Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 16, 2018, 17:34   #41
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
V has multiples as well. I'm pretty sure frog estimates it too but not necessarily that well. Sharpies in particular seem to do more then is displayed & I remember Chris explaining that it shows an estimate. It's probably worth turning the numbers on sometime & comparing if you are curious. I've never checked but may now that it's come up.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 18:26   #42
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
As I understand it, the weapon damage display in this line of variants is done by simulating a large number of attacks and taking the average of the results. Assuming the sim calculates criticals (and I see no reason why it wouldn't), crits should be included in the weapon damage display.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 19:45   #43
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Usually it depends on weapon weight. (A big weapon like a MoD or Grond gets way more superb and *GREAT* criticals.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 20:10   #44
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If I recall correctly, frequency of criticals depends on your accuracy, while quality of criticals depends on weapon weight. Vorpal weapons get their own separate roll, where if you succeed at getting a vorpal critical, you then roll again, and keep rolling until you fail, with the number of successes determining the quality of the crit.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018, 02:34   #45
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
I think there are at least 3 tiers of criticals in Frog
I would have to agree. Weapons of Sharpness alone seem to have at least 3 grades of Sharp. Sharp *Sharp* both in red and *Sharp* in purple.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018, 18:50   #46
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Bug

Just started a Demigod, Club Weaponmaster. Finished the Warrens and went to t-port to Thalos. (easy_thalos) is on, yet the Inn is refusing to send me there. 'You have not yet visited any town'
Old June 17, 2018, 19:12   #47
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
It is intended behavior (and the 7.0.strawberry release notes said as much); easy_thalos only allows teleporting to Thalos once at least one out of Morivant, Anambar, Angwil or Telmora has been visited.
Old June 17, 2018, 19:33   #48
CyclopsSlayer
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
It is intended behavior (and the 7.0.strawberry release notes said as much); easy_thalos only allows teleporting to Thalos once at least one out of Morivant, Anambar, Angwil or Telmora has been visited.
Ah, my bad then.
Old June 18, 2018, 11:35   #49
Flauterfiddle
Rookie

Flauterfiddle is on a distinguished road
Some feedback on rings

Since I only ever play monsters, I wanted to have a crack at a Ring character, and the change that lets everything recharge now has made Rings much more playable.

Some observations:

- Ring characters can read Confuse Monster scrolls. But they don't have a melee attack. So the Confuse Monster flag stays at the bottom of the screen for a long time. I think ... until you save/restore or go up a level. At any rate, it was there forever and then was suddenly gone.
- Is there any way that the info screens could include some information about the monster I am controlling? Like their attack damage and so forth, special abilities, etc.? It would be very neat to know what the monster does without having to look through the monster memory. I think this is done for Possessors, so it would be very useful for Rings as well. Or would this make Rings too powerful and all-knowing?
- Possible bug: when I use a "??? monster" staff, wand or rod on my controlled monster (e.g. Haste Monster to speed them up) this seems to do something weird to (auto-)targeting. If I do not touch the targeting controls after using a wand/staff on my controlled monster, i.e. rely on auto-target, Frog then lets me cast spells into "nirvana", i.e. I can choose and cast the spell and also lose mana and use up my turn, but nothing happens. This is a potentially deadly bug if I am relying on auto-target and lose my first turn against something very big and dangerous.

Thanks again for this version, hoping to get my Ring character to level 50. 24 levels to go!
Flauterfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 21:15   #50
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Regarding a perceived need to frequently recall:

I'll be "that guy."

One thing that can help here is to play no-selling. It's very refreshing. On a side note, FrogComPosband is definitely winnable - has been won, although not easily of course - with a single recall-less dive starting from around clvl 25.

Another is to set a depth goal for each dive, and tailor your collecting of items to sell to that goal, rather than vice versa. This tends to mean collecting few or no items until the planned end of the dive, or at least being ready to throw things away when it becomes clear that the average value of what you're now collecting is much higher.

Being very sparing with how many consumables slots you use also helps. (One thing I also do sometimes is carry only one, or very few, of a less-important consumable in a slot, being prepared to "waste" it or throw it away fairly quickly to free up the slot.)

With all that said, a freer inventory may someday be on the way for ComPosBand, as Gwarl tossed around ideas for new potion, scroll, etc. "quivers" in chat at one point. Whether or not these, if implemented, will also make their way into FCPB is of course up to Sideways!

Tags
frogcomposband