AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 9, 2018, 20:53   #101
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoften View Post
If that's the only comment in response to asking for opinions, you can post to other threads and not this one.
Take it down a notch there, chief. I'm trying to encourage you to step outside your comfort zone, that's all.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 20:59   #102
Petoften
Swordsman

Petoften is on a distinguished road
Level 43, second mob was another unique, Adunaphel the Quiet.

Also quite hard - was barely winning with a couple CCW used when he summoned a mature dragon to help.

I was getting quite low - 60 HP while he was throwing acid - but used my last mushroom of emergency and killed him and the dragon.

Now I have hallucinations and am killing more stuff that came but got him.

Not looking like great loot - but maybe it is, a crossbow of accuracy (+24, 9), have to see how that compares to my bow when the monsters are cleared.
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 21:00   #103
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I think Derakon's point was that many of your current dilemmas are of a sort that you will have to deal with very frequently as you delve deeper, and you need to learn to make these judgements with the information you've gained already.

You are extremely lucky there was an Ancient Dragon there preventing you from getting yourself killed.
You are not supposed to be able to kill Medusa with your gear and clvl, though if you really wanted to, you'd need to load up on buffs, healing, and also create an anti-summoning corridor. That might be enough. Maybe.

You didn't miss any loot from Medusa. Yes, technically, her inventory was generated at the start of the level, but since you have no way of knowing what it was, to you it was effectively not generated.

You need to get over this apparent conviction you have that you should be trying to kill things, and get all the loot. There are only two monsters you need to kill. Sauron, and Morgoth. Every other monster should be fought either because you cannot avoid it, or because you want to fight the monster.
If you cannot reliably avoid fights, then you're going to die at some point to a monster you can't beat. Either that or you spend forever very shallow and get bored and die to inattention. If you want to fight a monster, it should be because you can defeat it easily.
You should not be fighting Master Liches, or multiple dragons at once, or Medusas, or staying in fights when you're below half health.

EDIT: Fighting Adunaphel was possibly not a bad idea. Passwall monsters are tougher to avoid than most, and this gets rid of Adunaphel forever.

Are you fighting monsters by chugging CCW when standing next to them? CCW is soon not going to be able to consistently outheal monster damage, as you can see. You need to think about your positioning more, and you need to phase away to heal more often.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 21:02   #104
Petoften
Swordsman

About going down to 'only 2 copies of spellbooks' - two of my three books already lost the spare and are on the last copy. Back to town soon.
Old July 9, 2018, 21:06   #105
Petoften
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
You are not supposed to be able to kill Medusa with your gear and clvl, though if you really wanted to, you'd need to load up on buffs, healing, and also create an anti-summoning corridor. That might be enough. Maybe.
Ya, I know nothing of this game's uniques - Medusa is just another like any other unique as far as I know.

I assume I have to kill some uniques to gear up?

No idea she is 'the first really dangerous' unique or why the game throws her before people can have a chance - the info is helpful.
Old July 9, 2018, 21:09   #106
Petoften
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
EDIT: Fighting Adunaphel was possibly not a bad idea. Passwall monsters are tougher to avoid than most, and this gets rid of Adunaphel forever.

Are you fighting monsters by chugging CCW when standing next to them? CCW is soon not going to be able to consistently outheal monster damage, as you can see. You need to think about your positioning more, and you need to phase away to heal more often.
Good to know it was a good idea to get rid of Adunaphel.

Yes, sometimes I am chugging CCW next to them - but am already doing things like trying to position. I tried to move to where only Adunaphel or the dragon could hit - and Adunaphel just came right through the wall keeping both of them on me, and just moving to try to do that can give them free attacks. That's when I ate the mushroom.

And I agree, I both am seeing the limits of the heal potions - they're already barely keeping up with the damage - and how few I have of them.
Old July 9, 2018, 21:14   #107
Petoften
Swordsman

Between a bow x3 (+11, +15) and a crossbow x4 (+24, +9)...

The first number is accuracy? What is the x3 x4?

I don't have similar arrows and bolts to compare their damage.

Maybe the crossbow isn't worth keeping as nice as the accuracy is?
Old July 9, 2018, 21:20   #108
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Bottom line: with a very few possible exceptions (monsters with DROP_GREAT) you should avoid difficult battles:
1. You will use too many supplies. CCW, !Heal, and !Speed are limited in number. (Mushrooms of emergency are vanishingly rare.)
2. You will die horribly.
And by avoid I mean really avoid, as in: don't go anywhere near the monster; don't even wake it up if you can. Otherwise teleport it away from a knight's move in a corridor.

Finally: once you have enough speed, 400+ dakage per turn, and 5-10% fail on the healing spell, you'll be able to kill just about every monster in the game without much effort. Focus on reaching that point: a high level paladin is essentially a tank.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018, 21:23   #109
Petoften
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
(Mushrooms of emergency are vanishingly rare.)
This is the first game I've seen them.

So I guess having four, and seeing another in the shop I didn't buy for 60 gold, that was not a good idea not to buy it, oops.

They have been damn useful. Any opinion on the bow pick?
Old July 9, 2018, 21:24   #110
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Level 43 is the depth these unique elemental lords (Ariel, Vargo, Waldern and Quaker) start to appear. I'm gonna say this in advance since you obviously do not mind hints being spoilery: They are NOT worth fighting. All of them have very high HP for this level and nasty item-destructing attacks and they NEVER DROP ANYTHING. They just pummel you from afar and destroy items on the floor just by walking over them.

Of these, Waldern and Ariel are particularly deadly. Waldern having water bolts and whirlpools and Ariel having confusing melee attacks.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote