Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old November 5, 2014, 19:17   #41
Nivim
Apprentice

Nivim is on a distinguished road
Is there anything out there that makes it easier to just jump in and figure everything out along the way? Not a huge definitive guide, but a concise overview that gives links to the guide for when you need more info later. I keep having these horrifying flashbacks to MMO-ish games I played long ago, and it would be nice to have something reassuringly fast(+31).
(The "pictures" bit is just tutorial; I'm looking for something like that which tries to cover the whole game with a bunch of choice details.)
Nivim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014, 20:17   #42
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Just try the game out is the best way to discover the game. You can move with Arrow keys and holding shift makes you run. If you start with warriors, you won't need to concentrate on spells/skills and just hack-and-slash. Strong starters are Vampire (you gain vamperic melee) Half Troll (regen), Dwarf (resist blind), Draconian (you get an esp radius at lvl 5 which grows).

And the players online are willing to help you a lot if you ask. You really don't *need* to read the whole guild, but I would advise to read the 0.1 section.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014, 22:57   #43
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Hmm, there are actually tips as you level up, they help quite a bit. I recommend creating an IDDC slot charecter (Press E at Character Selection) just jumping in grabbing some healing potions, a lantern and flasks of oil, some +damage scrolls for ranged if going that path maybe a mage staff, and aspell or 2 if going the caster route, some phase door scrolls and a handful of satisfy hunger sscrolls as well.

Autoretaliation is automatic for melee, set up with @O on bows or @Oa on books "a" is the spell letter you want to cast, could change this to "e" "f" whatever spell you want. And remember to run with Shift. If you have questions, feel free to ask in chat.

I'm at work now so just thought i'd put a couple of sample builds and a bit of explanation for them.

Istar: Start off as a classic glass cannon mage type with a few spells, and a mage staff (these speed up your mana regeneration)

I say start off as a glass cannon, later on they gain access to an incredible spell called

Disruption Shield
Conjures a shield that protects you from taking damage.
Instead, the shield will consume your mana to absorb it.
Only Istari are able to really get the most out of it -
they get 1 mana point deducted for each absorbed point of
damage. Other classes will instead get 2 mana points
deducted for each damage point.
Required skill level for first spell level: 35.

With decent gear at end game your looking at a spellcaster with low hp but a magic shield that gives them a huge boost to survivability. 500hp +1200-1500 mana shield.

Here is a pretty standard Istar build will work with any race but i recommend Gnome or elf for low exp penalty

skill
SKILL_CONVEYANCE 6.400
SKILL_MANA 50.000
SKILL_FIRE 50.000
SKILL_EARTH 30.400
SKILL_DIVINATION 40.000
SKILL_TEMPORAL 50.000
SKILL_UDUN 50.000

Conveyance- Phase Door and Disarm

Mana-Disruption Shield, Resistance

Fire-Fireflash your main damage spell, does double damage to Evil later.

Earth-Dig,Stone Prison(creates walls around you,great to safely drink from fountains) at level 30 in earth you get shards resistance.

Divination-Detect Monsters,Identify,Greater Identify, Sense Hidden (detects Traps),Reveal Ways (detects doors/stairs) and Vision (maps level around you, at Lv25: Maps and lights the whole level.) 39 points into divination brings it to spell level 25.

Temporal-Haste Istar get a bonus to haste spells that no other classes get, makes them insanely fast late game. Magelock (glyph of warding spell)

Udon-Wraithform Turns your form immaterial. Let's you walk/run through walls. Hellfire (does double damage against good)

With your remaining points, you can easily max another school, or put them into spellpower to make your spells stronger. Considering that none of us will probably get past 50, i recomend maxing out mana with leftover points to make your shield more powerful.

Now this is the build i will be using i call it "The Lord of Darkness'er"
This build requires the Corrupted Maiar Runemaster. skill points are simple. And he/she becomes absolutely insanely powerful.

SKILL_NECROMANCY 50.000
SKILL_TRAUMATURGY 50.000
SKILL_R_DARK 25 50.000
SKILL_R_NEXU 50 50.000
SKILL_R_NETH 25 50.000
SKILL_R_CHAO 50 50.000
SKILL_R_MANA 50 50.000

Runespell tables
http://www.tomenet.net/guide.php?chapter=6.8c

Runes are easy to use just hit % for macros and z for the wizard. Now just follow the steps.

Traumaturgy means you will rarely run out of mana and Necromancy keeps your health up.

Inscribe runes once you find them

If you inscribe @O[a-g][a-g] on a rune in your inventory, you will retaliate
with a spell of the selected modifier and type. For example, if you set the
inscription to @Oac on a rune of light, the 'ball’ spell type will be
selected, with a 'minimized' spell modifier. It is advised to use the !R
inscription to prevent your last rune from being consumed in spell failure.

Buy a mage staff before leaving town, you have to kill the first few monsters with sword and boomerang. Cast acid ball centered on yourself to destroy non ego gear for identify, cloud spells are great early (cloud of sound=happy) enhanced ball spells are great mid, and enhanced bolt (turns into a nonreflecting beam) against end game or reflecting enemies. I dare you not to have fun playing this class.

Last edited by UglySquirrell; November 5, 2014 at 23:14.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014, 23:59   #44
Roguer
Rookie

Roguer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivim View Post
Is there anything out there that makes it easier to just jump in and figure everything out along the way? Not a huge definitive guide, but a concise overview that gives links to the guide for when you need more info later. I keep having these horrifying flashbacks to MMO-ish games I played long ago, and it would be nice to have something reassuringly fast(+31).
(The "pictures" bit is just tutorial; I'm looking for something like that which tries to cover the whole game with a bunch of choice details.)
As Arjen said, the game actually throws "newbie hints" at you, which appear in the chat window in yellow colour. For example the first time you step onto a staircase a message will appear saying something like "You stand on a staircase downwards. Press the '>' key to enter.". If you watch those "newbie hints" you won't need to read much really.

What you should definitely read though is the paragraphs each describing the race and the class you picked! Which are listed in chapter (6.4) Races and (6.5) Classes respectively.
It'll tell you the intrinsic abilities, strengths and weaknesses as well as some hints about your race and class.

When you create a character and get to the stat point distribution menu the game will actually suggest minimum values for certain stats. For example iirc for warriors a min strength of 18/40 will be suggested. You should probably stick closely to those and you'll be ok in the early game.

Classes easiest/most forgiving to play for starters are: Warrior, Rogue, Paladin, Druid, Mindcrafter (just make sure to get Psionic Blast spell macroed right away).

Intermediate: Archer (easy when teaming up with a meat shield who keeps the monsters away from you), Mimic (mostly plays straight-forward like a warrior, but need to hunt for monster forms which can be hard for beginners, especially if they don't know much about monsters), Ranger (can do well in many fields such as melee, ranged weapons and spells, somewhat similar to an adventurer, probably requires some basic concept aka experience).

Hardest to play maybe: Adventurer (cause it's a jack of all trades so you can end up terribly mediocre in every regard if you don't know what you're doing), Shaman (triple-relation of forms, combat skills and magic spells), Priest (weak in almost all regards the beginning - great early on party asset though if he buys the 'Cure Wounds' spell and keeps healing his team mates from the back line!), Istar (glass cannon in the beginning, so if you are out of mana at the wrong time you could die fast), Runemaster (needs some time to get a grip of the spell system, and has not that high hit points, ie glass cannonish).

Last edited by Roguer; November 6, 2014 at 02:37.
Roguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2014, 03:02   #45
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Comp 165 is LIVE! Go go goooooo
Old November 6, 2014, 03:17   #46
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Comp 165 is LIVE! Go go goooooo
Maybe just maybe I'll take a stab or seven at this one tomorrow.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2014, 08:08   #47
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
I recommend forming a party for IDDC diving to increase survivability. Even a party of two characters will be more effective than playing solo. A few tips there:

1) Ensure that one character can detect monsters by spell (Divination, Holy Support...) or race power (Draconic ESP) to avoid running into trouble (OoD monster, ego giants, pack of dark elven warlocks or hounds...). Once you can, absolutely buy a rod of detection: you never know when you will find that "you feel like a stranger -- you lose sense of direction" type of level.

2) Ensure that one character can identify (Divination, Arcane Lore) to maximize the party wealth.

3) If you play two spellcasters, try to play an INT-based and a WIS-based one to share stat potions without having to split them.

4) You mana is precious, don't run out of it... so let one player rest while the other is casting spells to keep the party mana pool up. Otherwise you will burn your supplies too fast... and supplies already burn very fast (literally).

5) Share your gold and finds. Would be too bad to find Orome as a Priest and Aeglos as an Istar and play solo... Remember, level requirements don't apply in IDDC, you can share anything in a party.

6) This is already in the guide... but if you play a Maia, always go down first. You will need to kill that candlebearer or darkling and you're the only one that can generate them. Otherwise let the character with swimming and/or immunity to fire go down first: the landing spot on a level is placed completely random -- this includes big rivers and lava streams disconnected from the rest of the level -- so you don't want your entire party to drown or fry on the spot.
Old November 6, 2014, 09:14   #48
Nivim
Apprentice

Good posts, but mostly what I got from them is 1- when something confuses you terribly bother someone in chat and 2- you and your entire party can insta-die upon entering a new level.
Old November 6, 2014, 09:43   #49
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Another vital tip: once you reach the first town, absolutely buy a "sprig of athelas". Undead monsters in TomeNET can inflict the "black breath" status, which will constantly drain stats and experience. It's rare, but if you're stuck with it, it's probably game over.

Concerning your starting combo, I strongly suggest something that can fight and cast. If you party with someone, you can play a pure spellcaster, since the hardest part will be the early game and after a while you can pretty much stand on your own.

Warrior: easy at start, not so easy when you start to meet smart monsters who can obliterate you and your supplies to ashes with ranged spells; partying with a spellcaster is a must; if you're alone, hope to find a great shooter and macro your techniques (sprint and such); antimagic may also help in that case.

Istar: tough at start, because limited starting cash to get spellbooks (you have to decide if you want to buy that Identify book or not); partying with a meat shield is a must; if you're alone... good luck; since you won't reach level 50 (probably), don't bother with conventional builds; get a cloud spell and some traumaturgy.

Priest: clearly a support character, you won't be able to survive alone without either melee or spells in the beginning; just skill Holy Curing and heal your tem mate(s); once you get levels and WIS, skill Holy Offense and wipe everything with offensive spells.

Rogue: probably the only class that should play solo; pump your stealth, avoid fights, dodge attacks, dive deep and fast; learn some magic for ultimate survivability.

Mimic: very easy, especially if you play Maia; you can party with pretty much anybody; learn powerful forms quickly, skill Astral for your ranged attack and master a weapon (enlightened) or martial arts (corrupted).

Archer: the most powerful class (because high dps)... in a party; if alone, monsters in melee range will prevent you from shooting unless you're high level with high Calmness skill, so you will need a truckload of phase door scrolls.

Paladin: hard to categorize, since it's in between a warrior and a priest, so you don't have an easy or a hard start; play like a fighter with buffs and support spells; play a Maia for huge boosts to your melee and holy skills (harder at lower level, easier after level 20).

Ranger: the mage counterpart to the paladin; play like a fighter with ranged damage (usually Fire) and support spells.

Adventurer: you can learn any skill but you suck at everything; not recommended.

Druid: very easy in the beginning, and another class that can play solo; you get specific forms with nice abilities, martial arts fighting, offensive/support spells; not so good in the end, I tend to find martial arts very weak as druid, and endgame forms aren't that great; and mana seems to deplete very fast since spell costs are outrageous for a druid + no traumaturgy.

Shaman: not as hard as it seems, especially if you play a Maia; Astral will help you early on, then you can choose between enlightened (pure spellcaster with holy spells) or corrupted (martial arts with Fire school).

Runemaster: pure spellcaster with power growing exponentially; at start probably the weakest, in the endgame probably the strongest; deal over 1500 damage against monsters non resistant to elemental damage (fire, cold, acid or lightning); use runes to even improve your equipment; pump dex and int to get zero-fail spells which require no spellbooks (runes are marginally useful, no need to carry tons of them); make a corrupted Maia for almost unlimited power with Traumaturgy and enhanced rune skills; you can even skill weapons and boomerangs if you don't want to play as pure spellcaster.

Mindcrafter: very easy, since you fight well and get offensive/support psionic abilities.

And if you want to see the most successful IDDC dives so far to get an idea what to play, check here:

http://www.tomenet.net/legends-iddc.php
Old November 6, 2014, 11:20   #50
Nivim
Apprentice

Welp, seems I'd been asking the wrong questions; since the normal linux client gave errors, and despite Debo's barf, I compiled from source as per the guide using the "TomeNET 4.5.8 complete source code (client+server) (2.8 MB)" and after running the game, connecting to the europe server, and logging in (/auto-creating an account) the game shows me the character slot screen, but no longer responds to anything at all but terminate/suspend.
I read the mention of the validation, but I wouldn't expect that to prevent quitting, and should probably give some sort of notice.