|July 19, 2012, 00:57||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2009
Rogue winner on mobile device
I just won the game with a rogue played on my mobile phone using Angdroid (ladder entry). This was my second attempt at a character, the first being killed by an orc unique at around 1000' after a phase door went wrong. I thought Angdroid was a good port and did a creditable job of dealing with the interface limitations (I had some challenges but most were probably unavoidable).
I only had one narrow escape when I was on low HP after a nether breath from Azriel. I tried to teleport using a staff, failed and watched him breathe nether again. I was expecting to see a tombstone after the more prompt, but apparently I had beaten him down enough that he wasn't breathing for full damage, and I was left with 10 HP.
This is the first time I've played in a few years. Overall this version does feel easier than some of the earlier ones if you know what you're doing, although for newer players I imagine the difficulty is still there. Some thoughts:
- No more jelly pits. I didn't miss them. Having said that, demon pits seem to be the new jelly pits (especially the ones at very deep levels).
- No more autoscum. I bet there was grumbling about that one (personally I never liked it, so I don't mind).
- Elemental brand on non-weapons also seems to be gone or at least rare enough that I never found it - also a good change in my opinion.
- The issue I encountered with scarcity of stat gain potions in my last game seems to have been fixed. The drop rate felt about right for this one. Potions of augmentation dropping at the point where they are still useful is also nice.
- Two-part level feelings. I'm not crazy about this one - I always felt that there should be some risk/reward tradeoff involved in these, so a good feeling might be either a nice item, a dangerous monster or possibly both. That aspect seems to be gone now. Just my opinion though.
A couple of minor issues I noticed:
- My monster memory for Dracolich said that it dropped 37 good items. Not sure if this is an issue with the port or the core game. The first one that I killed was carrying about a million items it had picked up - not sure if that had anything to do with it.
- Trident of Wrath is no longer extra-heavy - it's back down to base weight for a trident. This appears to have been a deliberate change according to the bug tracker entry. Why was this done? Is the intention to move away from non-standard weapon weight as a flavor item for artifacts? If so, why wasn't the Glaive of Pain changed as well?
|July 19, 2012, 09:59||#2|
Angband Devteam member
Thanks for the feedback, and congrats on your win. Glad most of the changes are to your liking.
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Angband on mobile device||Mark||Vanilla||7||June 16, 2010 15:37|
|Hobbit Rogue - possible Winner or just a worthless try||SaThaRiel||Vanilla||24||March 1, 2010 00:42|
|Is there a port for Windows Mobile?||bdo||Vanilla||4||March 31, 2009 12:22|
|Mobile versions?||Drowis||Variants||1||January 12, 2009 03:11|
|Angband for mobile phones||Lateralus||Vanilla||14||December 17, 2007 19:44|