Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old October 28, 2014, 08:18   #21
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
I like it, IDDC is indeed perfect for a great competition.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2014, 02:07   #22
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
So, I downloaded the client (after trying to build a GCU version on OS/X and basically barfing when I saw the makefile) and started a new game by using E (to create a character using an exclusive slot.) This seems to have started an IDDC game -- is this all that's needed basically?

Also, is there a recommendation for a server to play on? The Europe one seems to be the main one of the two that were listed by the registry.
Old October 29, 2014, 07:20   #23
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Yup, that's it. Choose the Europe server, and E to make a slot exclusive then make your character.

Right now there is a halloween event going on and all the townspeople have turned into monsters so don't kill anyone or you get experience. It will be over by the time comp starts, but is really fun and you have a chance to kill a rare monster named The Great Pumpkin for awesome items.

Once you start stock up on supplies, lantern, scrolls of satisfy hunger potions etc. then you travel on the map to coordinates (30,34) follow the edges of the maps to reduce the chance of meeting monsters on the way. (Very rarely a problem) There you will find a set of stairs downward, that's the dungeon.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2014, 17:11   #24
Pondos
Rookie

Pondos is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to this IDDC competition very much.
Pondos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2014, 18:07   #25
debo
Veteran

I tried playing this for a while and I don't know how anyone does it. I feel like I'm playing DDR trying to time my keypresses properly :/
Old October 31, 2014, 18:21   #26
Pondos
Rookie

Pondos is on a distinguished road
How to do it?

Since it is realtime, with monster AI. Needs somewhat gaming experience how to predict things to come. Monster AI follows certain pattern, and is predictable.

Important part is to make macros at the beginning, since time is abundant when facing battle.
Pondos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2014, 18:35   #27
debo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondos View Post
Since it is realtime, with monster AI. Needs somewhat gaming experience how to predict things to come. Monster AI follows certain pattern, and is predictable.

Important part is to make macros at the beginning, since time is abundant when facing battle.
It's not so much that, it's more like "i just hit a key and nothing happened" -- like messing up a combo in street fighter or something
Old October 31, 2014, 22:01   #28
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

What are you trying to do, move, attack, spell?

When moving around hold the shift key down, this will make you run unless monsters are around. Without it you will just crawl and it feels disjointed when you are moving.

Autoretaliation is also probably new to most players, it seemed strange at first but i really love this feature. When you bump into a monster you will automatically attack it with a melee weapon. This is pretty much mandatory considering the real time action. It seems to attack awake monsters before sleeping ones wich is nice.

If you want to retaliate with a ranged weapon instead, all you have to do is inscribe your weapon using the { key with @O the letter O not the number zero.

And finally with a spellbook use @O on the book itself, followed by the spells letter. For example if Beginners Cantrips has Mana Bolt listed as spell a when you browse the book you would inscribe it - Beginners Cantrips@Oa
This would use Mana bolt when you run into a monster or him you.

Now on to macros. The macro wizard is by far the best system iv'e come across in any game. To start it just press % and type z, and just follow the directions.

I use the 0 on my numberpad as an escape, so my thumb is always on it and it can be used almost instantly. Early game set phase door to it, then teleport when it becomes available.

My basic macros go
F1 Ranged attack or attack spell
F2 Normal Heal potion
F3 Emergency Heal potion
F4 Phase Door scroll or spell, Restore mana if a magic user, phase door late game becomes pretty much useless anyways

F5 Detect
F6 Mapping scroll or rod

F11 Speed Potion
F12 Resistance

` Stone to Mud
Tab Disarm

'-' key top right of numpad i use for class specific powers, Resistance for mages,Fighting form for mimics, Cloaking for rogues etc.

You can of course use anything you want this is just an example. Whenever you are in a fight have a finger over a healing potion and your thumb on an escape and you should do fine

!= will pick up your ammo automatically
!R Prevents Ricochetting
!X on a stack of identify scrolls or staff of perception will automatically use them to I'd items when you pick them up (awesome feature)

Finally i really recomend going to http://www.tomenet.net/

and checking out section 7 in the guide tactics and strategy

Oh, almost forgot about the auto inscription option, very handy press & for it. Have fun.

Last edited by UglySquirrell; October 31, 2014 at 22:30.
Old November 3, 2014, 12:08   #29
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
It's not so much that, it's more like "i just hit a key and nothing happened" -- like messing up a combo in street fighter or something
Lag problem? Check the lag-o-meter to see how many +++ you have on the bar. Since the server is in Europe, it could be the problem.
Old November 4, 2014, 00:13   #30
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

Just thought i'd share a few tips.

When leveling up you get 5 skill points which you can use by pressing G
If you screw up you have 1 undo per level press :/undoskills

If you plan on using weapons as your main form of attack, Interception is pretty much mandatory. "Ability to interfere with adjacent enemies.
Can prevent them from teleporting, casting,
summoning, running away."

As a caster once you get your resistance spell, keep it up all the time, double resist protects your inventory from being destroyed and even a single breath or ball spell can and will blow up your books and potions.

Unless you are playing an Istar, Druid, Shaman, Mimic, or Dwarf, and you have the cash buy a "climbing set". At some point you will hit levels with lots of mountains, and these help immensely. They cost a lot but try and pick them up on sale at the 1 shop.

Istar can usually teleport around and eventually get wraithform if they train Udon (Turns your form immaterial, and lets you walk through walls mountains etc.) Druids, Mimics, and Shamans can change into forms that can climb, and dwarfs learn to climb mountains.

If you are playing a caster, check out the spell section. It will show you what level you will get a certain spell at. Fireflash and Orb of Draining are the heavy hitters if you wan't to play a pure caster, but the others are fun too.

I highly recommend getting conveyance to at least 5 if your class allows it for phase door and disarm. Divination is amazing, gives you great detection, and at level 15 will let you to map parts of the level.

If you don't have access to divination or the holy support spells, make sure to buy a couple of rods of detection when you reach town. These will show monsters, items, traps and doors. This is one reason i prefer using races with good magic device skills if i'm not playing a caster.

Stealth is a huuuuge advantage in this game, running into an awake pack of Dark Elven Warlocks is pretty much instadeath if you don't have detection/esp and a decent range attack.

Archers are amazing and tons of fun, i buy at least 3 scrolls of enchant damage for my shooter, then just skill up your chosen weapon, Archery, Calmness and whatever else you want, health and dodge are nice, necromancy is fun. Once they start getting extra shots and a decent bow, they become absolutely devastating, machine gunning destroyers.

Runecrafters are really nice for IDDC, they don't need to find or buy spellbooks and have really powerful fully customizable spells.

I've been playing around with rangers too, these guys are great. Can build a sword wielding, bow/sling/crossbow using fighter with a bit of detection magic.

Or skill up swords, and an elemental school for ranged (probably fire) very versatile. Plus they eventually learn to swim and pass through trees.

Well, looking forward to seeing y'all soon. If you ever have any questions just ask in chat : button, anyone on will help you out.

Last edited by UglySquirrell; November 4, 2014 at 00:24.