Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 30, 2012, 22:38   #1
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Looking for a new game

Hi all,

Felt like reinstalling EU:Rome today - my favourite of all the Paradox 'grand strategy' games. Just wondered if anyone had any more recent recommendations in this genre. I'm looking for a Civ-style game, with grand scope and timeline, but with lots of knobs to twiddle (characters, armies, research etc. etc.).

I haven't tried Crusader Kings II yet - I really liked the original, but fear that the new one will be dumbed-down.

Any views on CK2 or any other similar large strategy game would be very welcome.

Happy xmas/new year all.
Old December 30, 2012, 23:56   #2
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Does it have to be a historical strategy game, or do space 4X games count, too?
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012, 00:18   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
Does it have to be a historical strategy game, or do space 4X games count, too?
Ooh, space would be fab. The problem I've always found with space games is getting the scale right though. SE5 was way too slow; last really good space games I played were Sword of the Stars (turn-based) and Sins of a Solar Empire (real-time). They were both great fun, but a tiny bit too macro for me (e.g. all ground combat abstracted away). What I really want is a modern-day rewrite of MoO1 ...
Old December 31, 2012, 00:35   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Hmmm. A bit of browsing turns up a SotS sequel, the unexpectedly-named Sword of the Stars II, and something called Elemental: Fallen Enchantress from Stardock (the makers of Sins). The latter is supposedly the spiritual heir to MoM, or as someone put it "Two parts Civ to one part HoMM". We'll see.
Old December 31, 2012, 19:34   #5
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
SotS2, despite what you may have heard, is actually pretty good. It was just REALLY, REALLY buggy on the initial release!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012, 22:27   #6
tg122
Scout

tg122 is on a distinguished road
I thought Crusader Kings 2 was a great game, although I have never played the first one so I can't comment on whether or not it's dumbed down a lot. Either way, I think it's regarded as a solid game by most fans of the genre and I've seen it nominated for game of the year on a few different sites... it may have won also, not sure.

I noticed nobody mentioned Galactic Civilizations 2, which I thought that was an excellent game. I would highly recommend it.
tg122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012, 23:46   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg122 View Post
I thought Crusader Kings 2 was a great game, although I have never played the first one so I can't comment on whether or not it's dumbed down a lot. Either way, I think it's regarded as a solid game by most fans of the genre and I've seen it nominated for game of the year on a few different sites... it may have won also, not sure.

I noticed nobody mentioned Galactic Civilizations 2, which I thought that was an excellent game. I would highly recommend it.
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have actually tried GC2 a while ago - for some reason I never got into it. It just struck me as somehow soulless - nice and polished, and balanced, yet not really immersive. I think I find immersion more difficult in a sci-fi setting anyway.

Will try SotS2 and CK2 then. Thanks for the tips.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:34   #8
Cerebrate64
Rookie

Cerebrate64 is on a distinguished road
While I've never actually played civilization before, there's this awesome game I bought from gog called master of magic. People compare it to civilization though and from what I've seen of civ, they certainly are similar. In master of magic you take control of a wizard trying to take control of the world. Lots of units and spells to research, best turn based strategy I've ever played. No timeline though, its fantasy only. I just wish it would run right on my lousy laptop.
Cerebrate64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013, 04:05   #9
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
FreeCiv is nice if you want to try Civilization. It's based on Civ 2 (The best one, IMO), and it's completely free. Plus, you can play a few online games, if you feel confident.
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2013, 08:24   #10
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrate64 View Post
While I've never actually played civilization before, there's this awesome game I bought from gog called master of magic. People compare it to civilization though and from what I've seen of civ, they certainly are similar. In master of magic you take control of a wizard trying to take control of the world. Lots of units and spells to research, best turn based strategy I've ever played. No timeline though, its fantasy only. I just wish it would run right on my lousy laptop.
Master of Magic is one of my all time favorites. It's a shame that Microprose never made that promised sequel.
Age of Wonders is nearly a MoM clone. It lacks a bit of I don't know what, that made MoM so special, but it is nevertheless a great game. There was an Age of Wonders II and also a slightly better Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

All of the Civilization games are great in their own way, some of them have good AddOns or Mods transporting the original game into the far future or fantasy realms.

What about Dwarf Fortress? It is by far the most complex city-building/stategy/simulation game ever. Though it is still in early beta state, it is playable by all means and one of the most enjoyable games once you have mastered the learning - eh, cliff.
Beeing an ASCII based game there are also a lot of different tile and graphic sets available for DF, and for the lazy newbs there is the Lazy Newb Pack wich comes with a lot of extras and an easy access options window:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote