AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old November 6, 2008, 09:39   #1
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Next competition

As some people are probably aware, I am taking over the Angband and variants competition from Tony Holmes, who has run it from the beginning for 60 competitions.

This is a call for suggestions or savefiles for a character for the next (November-December) competition. Savefiles can be emailed to me at nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au; suggestions can be posted here.

The competition has declined somewhat in popularity from when it started; if anyone has any ideas of changes that could be made, or comments on the general idea, or anything else relevant to say, this might be a good place to do it (as opposed to, say, telling a random stranger on the bus).
Old November 6, 2008, 12:05   #2
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The competition has declined somewhat in popularity from when it started; if anyone has any ideas of changes that could be made, or comments on the general idea, or anything else relevant to say, this might be a good place to do it (as opposed to, say, telling a random stranger on the bus).
I think one way to cause a major spike in popularity would be to have the competition hosted here at oook. I realize I'm nominating pav for a lot of extra work, but I just want to throw it out there.

Having a special ladder organized around the parameters of the competition (ie. first by max depth, second by min turncount) would give people a constant index to see what they're up against, and spur them to compete. If there were a big message on the front page of the site reminding folks about the competition I think you'd reach a lot more people that either missed the announcement on rgra or simply forgot about it.

Lastly, I think it would be worthwhile to make slightly more advanced characters as the starting point (I believe this suggestion was made on rgra). I believe that having an excuse to savescum from an advanced stage in the game would entice people to play a variant that isn't their particular cup of tea. Of course, not many people who get so far will want to offer their savefile to the masses, but it would be nice.
Donald Jonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2008, 14:36   #3
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
I like the competition-centric mini ladder idea!
Old November 6, 2008, 18:07   #4
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
I like the competition-centric mini ladder idea!
It might also be worth its own separate forum?

I wouldn't mind seeing a character that starts beyond the first few levels, but higher than that seems like a waste to me. The low levels can in some ways be the most interesting, though it's a phase that goes by quickly.
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2008, 18:28   #5
Aristobulus
Scout

Aristobulus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aristobulus Send a message via MSN to Aristobulus Send a message via Yahoo to Aristobulus
I think a competition would be great fun, so long as you have a way of checking up on the other entrants. That way I feel kinda plugged in- instead of just playing a normal game by myself. Maybe have all the entrants post an update of their progress every day or so.

I've never been in a competition, so I don't know if those are reasonable ideas or not- but it sounds like fun!
Aristobulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2008, 18:45   #6
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Jonker View Post
Lastly, I think it would be worthwhile to make slightly more advanced characters as the starting point (I believe this suggestion was made on rgra). I believe that having an excuse to savescum from an advanced stage in the game would entice people to play a variant that isn't their particular cup of tea. Of course, not many people who get so far will want to offer their savefile to the masses, but it would be nice.
I'll submit a Human Warrior at depth 45 or so this evening.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2008, 23:50   #7
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Ok there's now a new forum section for competitions.

Nick, get in touch with me over email and we'll set up something for the competitions here outside the forums.
Old November 7, 2008, 01:02   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
Ok there's now a new forum section for competitions.

Nick, get in touch with me over email and we'll set up something for the competitions here outside the forums.
Cool. I'll email you later today (my time). Meanwhile I'll go over and light a fire under the people on rgra
Old November 7, 2008, 03:35   #9
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Jonker View Post
I think one way to cause a major spike in popularity would be to have the competition hosted here at oook. I realize I'm nominating pav for a lot of extra work, but I just want to throw it out there.
This is a great idea. Though I was a aware of, and bookmarked, the competition page, I rarely visited it (and never entered a competition).

I'm also fully on board with frequent, mini-ladder updates. This will make it feel much more like a competition, rather than a blind auction.

Another idea might be to to have 3 or 4 competitions running simultaneously, but staggered. Maybe start a competition in a different variant every week or so, just in case the current competition isn't ones cup of tea. That way one wouldn't have to wait weeks/months for a new competition to begin.

Last edited by buzzkill; November 7, 2008 at 17:43.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2008, 07:51   #10
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
I'll submit a Human Warrior at depth 45 or so this evening.
Or maybe I'll just die instead.

Edit: Nick, I want to submit an Entro guy --- would you prefer a starting-level character, or as Donald suggested, someone a bit deeper?
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote