AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 28, 2020, 21:53   #21
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It has been a fairly common comment that 4.2 is harder than previous versions. I haven't really watched level feelings - do they need re-calibrating, perhaps?
I have had only limited experience with 4.2 so far. All I can say is I have been honestly surprised at how consistently very high difficulty (7-8-9) dungeon levels appear in the upper levels of the dungeon, and how how consistently 1-2 reward levels appear, regardless of difficulty levels and even when taking into account that reward levels are supposed to be lower in upper dungeon levels.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 21:53   #22
Egavactip
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
Not necessarily. At shallower levels, it is more likely to indicate a pit full of bugs, or orcs, etc. Individually they're not bad, but the numbers add up. I enjoy those levels, by teasing out the denizens a few at a time and destroying them.

Detection is key, either through spells, staves or rods. Even as a priest, I carry a rod of Detection, since their Detect Evil prayer doesn't show everything.

Could also mean an artifact waiting to be found.
You are not going to have a Rod of Detection on DL4.
Old July 28, 2020, 21:55   #23
Egavactip
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Early high danger feeling is almost certainly a pit (ants, beetles, minor demons). I very often clear ant pits if I have a ranged option. But I agree on the op feeling there, that high-danger levels seem to be very common already in the early game. Low-danger levels quickly become exceedingly rare. Has someone actually seen a 1-? level after like DL15 or is it even possible?

Finding Anduril on a floor on 5-2 level should not happen and I'd call it a game bug. If it really happened. I have played this game a bunch and I've never ever found even a lowly artifact on a floor below treasure feeling 5. Would be happy to be proved corrected, though.
In 4.1 an ant pit or a tengu pit would not produce a 9 difficulty rating.
Old July 29, 2020, 02:42   #24
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
You are not going to have a Rod of Detection on DL4.
True, but I'll probably have the priest prayer Detect Evil by then. And will soon discover detect treasure scrolls or rods.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 08:10   #25
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In 4.1 an ant pit or a tengu pit would not produce a 9 difficulty rating.
If you get a 9 rating, it's probably because there are two pits on the level. Even in 4.2 I've never seen a single pit produce a 9-x level, usually it's 6-x or 7-x.
Old July 29, 2020, 09:38   #26
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
If you get a 9 rating, it's probably because there are two pits on the level. Even in 4.2 I've never seen a single pit produce a 9-x level, usually it's 6-x or 7-x.
I thought level feeling thresholds went like 2^n, so that if one pit produces 6 then two identical pits of the same kind would produce 7.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 20:53   #27
whartung
Scout

whartung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter View Post
Do the treasure level feelings include items that will be dropped by mobs?
No, the treasure feelings are about the items specifically placed on the level during generation, it can't control what the mobs drop. It also can't control the random spawning of a mob and what it drops.

A 9-2 level may well have some nice treasures -- after you kill the very nasty creature(s) that are giving you the 9 rating in the first place, but the 2 says that these nasty creatures didn't bring any nice loot with them just sitting on the ground.
whartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2020, 17:15   #28
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Low-danger levels quickly become exceedingly rare. Has someone actually seen a 1-? level after like DL15 or is it even possible?
Very rare, but possible.
I just had a 1-6 level at 2450'. A very small cavern level (100 x 35), with a Demonic Q (2250') as the only monster native below 1500'.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2020, 22:10   #29
Egavactip
Swordsman

Continuing to play 4.2, , with a bit of extra stair scumming to try to see more levels, I am still consistently amazed at how drastically different level feelings are from 4.1. I have never in my life seen so many 9 difficulty levels at DL 30 or easier, and almost every single one of them paired with extraordinarily low treasure levels.

The low treasure level to difficulty level ratio continues. It seems that less than 1 in 10 levels is (again, DL 30 or easier) is producing a treasure level equal to or better than the danger level. Far more typical are results like 4-1, 5-2, 6-2, 7-2, and so on. Getting a 4-4 almost feels like a gift from the gods.

Not that, I should add, I am necessarily seeing all of these translate into what I would call actual treasure or difficulty results commensurate to the numbers given. I have gone through entire 7 difficulty levels without ever figuring out what generated the 7 difficulty level, while I most of the very few better treasure level indicators also similarly were mysterious in what bumped those levels up. In both my attempts so far, one dead and one ongoing, virtually all of the good gear of any type was from combat drops (some of the drops being very good indeed).

This continues to confuse me. Does anybody know why they were changed from 4.1?
Old August 1, 2020, 23:36   #30
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
This continues to confuse me. Does anybody know why they were changed from 4.1?
I think this is probably because of the overhaul of the monster list in 4.2. The main part of the monster feeling calculations is
Code:
(square of monster level x levels out-of-depth)
for each monster, added together and divided by the dungeon level. It's not immediately clear to me how this had led to bigger danger levels, but it seems like the likely culprit.