AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 19, 2009, 11:26   #1
Dark
Apprentice

Dark is on a distinguished road
Angbamd, without eyeballs!

Hi.

I've just run across Angband recently, and so far I really like!

I'm actually registered blind (though i do have some vision), and have been wanting to play a decent exploration rpg for quite a long while, sinse the only video games I'm able to see to play tend to be more of the action variety, --- the 2D metroid games are about the closest I've come.

To read text on the internet etc, I use a screen reading speech synthesiser, sinse normal text (such as that in games), is way too small for me to read.

I've wanted to try roguelikes for quite a long time, as the exploration elements are really my sort of thing. The problem I've found though, when experimenting with Nethack or Adom, is Asqi graphics tend to be an absolute pain!

They are too small for me to actually see, and are a major pest with a screen reader, ----- you wouldn't believe how irritating hereing "hash hash hash hash hash" can get!

Angband however not only seems like a really great balance, but also has some incredibly handy features, ---- particularly in looking and targiting which make it the most playable roguelike I've tried.

Firstly, all the character info and text is obviously readable with my screen reader. Then however, using the old tyles set and big tyle mode, I've found graphics that have a good enough contrast to let me see basically where objects are (though not what they are), ---- though if anyone has created any larger or more contrasting graphics, I'd be interested to here.

The looking and targiting commands are also really handy for knowing what's around, especially as they can be scrolled through, and the go command can be used to move my character in the appropriate direction.

So, all in all really handy, ---- Thanks!

One thing that did occur to me, is that it wouldn't take much to make the game fully accessible to people with no site whatsoever, ---- just some extra informational commands, ---- in particular the ability to look directionally from the player and know the distance to the nearest object, the ability to gain distance and direction information using the targit or look commands, ---- Eg stairs down 5 north 20 east, and and perhaps alerts for the player on the location of unexplored possible exits when discovered by torchlight.

Sinse the game is open source, would making such changes be at all possible, ---- or would it take a total rewriting of the code.

Thanks in advance, and appologies for the long newby ramble.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009, 12:24   #2
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Sinse the game is open source, would making such changes be at all possible, ---- or would it take a total rewriting of the code.
I don't see why they shouldn't be possible. I would also suggest reducing the range of ranged attacks (player and monster). If you are playing with large tiles then you are more likely to be hit by attacks from off screen.

There are several possible approaches.

1. Start a new variant (from 3.1.0 beta base). I don't know how many partially sighted people want to play roguelikes but they are your primary customer base for this.

2. Produce a patch (on 3.1.0. beta base). I think that if you are making lots of changes then a patch approach is going to be awkward.

3. Introduce a "blind-friendly" option to Vanilla Angband. Drawback is that those maintaining Angband may not be keen on additional options and, again, that large changes may be awkward to implement / maintain.

Perhaps one of the newer and smaller roguelike games would be easier to use as a code base?

In any case your biggest problem is going to be either learning to code or finding an interested volunteer to code for you. Good luck!
Old April 19, 2009, 12:47   #3
Dark
Apprentice

Hi.

Actually, the range thing seems okay thus far, ---- or at least it has with as much of the game I've played (which admittedly is only down to level 7 thus far), sinse the look command seems capable of finding monsters and other objects currently off screen, and thus targiting them for missile weaponry.

Seeing whether they are in a reasonable los for my character is possible for me, ---- but wouldn't be for someone with fewer eyeballs, and this is why I thought either a distance/coordinates system would work.

Unfortunately, sinse I have no coding skills whatsoever, this is more a sort of feature request, ---- and a way of increasing the amount of people interested in Angband.

Btw, I've just seen the double and triple tyle modes in Fangband, ---- and I'm mightily impressed! i'd be interested to know what other angband varients might come with them, ---- or if there would be a way of playing other angband varients with them.
Old April 19, 2009, 13:19   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Btw, I've just seen the double and triple tyle modes in Fangband, ---- and I'm mightily impressed! i'd be interested to know what other angband varients might come with them, ---- or if there would be a way of playing other angband varients with them.
UnAngband has double and triple tile mode - I know, because I stole them for FAangband. Coding it in takes a bit of work, and I'm not aware any other variants planning to use them.
Old April 19, 2009, 13:43   #5
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
You may be interested in a thread from the angband newsgroup here
about Vanilla for the blind.
Old April 25, 2009, 14:03   #6
Irashtar
Scout

Irashtar is on a distinguished road
Another option, if you prefer ascii graphics is to change the font settings, It has a 16 by 25 font packaged with it, and Firefox has a built in zoom, control and plus.
You can also set a larger than Normal DPI to further increase the size of text.
Irashtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2009, 15:27   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Angband on Windows doesn't work with TrueType fonts? It certainly does on OSX...
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2009, 16:04   #8
Dark
Apprentice

Hi.

Thanks people.

Playing with graphics is actually weerdly easier for me than text, ---- sinse there's nothing to interfere with a screen reader, and there's the handy big yellow box especially in Faangband, ---- which also sutes me in terms of highlighting monsters etc.

I'll check the thread though, ---- thanks.

The only miner trouble i'm having at the second, ---- which I suspect is simply a n00b problem, is getting swarmed by a big pack of creatures and mobbed to death.

On one occasion a level 7 to 8 stairway (actually in Daajangband deposited me promptly into the laps of about 12 goblins, ---- and sinse I've thus far concentrated on playing Paladins and warriors, I've never had any good attacks for taking out multiple enemies at once.

Is that the point to turn tale and leg it? or is there a way around those sorts of situations.

I wouldn't ask, accept now all my games through three separate Angband varients (two of them playing as a Maia with uba stats), have ended this way.
Old April 27, 2009, 21:24   #9
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Legging it is an ancient and time-honored strategy, something I have nt quite mastered which is why I've never had a winner...except that time I hacked the edit files and played a half-angel archon with 11 blows
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2009, 22:51   #10
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
FA's wilderness is an unforgiving mistress. Experience will be your guide, but here's a tip. Wide open wilderness levels are much safer to cross while traveling North/South than East/West because you're always closer to an exit.

Therefore (depending on your home town), though a longer trip, you'll find it easier to approach Belgost from the South, rather than trying to plow straight westward.