Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 16, 2015, 16:34   #131
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
You can also make you home smaller if you want. I briefly considered playing a homeless thrall in FA as a challenge game. It would be just ever so slightly less masochistic than an ironman thrall. But the way the game is structured that would deny me any recall points, so I quickly decided it would be much too tedious. Setting your home size to zero in V would, if I understand things correctly, give you a somewhat more reasonable challenge game if you didn't want to go full ironman.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015, 17:20   #132
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Invisible Stalker View Post
You can also make you home smaller if you want. I briefly considered playing a homeless thrall in FA as a challenge game. It would be just ever so slightly less masochistic than an ironman thrall. But the way the game is structured that would deny me any recall points, so I quickly decided it would be much too tedious. Setting your home size to zero in V would, if I understand things correctly, give you a somewhat more reasonable challenge game if you didn't want to go full ironman.
So if your home has a size of zero, is it just a "Home Sweet Home" floormat in front of a brick wall?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015, 00:34   #133
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
So if your home has a size of zero, is it just a "Home Sweet Home" floormat in front of a brick wall?
The Half-Troll Warrior, Grunt Buggr III, walks up to her home...

"Nietzsche breathes philosophy...<more>
You are struck by metaphysical nihilsm...<more>
You come to the realisation that there might be no objects."
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015, 14:27   #134
the Invisible Stalker
Adept

the Invisible Stalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Larn, Omega, etc. have a bank. Think of it as having your home repossessed by the bank. It's still there. You just can't use it.
the Invisible Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015, 01:14   #135
strato
Rookie

strato is on a distinguished road
Although I'm sure it's obvious, no one has mentioned yet that changing home size could (and probably should, if it's implemented) be made a birth option.

Last edited by strato; April 18, 2015 at 01:20.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015, 01:31   #136
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
Although I'm sure it's obvious, no one has mentioned yet that changing home size could (and probably should, if it's implemented) be made a birth option.
Well, the problem is that if I'm allowed a big home, I'll have a big home. And enjoy the game less as a result. I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm in the minority, if that is indeed the case. Poll time?
Old April 18, 2015, 01:42   #137
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
...I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm in the minority, if that is indeed the case....
I'm with you. Sure, I find it difficult to decide what to keep and what to discard, but that's part of the difficulty level of the game. Unlike game changes that have been made to relieve repetitive tedium, changing the home size directly changes game difficulty. Making hard choices is one of the things that makes the game interesting.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015, 02:34   #138
MattB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I'm with you. Sure, I find it difficult to decide what to keep and what to discard, but that's part of the difficulty level of the game. Unlike game changes that have been made to relieve repetitive tedium, changing the home size directly changes game difficulty. Making hard choices is one of the things that makes the game interesting.
Glad it's not just me, then!
Old April 18, 2015, 07:58   #139
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
It has been argued (at perhaps excessive length!) that it doesn't change the difficulty of the game substantially. I take it that you disagree. Could you elaborate on why you think that? (Even if it's just to point to previous posts.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015, 08:28   #140
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Well, the problem is that if I'm allowed a big home, I'll have a big home. And enjoy the game less as a result. I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm in the minority, if that is indeed the case. Poll time?
Even if the default setting is the standard home and you have to change the settings to get the larger home?
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote