Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 28, 2010, 23:21   #1
Lord Fell
Apprentice

Lord Fell is on a distinguished road
Playable Race Request

A variant I played years ago (Yangband???) allowed Yeeks as playable races. The one thing I have always liked about Yeeks, is that they're an Angband original (at least, as far as I know).

Yeeks appeal to my sense of whimsy. I definitely like that they're sort of poorly defined; I'm sure we all have a sense of what they look like, but our visions probably have little cross-over. I also like underdogs... and even when you look at Boldor, King of the Yeeks... we see that he is the mightiest, craftiest, most powerful yeek... but despite all that, he's just a yeek. Classic underdogs.

So, I'd like for them to be a playable race. What I'm thinking is...
  • Penalties to stats, cross the board
  • A bonus to Infravision and Stealth.
  • Resistance to Chaos... which would be very useful at Higher Levels ...provided they lived that long.
  • A free 0d0 melee attack, that added Insult to Injury: You hit the snaga. You moon the snaga.
Lord Fell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010, 23:39   #2
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Pretty sure Zangband had Yeeks among the 26 billion other playable races in that variant Or maybe it was Hengband or ToME?
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2010, 00:01   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
ZAngband had yeeks, and ToME, which descends from ZAngband, also had them. IIRC they leveled even faster than humans and had inherent acid resistance/immunity, at the cost of massive stat penalties. Not exactly a straight-up challenge race, but still pretty hard. I seem to recall a few nuts on RGRA playing yeek arcane high mages in ZAngband, which is about as useless a race/class combination as you can get (high mages only get one realm of magic and are lousy at everything except magic, and arcane magic is pretty worthless).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2010, 15:41   #4
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I always felt adding the acid resistance (and acid spit ability in Heng I think) kind of detracted from the "look - I'm the weakest race" appeal of Yeeks. If they were added to Vanilla I would just give them -1 or more to each stat, maybe slightly faster XP, as well as poor skills round the board. Maybe slightly better stealth since they are small and timid.

The other advantage of adding Yeeks is that humans will no longer be the weakest race option, though they (we?) will still be the least interesting.

<thread hijack>Maybe we should allow players to increase one of the skills (fighting, devices, saving throw, etc) at the beginning of the game if they are playing a human. I like that humans are the base class stat-wise, but giving human characters a selectable skill bonus would give them some flavor where they have none whatsoever right now. So you could play your warrior with a better devices skill, or your mage/priest with a mediocre (as opposed to abysmal) fighting or bows/throwing skill, or a rogue with a high saving throw, etc.

Another idea, which is stolen from ADOM, is to give them a random heirloom - i.e. some random item at start, discounted 100% so it doesn't just become more gold - which would need to be identified to really be usable at the beginning. This would make the early game more interesting for humans since the item you get could be a game-changer at that point and could alter how you play your character.

I pretty much never play humans right now because they are boring. If there was some perk they would get (that would hopefully be different somehow than the resists and such that other races have).
</end of thread hijack>
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2010, 23:47   #5
Lord Fell
Apprentice

Lord Fell is on a distinguished road
Right...

So, who's going to code me some playable Yeeks?
Lord Fell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2010, 02:28   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fell View Post
Right...

Play DaJ. If it doesn't have yeeks, it'll have something close, or at least something similarly absurd. I played an Umber Hulk not too long ago.
Old November 18, 2010, 08:22   #7
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fell View Post
You don't have to code anything to add a new race. Edit p_race.txt and limits.txt: the format is straightforward, except maybe player history lines which is a bit hairy, but you can always steal this part from another race.
Just make sure to backup original files and your savefile: changes in limits.txt are going to break savefile compatibility.
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2010, 10:43   #8
tigpup
Apprentice

tigpup is on a distinguished road
Kobolds are also pretty wimpy, but fun to play. Kobold rogue is my favourite. They're good as questors in NPP; inherent poison resistance is very useful in NPP early quests. They're also fun to play in V. Getting the balance of magic, ranged & melee is a challenge.
tigpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2010, 13:41   #9
stabbo
Scout

stabbo is on a distinguished road
It'd be cool if mooning or otherwise insulting a monster caused some kind of effect, such as confusion.
stabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2010, 17:10   #10
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Kobolds are awesome, I beat V for the first time legit with a Kobold Warrior.

That poison resistance is just nice for diving down, you don't have to worry about juggling that =rPoison ring with good stuff, hah.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote