Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old November 4, 2014, 01:16   #31
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
This may not start right on time ("RL reasons") but will certainly be up and running this week.
Old November 4, 2014, 13:01   #32
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
There's one particular feature of IDDC that hasn't been mentioned yet: themed levels.

If you're familiar with ToME, then you know of the different dungeons in the game: Orc Caves, Moria, Rhun, and so on. Each dungeon has a particular feeling (terrain, monsters...). TomeNET has implemented these dungeons in its wilderness, expanding them with quests and challenges (boss monsters, ironman/force down/no recall dungeons).

For IDDC, dungeon floors are grouped along these "themed" dungeons. You can get Training Tower theme (arena) for 50ft-150ft, then Barrow Downs (trees) for 200ft-400ft, then Orc Caves (mountains) for the next 5 floors, and so on. If a specific dungeon has a boss at its bottom, then you may also meet him on the corresponding floor in IDDC! And usually, such boss guards a powerful artifact.

Because of these themes, you may consider playing specific race/class combos to be able to pass some of the special terrain features of each theme. In particular, there's a theme very early on (300ft or so) that generates a complete forest level with very few passages. If you cannot pass trees, you may be completely stuck and be forced to restart. Same happens later on with some themes: water level (need swimming/flying -- otherwise you may die from drowning), dense earth (need climbing/passwall -- stairs could be unreachable otherwise)... Races that will gain advantages are dwarf (climbing), draconian (flying), ent (swimming), yeek (forest crossing). Classes that will gain advantages are spellcasters (teleport spell), mimic/shaman/druid (polymorph into forms with pass trees/walls or flying ability), ranger (pass trees). You can even decide to play as a "fruit bat", gaining speed and flying ability at the cost of a portion of your hps (roughly 40%).

One crucial thing to consider if you plan to go far in IDDC: starting around 4100ft (yes it's deep, but it happened to me yesterday while diving my current IDDC character to oblivion to free a character slot for the comp) you will get the "Mount Doom" theme. In regular game, you will go to the corresponding dungeon to kill Sauron. Basically this means you'll get that theme up to 4950ft. What's annoying about that theme is the main terrain feature: lava. What this means is simple: you need immunity to fire. If you reach that depth without it, it's (almost) game over. The easiest way to get the immunity is to play a race or class that gets it intrinsically: druid (11-headed hydra/maulotaur form), mimic/shaman (any form with the immunity), corrupted maia (level 50), spellcaster with the Fire school of magic (level 48 -- 50 in the skill), red lineage draconian (level 25). Otherwise, you'll have to get it from an item.
Old November 4, 2014, 14:17   #33
PowerWyrm
Veteran

A very important link:

http://www.tomenet.net/skill_builder.php

Useful to plan ahead your character build.
Old November 4, 2014, 16:14   #34
Roguer
Rookie

Roguer is on a distinguished road
Hmm what theme has trees blocking? I know Old Forest and Mirkwood but both actually have normal passages.
From what I experienced the only nasty themes are Submerged Ruins (mostly deep water) and Sacred Land of Mountains (all mountains and no passages).
However, long before you hit any of these, if they even exist in your run, you will hit one or two towns at 1000 ft and 2000 ft respectively and be able to buy a climbing set. This reminds me, is it fair in the competition to buy items cheaply from shoplifter characters lurking in the towns?
I know that all characters can actually swim if they wear light armour and light backpack, but I guess an item or class that grants flying or having an aquatic form (Druid class especially) can be helpful. Then again Submerged Ruins and Sacred Land of Mountains both have SHORT_IDDC flag which means that they'll only occur for very few levels (dunno maybe 3?) before theme changes again. So could just skip those annoying floors quickly maybe, if they even happen to spawn at all.
Regarding the lava, I think every town offers at least torches of immunity that can grant fire immunity. If you play a class that has resistance spell so that you can get double resistance (Istar, which is the Tomenet name for mage class, priest, paladin, ranger, shaman, maybe I forgot some..) I think you might be ok even without immunity.
Those themes are rerolled randomly every 24 hours by the way.

Oh and I just thought about account registration. In Tomenet your account needs to be validated once by an administrator, for spam prevention. That will probably happen automatically within a few minutes by an administrator or someone who has validation privileges lurking in the background or on IRC, but you could still already create an account now so you know it'll be validated when you actually log in to use it a day later or so. And depending on your preferences you could also already download a music pack. The music is somewhat dynamic and specific for each dungeon and can change in certain situations too, I know I love to play with music + sound pack installed. It's helpful additional info sort of and I like the sound effects and music themes.

Last edited by Roguer; November 4, 2014 at 16:29.
Roguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2014, 16:51   #35
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Hmm what theme has trees blocking? I know Old Forest and Mirkwood but both actually have normal passages.
There's one early theme that has "real" trees, meaning green "*" symbols and not green "#", instead of doors. Corridors in this theme are disconnected, which can be a problem. Didn't get this one recently, so maybe it has been disabled, no idea.

Quote:
This reminds me, is it fair in the competition to buy items cheaply from shoplifter characters lurking in the towns?
If you mean Zop, I think it should be fair to avoid buying from characters that are not in the comp. In fact, it should be fair to only trade items between party members. Of course, someone could make a rogue for the comp and steal for party members...

Quote:
Regarding the lava, I think every town offers at least torches of immunity that can grant fire immunity.
Which was conveniently sold in the 4k town when I was playing, but didn't deign buying it. Big mistake...

Quote:
Oh and I just thought about account registration. In Tomenet your account needs to be validated once by an administrator, for spam prevention. That will probably happen automatically within a few minutes by an administrator or someone who has validation privileges lurking in the background or on IRC, but you could still already create an account now so you know it'll be validated when you actually log in to use it a day later or so.
About accounts, since you can make multiple characters per account, I think it would be fair to only allow one character per account for the comp. This means only IDDC slot characters can enter the comp. It should ensure that people don't create multiple characters to gear a "super-diver".
Old November 4, 2014, 18:19   #36
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
"I know that all characters can actually swim if they wear light armour and light backpack"

Awesome, i did not know this thanks.

I almost forgot, the first thing you should do once you have gone down the stairs into the IDDC dungeon is use : to enter chat and type "/xorder" in the chat. this will start an extermination order quest. Normally you need to wait till level 5 to start one, but IDDC players can begin once they enter the dungeon.

Extermination Orders
--------------------
These are basically 'kill quests'. You need to venture out and kill a fixed
amount of a certain type of monster.
To receive an order, visit the major in the town hall (one of the '+'
doors in town), or simply type "/xorder" in the chat.
There is a certain time limit which in most cases is easily sufficient,
especially if you have the according ESP ability.

IDDC players have to kill less monsters than you would in normal mode, and get better rewards. The reward is still completely random but can help out a huge amount, iv'e been rewarded with helms of seeing, weapons of Aman and Thunderlords before.

If you complete it or fail it, just enter the command again for another quest.

Last edited by UglySquirrell; November 4, 2014 at 18:30.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2014, 19:04   #37
PowerWyrm
Veteran

Another thing that will be very useful...

When you die, you get two files generated in your /lib/user subdirectory: (nomchar)-death_(date)_screenshot.xhtml and (nomchar)-death_(date).txt.

Use the first one to post a screenshot of your death:

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=2815

Use the second one for the comp ladder:

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=16928

Seems that the formatting is very ugly though...
Old November 4, 2014, 19:53   #38
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Seems that the formatting is very ugly though...
For some reason the formatting has an extra space at the end of long lines causing the wrapping problem, if you edit it to remove those it will look like normal.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2014, 22:55   #39
Roguer
Rookie

Roguer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Use the first one to post a screenshot of your death:

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=2815
Seems there is now a Tomenet category available for screenshots. Must've just been added.
Roguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014, 16:51   #40
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Still pretty quiet in Tomenet, no huge increase noob death.

For those who want more info about Tomenet I would recommend reading (parts of) the guide which can be found on this. That thing is huge and can answer almost every question you might have.

- http://www.tomenet.net/guide.php

There is a lot of useful info like how to build macro's and what every skill does. If you are new to tomenet you really should read section 0.1 of the guide about how to get started. Or go to here and follow the pictures.

And don't be afraid to die, because you will.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote