Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 12, 2020, 02:33   #11
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
*Spoiler*
Clairvoyance and Enlightenment equipment activations have very low failure rates by default and in my opinion should be balanced by INT + race+class+personality ability to use magical devices + clvl.
Old May 12, 2020, 20:40   #12
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
I have these requests, more like Hugostyle requests because they affect my playstyle or why I do certain things mostly for IRL-realism-reasons:
'Death and destruction!' This pleaseth me! *chaos patron reward*: This normally *Destructs* the non-permanent wall areas around the player inside dungeons only. But it has no effect in the wilderness. Sideways (aka rodent @ angband.live) says it shouldn't do anything in the wilderness, regardless of mountains or trees, because it would be weird. Dean Anderson's Cthangband's version of the destruction actually 'destroys' the nearby wilderness surroundings. That said, I really think it should destroy the nearby wilderness surroundings. And if not, it should auto-teleport players when it doesn't work
I think the idea behind the walls created by destruction is the roof collapsing, which is why it doesn't happen on the surface. I kind of like the idea of something happening, though, but weaker than if underground. Maybe it should create lava or rubble or dirt instead of walls if on the surface, and only affect a % of the tiles in radius. I'd have to be careful with town interactions to make sure a player couldn't ruin their game if you're in no_wilderness mode and destroy the only town.

Quote:
'Let me relieve thee of thine oppressors!' *chaos patron reward*: This either gives player the chance to genocide a monster type or mass genocides everything in the neighborhood WITHOUT causing the player to take HP damage. Sideways says players don't suffer any HP damage because it uses the chaos patron's HP (who knows much HP the chaos patrons really have --maybe make this like the Guardian Forces in FF7/FF8). I'm interested on what the Zangband devs had in mind. imo, this chaos patron action should drain the HP because that's just me. And also make this always teleport the player when it genocides - why? 1) Chaotic effect 2) kind of protective effect for player 3) #1 plus #2
I don't follow your logic for why you would want to be teleported right after the local area was genocided. Wouldn't that be less helpful? I also don't think it makes sense to drain your HP, since its the patron's casting and they're trying to help you.

Quote:
Player blindness mechanics should be changed so that the player doesn't see objects on the floor. Instead, it should 'read feet knocking over a Broad Axe' for example. I tend to want to view *band as a Microsoft Simulator 2021. Hehe. I don't know if a blind-HUD is even a good idea. I've had many discussions about the player-blindness should work and this is an example.
Something like "you feel a broad axe on the floor"? What might make sense would be to prevent auto-ID/pseudo on walkover if you are blind, and then check the pack for items that need IDing/pseudo when you can see again. 'Bands basically assume the player is anal about mapping and remembering exactly what items are where on the map, so anything you had already found should still be known if you walk over it blind.

Quote:
Corpse weights and skeletons should be their true IRL-like weights, not just 4lb for corpses and 2lb for skeletons. Do this for all classes. Or at least do this for the Chaos-Warriors because they're Chaotic after all. I might be the only one who thinks this should be the case for IRL-realism reasons.
I've never paid attention to the corpse weights. Realistically they should be much heavier than weapons, but that might make it too onerous to carry wanted corpses and skeletons back to the surface. A lot of games have you collect scalps or tusks or something like that as evidence of kills, as opposed to the whole corpse, so something like that could be possible, but a lot of effort as you would almost need a different name for each monster corpse/skeleton type. Making the corpse objects weights be based on a % of the mob weight is probably doable, but might make playing Balrogs (who carry them around for food) unworkable.

Quote:
If you don't know already, Confusion has nil effect on Staves of Teleport and Staves of Curing. I think Confusion should make it harder for players to use these Staves. Though, Confusion should make the Staves of Curing somewhat harder to use, rather than straight-up make it hard to use.
I'll look at it, although I still want both of those (especially teleport) to be usable for most characters even while confused. Maybe just add 5-10% fail rate while confused, if it really is negligible.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2020, 20:56   #13
EpicMan
Swordsman

Quote:
*Spoiler*
Clairvoyance and Enlightenment equipment activations have very low failure rates by default and in my opinion should be balanced by INT + race+class+personality ability to use magical devices + clvl.
I'll take a look at the activation rates. My current thought is to adjust cooldown times (or recharging rate) based on the players devices skill and possibly INT.
A devicemaster might be able to use DSM breath attacks fairly frequently, making them pretty useful for that class.

My plan for 0.4 is to revamp items pretty extensively, having more less ego flavors that are giant grab bags of all the resists and bonuses, but having separate prefix and suffix egos, and letting items potentially have one of each.
There would be many more types of egos but far fewer actual artifacts, mainly for very special items (Serpent drops, the one ring, lazy artifacts, etc)

Weapons will be divided into # hands or sizes, a long sword would be a one-handed weapon for a human, that could be wielded with both hands, while a hobbit might always need to use two hands to wield, and a giant could wield a two-handed weapon with one hand.
I don't know if armor would be treated the same way, as there is no gameplay equivalent of hands being used for armor. it would mostly just mean X% of armor drops are unusable for characters of race Y. Armor may be more divided into light (robes, etc) medium (soft) and heavy (hard) or something like that. Not in a 'you can't equip heavy armors period because you're a mage' way, but penalizing it so you normally wouldn't wear heavy armor as a mage, but maybe you find something amazing that makes it worth the impact.
Old May 12, 2020, 22:57   #14
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
I think the idea behind the walls created by destruction is the roof collapsing, which is why it doesn't happen on the surface. I kind of like the idea of something happening, though, but weaker than if underground. Maybe it should create lava or rubble or dirt instead of walls if on the surface, and only affect a % of the tiles in radius.
If you want to mimic actual earthquakes, water.
Old May 13, 2020, 03:41   #15
EpicMan
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If you want to mimic actual earthquakes, water.
Fascinating. I suppose sprinkling in a bunch of pit traps would work, too, mimicking the quicksand effect.
Old May 13, 2020, 06:34   #16
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

Got a question about this chaos mutation: You are susceptible to the ravages of the elements, which = "You take double damage from elemental attacks" in FCPB. I already know this means vulnerability to the basic four elements. I was wondering if you think this should include poison? Rodent doesn't think so because poison is the 'ugly stepsister' of the first four, and of course, vulnerability to the first four is bad enough. The reason I'm even asking this is because of 'element' semantics and the consistency of what the word 'element' means, etc. Thus, should Poison be in this element category? Well, I think it should be in that category.

I know you might question my logic in making the game even more complicated or more difficult. I might have to come up with better reasoning than just IRL-realism, which is the same reason alone why I'm now mentioning Poison in the elements vulnerability mutations.

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; May 13, 2020 at 06:41.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2020, 21:00   #17
EpicMan
Swordsman

Quote:
Got a question about this chaos mutation: You are susceptible to the ravages of the elements, which = "You take double damage from elemental attacks" in FCPB. I already know this means vulnerability to the basic four elements. I was wondering if you think this should include poison? Rodent doesn't think so because poison is the 'ugly stepsister' of the first four, and of course, vulnerability to the first four is bad enough. The reason I'm even asking this is because of 'element' semantics and the consistency of what the word 'element' means, etc. Thus, should Poison be in this element category? Well, I think it should be in that category.

I know you might question my logic in making the game even more complicated or more difficult. I might have to come up with better reasoning than just IRL-realism, which is the same reason alone why I'm now mentioning Poison in the elements vulnerability mutations.
Poison is definitely the ugly stepsister of the elements. It has the high damage cap and resistance model of the base 4, but deals damage in a unique way in poslikes (over time). I can't remember if it is a possible 'high resist' in Vanilla or not.
But thematically I feel poison is a different category than earth/air/fire/water, I mean acid/electricity/fire/cold. Especially in Pos where it deals a DOT. I don't think I want to add poison vulernability to elemental attacks, but it probably should be a curse itself where you take double damage from poison.
I will probably change the curse text to something like "take double damage from the basic elements" or "basic 4 elements"
Old May 14, 2020, 16:12   #18
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Entering directory src
Generating dependencies...
make[4]: *** No rule to make target 'hissatsu.c.dep'. Stop.
Failed to generate dependencies!
make[3]: *** No rule to make target 'hissatsu.o', needed by 'frogcomposband'. Stop.
../mk/buildsys.mk:110: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
mk/buildsys.mk:117: recipe for target 'subdirs' failed
make[1]: *** [subdirs] Error 2
mk/buildsys.mk:110: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
I think we fixed this before but I don't remember how, 0.3.2 didn't do this to me though
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2020, 16:15   #19
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
make -f Makefile.src is also broken

I'm guessing you copied over a whole bunch of stuff from frog like linux build files etc in this update and it broke everything
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2020, 03:02   #20
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

About these from FCPB:
The 'ridiculous squeak' mutation causes a -4 CHR penalty, yet the 'featureless face' mutation causes a -1 CHR penalty. Shouldn't the ''featureless' face have a greater CHR penalty than 'ridiculous squeak'. Sideways didn't much to say about this one.

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; May 15, 2020 at 03:10.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote