, 2022, 20:48   #17
MicroChasm
Apprentice

Cutting Listen might actually be a good idea. I've been assuming that it's necessary, but Keen Senses might be sufficient. I think I will try it out myself.

I always feel that that extra point of Grace on the Song tree is really expensive. I tried taking the Grace point from the Perception tree instead as well, but it does take 10 Perception to fill the prereq, so it kind of comes out in the wash. I tried Sindar of Doriath as well to save on the Song tree Grace point, but decided against it in the end. For my non-Lorien runs, I am taking Oath of Mercy, since I am investing in the Will tree anyway and it's a pretty cheap extra Grace point with no real downside for a pacifist.

One thing that I did on the 946 run was shy away from chasms, since going down stairs or shafts lets you go back up and down to reroll the floor. However, I'm going to try to prioritize chasms in the future (shafts first of course), because if I get bad floor generation then... well there's always next run to hope for. Song of Staunching actually helps here to get my HP back up if I want to take two chasms in a row.

I don't find a Staff of Slumber that often, but it's also not a tiny percentage of the time either. Once you get to the throneroom you can always spend a little time opening a few chests. I'm not going to lie, getting the 946 didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, I happened to get really lucky early on. Once I switched to the non-Lorien runs, I got it within the day. I've been doing some attempts since then with less luck.

What did you use to pry the sil by the way? I've been prioritizing a Great Spear personally. That's why I take Finesse; to try to get a double crit with the high number of dice sides and hope to get lucky on the damage roll.

Last edited by MicroChasm; January 24, 2022 at 21:28.
Old June 14, 2022, 18:07   #18
Infinitum
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroChasm View Post
Et tu, Infinitum!
862!

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=25148

Turns out listen was plenty cuttable, making for a pretty uh, focused build. It might not be pretty, but it sure was easy to reassign between attempts. Didn't stop me getting smithing instead of song being a top cause of death but still! Don't think I'll continue running now that I've gotten my sub-1000. I think there's still some room for improvement with more careful play in general and not drinking stat poison if anyone wants a ago though.
Old June 21, 2022, 16:08   #19
MicroChasm
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
862!

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=25148

Turns out listen was plenty cuttable, making for a pretty uh, focused build. It might not be pretty, but it sure was easy to reassign between attempts. Didn't stop me getting smithing instead of song being a top cause of death but still! Don't think I'll continue running now that I've gotten my sub-1000. I think there's still some room for improvement with more careful play in general and not drinking stat poison if anyone wants a ago though.
Nice! That is an impressive turncount. I’m intrigued by your build; it seems much more consistent than mine. Its interesting that Listen can be dropped.

I think I will have to try it out, and see if I can retake this vaunted record.
Old June 21, 2022, 22:51   #20
Infinitum
Swordsman

I think dropping 1 stealth for 5 perception and Alchemy is probably slightly better than what I posted. Having healing potions/herbs is clutch whilst basejumping chasms, and rage and/or strength makes a noticeable difference in getting the Silmaril out.

I think there's only like 150 "mandatory" steps on 1000' and 0' put together, so there should be plenty of room for improvement. Have fun!