AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 22, 2020, 22:36   #101
Estragon
Rookie

Estragon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lea2501 View Post
Hi! i was playing a necromancer and noticed that in 4.2.1 the "Miasma" spell replaced the "Poison cloud" i think the name was, but that was usable with a poison resistance. This allucinating effect, how it's resistable? because i think i can not use spells if i got Allucination, right?
Chaos resistance will prevent adverse effects from miasma
Estragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2020, 18:33   #102
lea2501
Scout

lea2501 is on a distinguished road
Another new thing i noticed just now playing 4.2.1 is this "Moves +1" in the status bar at the botton, what does it means? obviously its related to my "+1 movement speed" that one equipment provides, but how its the relationship with a +2 speed, etc? its even the same?
lea2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2020, 18:37   #103
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Moves +1 is double footspeed, moves +2 is triple. Is stacks fully with overall speed, so if you are triple speed in both you're moving at 9x total, for example.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2020, 19:00   #104
lea2501
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Moves +1 is double footspeed, moves +2 is triple. Is stacks fully with overall speed, so if you are triple speed in both you're moving at 9x total, for example.
where i can read in detail about speed and the multiplier stuff? its very confusing for me really and i fail to understand the concept of speed like +2 and the Nx one
Old July 24, 2020, 19:27   #105
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
FrogComposband has a speed help, most of it is applicable to V too, though not everything is (in particular, V does not have energy randomness).

The short short version is that +0 is 1.0x, between -3 (0.7x) and +26 (3.6x) every +1 to speed means another +0.1x to the multiplier and outside that range speed follows a weird table there's no need to worry about too much because @ will spend most of its life in the linear range. (Technically, speed always follows a weird table, that table just happens to be linear from -3 to +26.) +70 (4.9x) is the highest speed possible, but you don't need to get anywhere near it.

The returns from adding more speed are diminishing for two reasons; firstly, going from +0/1.0x to +10/2.0x doubles your speed but going from +10/2.0x to +20/3.0x is only a 50% increase; secondly, the table itself gives diminishing returns after +26, so +30 is only 3.8x and not 4.0x. (If you want to look at the actual table for clarity, you can see it here; it's also given in the FrogComposband help.)

Regular speed applies to everything (so doubling your speed effectively also doubles your damage output, because you can deal the same amount of damage in half the time). Basically, at 2x speed, you get twice as many turns compared to monsters as you would at 1x speed and four times as many as you would at 0.5x speed. Movement speed is its own thing that only applies to movement, and "Moves +1" cannot be translated to +1 speed, +10 speed or +anything speed, it just means "2 moves/turn" (which really means "energy consumption for walking moves is divided by 2"...). Movement speed is more comparable to things like extra shots - think of 2 shots/turn.

The short short short version is more speed is better.

Last edited by Sideways; July 24, 2020 at 20:01.
Sideways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2020, 21:11   #106
wxman
Rookie

wxman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Extra movement speed is GREAT for classes that like to snipe from a distance, like mages and rangers. It makes it so much easier to get out of melee range. When walking/running, it can effectively neuter a base speed advantage that many monsters would otherwise have on you.
wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2020, 21:54   #107
lea2501
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Extra movement speed is GREAT for classes that like to snipe from a distance, like mages and rangers. It makes it so much easier to get out of melee range. When walking/running, it can effectively neuter a base speed advantage that many monsters would otherwise have on you.
But are "+1 movement speed" and "+1 speed" different? i can imagine the first is only for movement and the second is also for actions, like spells, attacking, etc, right?

but how the act together? if i have "+1 movement speed" in one item and "+1 speed" in other... do i have like "+2 movement speed" for movement, and "+1 speed" for actions?
Old July 24, 2020, 21:56   #108
lea2501
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Movement speed is its own thing that only applies to movement, and "Moves +1" cannot be translated to +1 speed, +10 speed or +anything speed, it just means "2 moves/turn" (which really means "energy consumption for walking moves is divided by 2"...). Movement speed is more comparable to things like extra shots - think of 2 shots/turn.
Thanks! now i think i understand, so "+N movement speed" and "+N speed" are like different things.
Old July 25, 2020, 04:14   #109
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Windows release version seems to have a bug where damage from ammo isn't calculated correctly. With a longbow of power (+14,+15), ammo of arrows (+0,+0) gives average 15.9 damage. seems awfully low. Has this been fixed in the nightlies? I don't see it in the most recent MacOS version but the Windows build doesn't seem to be working.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2020, 04:30   #110
bughunter
Rookie

bughunter is on a distinguished road
OK, since we're discussing speed, somepne please patiently explain to me like I'm a n00b what is happening with my extra moves, attacks, etc. (Because I'm only one or two ranks higher than n00b.)

I picked up Sting a while ago, "+3 speed" and "+2 attack speed," and then the Pair of Leather Boots of Wormtongue just dropped, "+1 movement speed."

I noticed that the boots do not alter the "Fast (+3)" on the Angband main window. The plus three is from Sting, obviously.

I also noticed that the number of blows jumped to 3 per turn. Again, that looks like Sting's +2 attack speed.

What are the boots doing?

Also, wrt slow, my Wand of Slow Monster and my Staff of Slow Monsters appear to behave differently, especially against faster mobs. Specifically, the staff appears to have about half the effect of the wand. Are these accurate observations?

Char dump attached. I hope.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Glenna cl30dl32.txt (15.2 KB, 10 views)
bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote