Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old June 26, 2014, 23:01   #21
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
More on light & fear. 4 light radius with +4 orc-bane & orc archers are fleeing on sight.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014, 23:26   #22
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
More on light & fear. 4 light radius with +4 orc-bane & orc archers are fleeing on sight.
Depends on floor and number of orcs in sight, afaik, but 4 light = 5 light on square = 2 penalty to orcs + 4 penalty by bane. Really happy more people get to play with light + morale.

That a slaying weapon has any effect on sight (without hitting) is news to me. It isn't in the manual for sure.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014, 23:45   #23
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
That a slaying weapon has any effect on sight (without hitting) is news to me. It isn't in the manual for sure.
It will for orcs/wraiths/shadow spiders(simply by increasing light radius), werewolfs I'm unsure off, are they light sensitive?
Old June 27, 2014, 09:26   #24
taptap
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
It will for orcs/wraiths/shadow spiders(simply by increasing light radius), werewolfs I'm unsure off, are they light sensitive?
Indeed, forgot about light increase, still it doesn't matter for wolves.
Old June 30, 2014, 13:31   #25
taptap
Knight

Anyone tried blocking vs. charge? Ok, orc warriors are not the most dangerous enemies in game, but blocking seems to exist for this situation of a single more dangerous attack.
Old June 30, 2014, 16:59   #26
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Anyone tried blocking vs. charge? Ok, orc warriors are not the most dangerous enemies in game, but blocking seems to exist for this situation of a single more dangerous attack.
I tried it a bit with focused attack & couldn't really get it to work. They still hit through in mail with a kite shield, though of course not as hard. I think it would work if orc warriors didn't chain charge. I found it to hard to work out when the orcs swapped & I'm pretty sure they double swap sometimes. Your only averaging 3.5 less damage & they have more chances to swap if you've waited a turn.

Edit: I found block more useful if your singing Elbereth when your surrounded & just need to survive enough turns.
Old July 1, 2014, 04:41   #27
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Doesn't blocking synergize with concentration or something like that?
Old July 1, 2014, 11:42   #28
skadefryd
Rookie

skadefryd is on a distinguished road
Should synergize with focused attack (bonus if you waited a turn before attacking). Personally, I don't think it makes much sense that enemies can get charge bonuses by swapping in. The possible exception would be enemies that don't merely "swap in" but rather push aside weaker monsters (like the description in other Angband variants goes).
skadefryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014, 12:06   #29
taptap
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skadefryd View Post
Should synergize with focused attack (bonus if you waited a turn before attacking). Personally, I don't think it makes much sense that enemies can get charge bonuses by swapping in. The possible exception would be enemies that don't merely "swap in" but rather push aside weaker monsters (like the description in other Angband variants goes).
There must be some charge avoidance movement tech. Maybe in combination with flanking. 45 degree forward movement, without flanking the result is a free but normal attack for the opponent, right? Only works when the orc warrior approaches orthogonally.

Strong smiths could carve contraptions into the rock (or well at least the quartz) where an orc warrior can only approach through diagonals with a 90 degree angle, thus breaking the charge.

Last edited by taptap; July 1, 2014 at 12:43.
Old July 1, 2014, 21:57   #30
wobbly
Veteran

Do you still get the stealth bonus for not moving if you pass a turn in combat? Say block/assasination/focused strike with song of lorien?