AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 17, 2011, 04:21   #61
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* Being able to cast Banishment renders graveyards and zoos trivially plunderable for their floor items. Of course this is only an endgame mage trick, so I don't know that it's worth fixing. NPP handles this by giving the items to the monsters in the nest, but then there's less temptation to try to clear the thing out.
Is there some halfway-house - like, when a monster is Banished, any objects it is standing on are destroyed?

A.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:25   #62
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Is there some halfway-house - like, when a monster is Banished, any objects it is standing on are destroyed?

A.
I really don't think this needs fixing, honestly. It's such a niche case, and besides, punishing mages for one of their few useful abilities (namely, to avoid fights that are not worth fighting without having to avoid the monsters involved) just seems uncalled-for.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 12:37   #63
scud
Swordsman

scud is on a distinguished road
What is 'weak' branding?

I am at present seeing "You slightly burn the Ethereal hound", and I find the qualifier 'slightly' far more amusing than I probably should...
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 12:39   #64
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I really don't think this needs fixing, honestly. It's such a niche case, and besides, punishing mages for one of their few useful abilities (namely, to avoid fights that are not worth fighting without having to avoid the monsters involved) just seems uncalled-for.
It's not really a punishment. Assuming, as you say, the point is to "avoid fights that are not worth fighting", then that is accomplished. If the point was actually to gather a room full of treasure by doing something rather ordinary for a mage, namely casting a spell, then yes it's a punishment.
Old May 17, 2011, 15:33   #65
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
What is 'weak' branding?

I am at present seeing "You slightly burn the Ethereal hound", and I find the qualifier 'slightly' far more amusing than I probably should...
Magnate added some x2 brands, with the idea that they might be more viable for off-weapon branding (though as far as I'm aware nothing uses them yet in the standard set). Feel free to suggest better messaging.
Old May 17, 2011, 17:18   #66
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
"singe" might be better verbiage than "slightly burn."
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 17:59   #67
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
It's not really a punishment. Assuming, as you say, the point is to "avoid fights that are not worth fighting", then that is accomplished. If the point was actually to gather a room full of treasure by doing something rather ordinary for a mage, namely casting a spell, then yes it's a punishment.
Okay, let me put it this way: this is an "obvious rule patch", a change in the rules solely to prevent some undesirable behavior, that makes no sense in-universe. Banishment destroys monsters. Naturally that means that the monsters' inventories are gone. Why should it affect things on the floor? The spell explicitly targets monsters, not terrain or objects.

Now, obvious rule patches can be acceptable or even important if the alternative is seriously broken. Then there's an obvious strong justification -- if we didn't do this, then this undesirable result would occur, with a significant impact on the game. If you don't have that kind of strong justification, though, then obvious rule patches are undesirable, because they break the illusion of a consistent world.

Basically, what we have here is a corner case that is, yes, technically exploitative. The requirements for exploitation require you to be playing a specific class and to have gotten that class's last spellbook, so there's a very narrow window for exploitation before you go on to win the game. If you patch the game to remove this exploitation, then all the other presumably-justified uses of the Banishment ability in more limited form (scrolls and staves) have this bizarre behavior for no real gain.

In other words, I don't think the cost-benefit is there.
Old May 17, 2011, 19:50   #68
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
"singe" might be better verbiage than "slightly burn."
I like that too. What about the other elements?

Frost: "You chill it." (or, to be silly, "You give it a mild case of frostbite.")
Acid: "You irritate it."
Lightning: "You zap it" is currently the strong version; maybe this should be the weak version, and "You shock it" should be the strong version. I thought of "You electrocute it" but technically that would mean you killed it.
Poison: Not sure here... "You sicken it" or "You nauseate it" sounds just as strong as "You poison it" besides the fact that they make it sound like your character is just ugly.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 20:24   #69
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
In other words, I don't think the cost-benefit is there.
What is your day job? Lawyer? You have an amazing way of explaining things clearly. I wish I could do that.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 20:30   #70
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
I like that too. What about the other elements?

Frost: "You chill it." (or, to be silly, "You give it a mild case of frostbite.")
Acid: "You irritate it."
Lightning: "You zap it" is currently the strong version; maybe this should be the weak version, and "You shock it" should be the strong version. I thought of "You electrocute it" but technically that would mean you killed it.
Poison: Not sure here... "You sicken it" or "You nauseate it" sounds just as strong as "You poison it" besides the fact that they make it sound like your character is just ugly.
Ok, I've made changes to fire (singe), lightning (zap and shock) and poison (sicken). Chill was already in place - I'm just looking for something better than irritate for x2 acid brand, as irritate is more like enrage than corrode. Melts?
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote