AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old August 25, 2014, 10:19   #1
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Comp 162 -- neoband??

Hi,

It's almost time for comp 162, and I'm thinking of doing a neoband 0.7 shieldmaiden comp for it. Two qualms:

a) No offense to Therem, but I am a bit worried that the class / variant in general may be totally broken

b) There don't seem to be any official builds for it, but it does sound like it compiles on everything pretty easily. I'd be happy to build for OS/X and possibly linux, but would need a volunteer to build for windows + upload to The Cloud somewhere.

Comments on the former? Volunteers for the latter?
Old August 25, 2014, 23:23   #2
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
First off, thanks! I'm not much for publicity, but Angband publicity is always nice...

Re (1), Shieldmaidens and other classes being broken: this is a bit of a kneejerk response to Vanilla, which has generalist wizards with (no offense) lots and lots of weak and mostly flavorless spells. I might have gone a little too far the opposite way I guess. I'll admit some inspiration from ToME 2, and probably more from Pernangband of (in)famous legend.

It is definitely easier than V, at least at low levels. That's intended, as I dislike the preponderance of deaths at boring low levels in V. But I don't have much of a head for game balance, so...

Re (2) I'll set up a chroot for cross-compiling it tonight, and test it out under Wine. Hopefully someone will know a place to host the binaries...
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2014, 23:37   #3
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
First off, thanks! I'm not much for publicity, but Angband publicity is always nice...

Re (1), Shieldmaidens and other classes being broken: this is a bit of a kneejerk response to Vanilla, which has generalist wizards with (no offense) lots and lots of weak and mostly flavorless spells. I might have gone a little too far the opposite way I guess. I'll admit some inspiration from ToME 2, and probably more from Pernangband of (in)famous legend.

It is definitely easier than V, at least at low levels. That's intended, as I dislike the preponderance of deaths at boring low levels in V. But I don't have much of a head for game balance, so...

Re (2) I'll set up a chroot for cross-compiling it tonight, and test it out under Wine. Hopefully someone will know a place to host the binaries...
I can host -- I can give you a temp ftp acct if that helps. Alternately you can just hack a releases dir into your GitHub repo and abuse their cdn
Old August 26, 2014, 04:48   #4
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Argh. When's competition time? I'm having problems cross-compiling, and have an absurd amount of work to do this week, so the Win32 build may not get done in time...
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2014, 08:02   #5
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
Argh. When's competition time? I'm having problems cross-compiling, and have an absurd amount of work to do this week, so the Win32 build may not get done in time...
In a couple days, but we can always do something else in the interim and make this comp 163. No need to stress over it!