AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old May 6, 2014, 10:44   #11
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Throwing weapons never land on traps. A few stacks will highlight the trap squares in a maze.

Tapping Elbereth on & off with an archer will keep a Troll in bow range.

Many fleeing enemies try to "hide" in the dark vs an archer with keen senses.
Now these are good secret techs!

Does anyone have a full list of floor lamp related secret techs? (Like the 'perception bug' thing)
Old May 6, 2014, 12:25   #12
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by locus View Post
Dropping glowing items at your feet to increase your darkness resistance is a classic example.
Does this mechanic work as its creators intended, or are we "exploiting a bug"?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:44   #13
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I don't think this is secret anymore, but it isn't well documented.

If you are getting frustrated with (normal-speed) archers, there is a pretty simple formula you can use to game their AI to trap them against a wall:

Code:
######
#....####
#.......o
#....####
#..@.#
######

Move two steps down from hallway mouth and one step away from wall that contains the mouth.

######
#....####
#....o...
#....####
#..@.#
######

Pass turns until the archer moves into the hallway mouth square

######
#...o####
#........
#....####
#...@#
######

Move against the wall. The archer will either move straight or diagonally out of the hallway, I can't remember.

######
#...o####
#...@....
#....####
#....#
######

Move up and trap him.
This might not be 100% true to life but it's close enough that you should be able to easily replicate it.
Old May 6, 2014, 13:37   #14
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Many fleeing enemies try to "hide" in the dark vs an archer with keen senses.
This makes me want to try a keen senses archer. I like it when games reward the player for getting a new ability like this, rather than have the monsters just know when they can be seen (though I suppose the ideal is that after one well aimed attack they then work it out). My favourite example is how in Nethack 'see invisible' lets you watch all the quite cunning things that invisible stalkers are doing (including waiting for you to approach them, and moving to another square when you work out where they are by attacking them). They still do these behaviours, teaching you how the game normally functions, but letting you now get the upper hand.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 13:40   #15
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I don't think this is secret anymore
That's probably right. Scatha has been doing this one since before the first public release but was careful to let the community work it out for itself. I often end up fighting them by my own archery or a more ad hoc cornering them in the room's corners, both of which actually work well enough. The corridor corner one sounds like the easiest exploit to remember, while this one sounds like the most powerful.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 14:11   #16
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Now these are good secret techs!

Does anyone have a full list of floor lamp related secret techs? (Like the 'perception bug' thing)
No full list, but there are possibilities here:

Light on player tile affects morale on light sensitive enemies (light level -3 as penalty afaik). High native light + floor lamp should already reach a zone where song of trees works as selective Elbereth. (Now this is hardly useful as trolls resist fear and need an active effect to be put to flight even if they already have negative morale.) E.g. if there were two tile wide floors a double line of lamps (with you standing on it) should be better than warding against light sensitive opponents.

Another (not really secret) tech is worm farming in midgame to build up slaying bonus against uniques, but it is hardly ever mentioned or practiced it seems.

Losing the path to you means instant unawareness, making earthquakes in corridors a surprising stealth option.

@archer: The group AI would improve tremendously if the enemies were to set up crossfire positions from time to time - where all of them can shoot you when you try to shoot one of them and wait there for you instead of moving into LoS one by one (just making some of them not shooting into corridor tiles could probably do the deed) + flee from being trapped just one turn earlier.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 16:14   #17
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Another anti-archer trick is the L-bend of a corridor, though it only works if they can't loop behind you. Back down the passage until an arrow comes towards you. Move forward. 1 archer will be stuck at the bend. Good for separating large packs into individual archers.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 19:41   #18
Infinitum
Adept

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Whilst hallucinating, Morgoth, Lord of Darkness will always display as "Melkor, Rightful King of Arda" (or somesuch, can't remember exactly). Useful for when you get blasted by some H or another in the throneroom and don't want to let up (or at least it would be if Herbs of Rage weren't as prevalent in it.

As for actually useful tricks: Doors! Intelligent melee pack monsters will always open doors closed by the player, and will generally try to occupy previously closed doorways, even if this would cause them to enter 1v1 melee situations. Conversely, Archers will never open a door adjacent to a player no matter their morale, meaning a closed door usually gives some respite to heal up midfight (or midrunningaway). Closing adjacent doors is also useful when you have cornered an archer at the mouth of a corridor and want to avoid enemies still within the corridor from firing at you. Granted a lot of monsters will eventually start bashing doors, but proper door control is still what makes large packs of orcs and cats bearable in the early-to midgame.

Similarily, it's pretty easy to score potshots on packs in rooms from within corridors by dancing back and forth a few tiles from from the corridor entrance, enticing monsters to attempt pursuit before backing away to avoid being fired upon.

Last edited by Infinitum; May 6, 2014 at 22:51.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2014, 03:48   #19
wobbly
Veteran

Aggressive monster's will break the normal pack behaviour & enter 1 on 1 fights giving some utility to shields of wrath & horns of warning.

Throwing weapons don't trigger attacks of opportunity. Sometimes useful with slaying weapons or for instance fleeing orc thieves.

Last edited by wobbly; May 12, 2014 at 04:46.
Old May 12, 2014, 05:28   #20
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Light on player tile affects morale on light sensitive enemies (light level -3 as penalty afaik). High native light + floor lamp should already reach a zone where song of trees works as selective Elbereth. (Now this is hardly useful as trolls resist fear and need an active effect to be put to flight even if they already have negative morale.) E.g. if there were two tile wide floors a double line of lamps (with you standing on it) should be better than warding against light sensitive opponents.
I'm starting to get a better appreciation for this as a viable tactic. I noticed today that a feanorian lamp of brightness + doriath sword + wolfbane is enough to make werewolves flee on sight. I'm actually pretty impressed how well thought out the morale mechanics are.

Edit: & horn of terror + staff of light just saved me while webbed from a spider of Gorgoroth.

Last edited by wobbly; May 12, 2014 at 07:01.