Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 29, 2020, 02:08   #1
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Food and Fighting

So am I correct in thinking that if you are in a big fight but are well-fed (let's say in the mid or high 80s), you are in big trouble, because healing potions can easily put you into the SLOW category and get you killed? It seems like being low on hit points and well-fed at the same time is a deadly combination.

Do you have to avoid hard combat if you are in the 80s?

I was in a combat earlier today and barely escaped with my life just because of drinking cure wounds potions.

Am I missing something or does this seem weird?

Playing 4.2, I am having to spend more time worrying about food management than if my character were diabetic. In a rogue-style game, is this really what people should have to be spending time on? Is that what produces the fun?
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 03:46   #2
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
I agree. Cure potions are far too cheap and plentiful. If they were more expensive and harder to come by then players wouldn't get full on them.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 03:55   #3
DavidMedley
Knight

Right now you can spend 1 out of 100 turns drinking a potion without losing or gaining satiety (or that's what the game says, not counting regen or slow digestion).

In a 16 hour waking day that's .16 hours or 10 minutes. Rations would only take 1/30th of that, so 20 seconds? Seems like with the active lifestyle of the adventurer he or she should be burning more calories.

Maybe the food burn rate should be higher?
Old July 29, 2020, 04:00   #4
DavidMedley
Knight

As long as I'm throwing out unpopular opinions, Scrolls of Phase Door are also way too cheap and plentiful.
Old July 29, 2020, 05:15   #5
bughunter
Rookie

bughunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
As long as I'm throwing out unpopular opinions, Scrolls of Phase Door are also way too cheap and plentiful.
As a nethack grognard, I'm just glad I don't have to eat green icky things.
bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 16:33   #6
Voovus
Adept

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Cheap and plentiful Phase Door is probably hardwired into many @s strategies. That is not to say that it shouldn't be changed. Same applies to abundance of Teleport Other, food, healing etc. If someone were to set up an Anglab for experimental builds, I'd certainly be happy to playtest extreme-sounding ideas and try to give feedback on whether the result is more fun than the original. Remove Phase Door from the game, and see what happens.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 18:38   #7
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
I would be ok with removing and/or reducing phase door only if an alternate tool for "quickly putting some distance between me and the bad guy" was provided. Like say, more abundant sources of movement speed.

Honestly Id rather have both, since they have trade offs. Movement speed gives you more control, but phase door is obly a single player action, which is inportant when youre like me and dont bother trying to track when your enemy is going to have another action.

If we just remove things DCSS style, then I think you end up with a more boring game, because fewer situations and enemies become "worh it."
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 18:43   #8
Bill Peterson
Adept

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
Cheap and plentiful Phase Door is probably hardwired into many @s strategies. That is not to say that it shouldn't be changed. Same applies to abundance of Teleport Other, food, healing etc. If someone were to set up an Anglab for experimental builds, I'd certainly be happy to playtest extreme-sounding ideas and try to give feedback on whether the result is more fun than the original. Remove Phase Door from the game, and see what happens.
I'd be happy if nothing was guaranteed to be in the stores. It used to be that part of the storage management game was that you had to reserve home space for WoR, town spell books, and other consumables.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 19:48   #9
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson View Post
I'd be happy if nothing was guaranteed to be in the stores. It used to be that part of the storage management game was that you had to reserve home space for WoR, town spell books, and other consumables.
Making things no longer guaranteed in the store would also be fine, except dor word of recall, because getting back to town from floor 50 only to discover theres no way to get back down would not be fun.

Though, if Angband included a service like many variants that let you recall back to the dungeon without using a scroll, that would be fine. Being trapped in the dungeon without Recall because you made a mistake is fun. Being trapped in town is not.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2020, 20:47   #10
DavidMedley
Knight

Agree wholeheartedly... If I were choosing things to remove from the "always available" list, Recall would be last on the list without question.