Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 6, 2015, 04:41   #91
strato
Rookie

strato is on a distinguished road
This may be time consuming to implement, but I feel it would be feasible...How about you have different rooms in your house? A menu to select room to enter?

Ideas:
1. Bedroom (sleep to restore health, mana, remove negative effects)
2. Storage (keep items here, expandable with chests from dungeon)
3. Trophy Room (only allow artifacts to be stored here)
4. Possibly a trash can to remove unneeded items? (not needed but might be convenient)

Expansion on #2: If you find a chest in the dungeon, it doesn't disappear when you open it. Instead you can take it with you back home, put it in storage, and maybe for each chest you add 5 slots to storage.

Still a newbie, sorry if I missed something obvious.

Edit: Forget I mentioned the different rooms (bedroom, trophy room, etc)
I still like the delete item option for home & adding storage with chests

Last edited by strato; April 7, 2015 at 22:46.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 13:41   #92
werepacman
Scout

werepacman is on a distinguished road
I like idea with chests. Different chests with different capacity.
werepacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 16:23   #93
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
A destroy item option in home might be nice.

The idea of carrying chests out of the dungeon and keeping them in your house for extra storage seems mind-bogglingly tedious, particularly if doing so had any strategic significance (which it wouldn't). Note also that the topic of the thread is providing effectively unlimited home space.

I don't think most players find that navigating menus and shuffling items between inventory, the ground, and secondary inventories (home or ... various other places proposed above) are valuable, entertaining aspects of the game. Rather it's the kind of thing where you want enough inventory interaction to make a moderately deep and complex game, but just enough. Not more. If anything, it'd be worthwhile figuring out ways to make interaction with secondary inventory less involved/intrusive. For example, if you could use word of recall scrolls or something similar to move items between home and your inventory without going to town, that would be a move in the right direction.

[edit: after a moment's reflection, the recall for items idea would have essentially no game balance impact if the item retrieval triggered only when using stairs. To make it even more game balance neutral, it could also make the stairs one-way.]
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 16:29   #94
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
For example, if you could use word of recall scrolls or something similar to move items between home and your inventory without going to town, that would be a move in the right direction.
That would change things so that you could access items in the home without losing the current dungeon level. Personally I'm opposed. It'd take all of the pressure out of swap gear. See an enemy with lots of fire attacks? Use WoR and grab that gear with fire immunity before fighting them. Whereas currently you have to decide to bring that item with you before knowing what you'll face.

Arguably the entirety of the equipment optimization game is knowing that it's impossible to prepare for everything and therefore deciding what you will and won't be prepared for. If you can access your entire stash at any time, even with the ~30-round delay of WoR, then that all goes right out the window.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 16:57   #95
mushroom patch
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
That would change things so that you could access items in the home without losing the current dungeon level. Personally I'm opposed. It'd take all of the pressure out of swap gear. See an enemy with lots of fire attacks? Use WoR and grab that gear with fire immunity before fighting them. Whereas currently you have to decide to bring that item with you before knowing what you'll face.

Arguably the entirety of the equipment optimization game is knowing that it's impossible to prepare for everything and therefore deciding what you will and won't be prepared for. If you can access your entire stash at any time, even with the ~30-round delay of WoR, then that all goes right out the window.
See the edit. If it only works on when you pass from one level to another, it is game balance neutral.

[also, it is possible to be prepared for everything that can actually happen, but that's another matter.]
Old April 7, 2015, 17:32   #96
Zireael
Adept

Zireael is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by werepacman View Post
I like idea with chests. Different chests with different capacity.
I like that idea too. I might steal it for my wip roguelike
Zireael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 17:41   #97
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
See an enemy with lots of fire attacks? Use WoR and grab that gear with fire immunity before fighting them.
Worse - I'd feel duty bound to make sure that I did exactly that. Which would get very tedious.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 19:18   #98
mushroom patch
Swordsman

=\

You guys are responding to something I didn't even propose.
Old April 7, 2015, 20:54   #99
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
=\

You guys are responding to something I didn't even propose.
In fairness, I wrote (or at least started writing) my response before you edited your original post. I wouldn't have a problem with allowing users to burn a Word of Recall scroll between level boundaries to access their homes.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015, 22:37   #100
strato
Rookie

strato is on a distinguished road
After reflecting a bit on my previous post...I do feel that it would be a tedious and overly complex addition to the game (certainly the part about different rooms). However, think that a way to delete items in home inventory and the ability to expand home capacity would be nice.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote