AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old July 5, 2013, 00:45   #1
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Sil: compilation of annoying deaths

Please post your own.

I just had a great start with a naugrim master smith. He found Orcrist and Shield of the Swan before 300 ft. Then at 350 i came across what must have been two standard packs of easterling archers, at least 6 of them total. I whittled them down till there were 2 left and I had 20 hps with decent protection. I moved once towards them and according to the combat rolls window, one rolled a 20 and the other a 19, against two rolls of 1 for me. Each double criticaled for 3d11, bringing me down to -3 hp.

Still haven't won with a smithing dwarf, but they're pretty fun.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013, 01:13   #2
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Did you take blocking?
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013, 23:00   #3
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
> *** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
> You are too full to drink it.
> You die.

---

> You hit the Great cold-drake!!!!
> The Great cold-drake stares deep into your eyes!
> You fall into a deep trance!
> The Great cold-drake bites you!!
> You die.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013, 00:00   #4
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
My most annoying death to date was one with my Hugoroids guy who had great protection from Nevrast combined with 20+ Evasion and a turd Great cold-drake still managed an unexpected death bite
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013, 08:15   #5
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
The young fire-drake breathes fire. The young fire-drake breathes fire. The young fire-drake claws you! You die. Standing next to Anguirel, Belthrolding, and boots of Fingon.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2013, 02:03   #6
BlueFish
Swordsman

My dwarven smith just found The Forge 'Orodruth' at 200 ft. I'm doing a slow-starter sort of build and I couldn't take the forge or even stay on the level. But I had to try, and of course died.

What's Orodruth? What would it have done for me?
Old July 7, 2013, 02:32   #7
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
My dwarven smith just found The Forge 'Orodruth' at 200 ft. I'm doing a slow-starter sort of build and I couldn't take the forge or even stay on the level. But I had to try, and of course died.

What's Orodruth? What would it have done for me?
Orodruth is an enchanted forge on steroids. It gives you a large bonus to your smithing skill when using it -- I don't remember the precise number bc I've only found it twice
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013, 04:29   #8
BlueFish
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Orodruth is an enchanted forge on steroids. It gives you a large bonus to your smithing skill when using it -- I don't remember the precise number bc I've only found it twice
I checked the source, it's +7 smithing.

It should be generated about 10% as often as an enchanted forge, though probably seen less since it'll likely often be generated without being seen, and from there it would never be generated again that game.
Old August 18, 2013, 00:10   #9
BlueFish
Swordsman

Surviving to that second forge in a slow-starting smithing build, only to find it guarded by gorcrows and purple worms. Killing the crows, and, eventually, the swarming worms, and ending up with negative 1 strength. Spending the next 20 minutes searching for a way to restore that strength, before inevitably dying.
Old September 25, 2013, 03:00   #10
BlueFish
Swordsman

Had a really fun game last night. I was trolling 950' with the Great Axe of Nogrod, and over 100 hps unbuffed. But I only sustained con and str. I'd never died to Thurinwethil before, and never really even noticed her. She's always sort of melted before me when I've encountered her. Not this time. Drain grace has a snowballing effect which makes you less able to resist further draining. I died at -10 grace, I think, and negative numbers for all the rest of my stats too, even with the sustains.

It was only today that I realized that a Grace potion not only increases grace but gives you temporary grace sustain while the buff is active.

I think in the future, I'll probably make a Robe of Permanence when I can, as long as I have a restore mushroom on hand. One swap for sustain all seems like a good use of an inventory slot.

That was a strange game for the tiny number of dex potions I found. I think I found 3 all game, and I was just on the verge of 1000 being min-depth.

Also found Daillir early, the +11 arrow. Not too useful for a dwarf smith, but still fun. Good for dragonflies.

Actually a really fun game, and not too frustrating a death. I'd never even noticed that vampire before and I have a new respect for her.