Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 10, 2018, 02:28   #131
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Indeed. And again I suggest: make a save file at dl 40 and use it as a starting character. This is not save scumming. It is practice play where practice really is useful.

I note that with one character you made it to DL 46. With the next, to DL 43. THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE. You have 80 levels of practice where the monsters mostly are not dangerous. You have less than 9 levels where they mostly are. When you start from town again, you will be repeating this pattern.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 03:36   #132
Petoften
Knight

Petoften is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Indeed. And again I suggest: make a save file at dl 40 and use it as a starting character.
Funny thing about that. For the first time, I made a copy shortly before this happened per your post. If copying the char.txt is how it's done.

I've always followed the rule of rogue, but will have to consider whether to indulge in this.
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 03:43   #133
Pete Mack
Prophet

No char.txt won't do. The save file is in {angband}/lib/user/save
It is a binary file. Start again from CL 1 and make a copy at dl 40. Then when you die, copy the backup into the character file again.

I recommend rogue as the class, with gnome, kobold, or high elf as the race. Part of that is rogue is personal preference. Part of that is that rogue has the best stealth and detection of any class, which makes it easier to pick your fights.
Old July 10, 2018, 04:56   #134
Petoften
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
No char.txt won't do. The save file is in {angband}/lib/user/save
It is a binary file. Start again from CL 1 and make a copy at dl 40. Then when you die, copy the backup into the character file again.

I recommend rogue as the class, with gnome, kobold, or high elf as the race. Part of that is rogue is personal preference. Part of that is that rogue has the best stealth and detection of any class, which makes it easier to pick your fights.
Well crap, then the last game is lost. Rogue was my least favorite so far though.
Old July 10, 2018, 06:34   #135
Pete Mack
Prophet

Sure you need to start over. But getting to DL 40 doesn't take all that long anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoften View Post
Well crap, then the last game is lost. Rogue was my least favorite so far though.
Old July 10, 2018, 06:36   #136
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Rogues are great, you just have to learn how to play them.
If you have problems with the weaker races, try high elf or dunadan. The experience penalty makes it a bit tedious, but in exchange they are a bit easier in the early game.

(And you are probably gonna die around 40-ish levels anyway.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 06:49   #137
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Oh, and I am also really surprised, that you made it that deep without using the "l"ook command.

You get a basic description of a monster with vague hints, what it might do to you. If you use the rod of probing, you will get detailed infos about hitpoints and attacks.
You can get these infos the hard way also, fighting all the monsters and suffer their damage output.
These infos are stored in your character file, meaning that they are available to successors using the same savefile.

Last edited by Mondkalb; July 10, 2018 at 07:19.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 16:01   #138
Petoften
Knight

Too bad there's not a utility to let a game be recreated from a character text file dump.
Old July 10, 2018, 16:07   #139
Pete Mack
Prophet

That really would be save scumming.
Quote:
Too bad there's not a utility to let a game be recreated from a character text file dump.
Old July 10, 2018, 16:46   #140
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Text files simply don't have enough details to recreate the game. A lot of important information, most notably the current map (including monster health and inventory, items on the ground, etc.), is not captured.

I guess you could plausibly make a utility that read a character dump and created a similar character in a randomly-generated town. But it'd be painful to implement and pretty cheaty, since you could just take an existing dump, add a bunch of powerful artifacts to your home, tweak your stats, etc, then "recreate" the character.

I mean, everyone should be free to play the game the way they want to, but there's a thin line between facilitating cheating and encouraging it, and for most players, cheating isn't actually fun in the long term...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote