Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 2, 2011, 06:36   #1
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Baris, the Hobbit mage.

I just found a RoS+12 on my Hobbit mage. Of course, the run(and its 10 dead friends) was intended only as a test of how to play with very few hitpoints. EDIT: I just found a rod of healing. Those are even rarer. A very nice toy in any case.
I suppose I have to take it seriously now though, and part of that is asking for advice. I don't mind diving, especially because I don't care about the safety depths simply because everything can 1- or 2-shot a hobbit mage.
Dump
Anything missing in my inventory that I can buy in a shop? I suppose I need more offensive devices as a first thing, but those are mostly in the dungeon.
P. S. Could someone stop place the Height and Weight somewhere that they won't parse incorrectly? It appears Oook doesn't know where race and class ends. It's a small inconvenience, but it might mess up data later.

Last edited by Philip; April 2, 2011 at 06:45.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2011, 10:18   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
P. S. Could someone stop place the Height and Weight somewhere that they won't parse incorrectly? It appears Oook doesn't know where race and class ends. It's a small inconvenience, but it might mess up data later.
I have no idea what you are talking about here. Can you give an example of what do you mean?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2011, 11:10   #3
Philip
Knight

Sorry, I meant the Hobbit Heigh Mage Weigh thing which apparently takes the Height Weight stuff and displays it as such. V now has Mage Weighs and stuff, wich complicates searching for data.
Old April 2, 2011, 11:13   #4
Philip
Knight

Updated dump. How do I kill stuff? Everything can one-shot me.
Old April 2, 2011, 16:53   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Sorry, I meant the Hobbit Heigh Mage Weigh thing which apparently takes the Height Weight stuff and displays it as such. V now has Mage Weighs and stuff, wich complicates searching for data.
You mean that center column where your age, weight, height and social status is shown. Do you use that to search? Just to replicate what you are experiencing can you give an example of such search?

[EDIT] found what you mean. Some chars for some reason show for example "High-Elf Heigh Rogue Weigh" in search for "Angband "raff3f99f7a""
Old April 2, 2011, 21:26   #6
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
I'm really impressed you've been able to survive so deep with so few hitpoints. With my play style I'd never have lasted so long. But I don't see how you can kill the Tarrasque, Huan and Vecna and some. Also, Morgoth will most likely summon them if you haven't killed them earlier so you need to be able to kill them off without dying.

I don't know what to advise except I'd aim for getting to level 50, or at least close, before fighting these really tough uniques including the big M. With so few HP even with all immunities it'll be extremely hard. Don't remember how much damage Morgoth's mana storms do, but it's certainly more than your current hp.

/Mathias
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2011, 21:38   #7
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
If you want to kill the big foes ...

You need con. And some more con. And then you might want to prioritize con.

In terms of standard items:

Replace one of your speed rings with a ring of con. Weapon of westernesse, crown of might, gauntlets of combat [even though the last aggravate and cost mana].

Or you can scum for dragon pits and try to get better artifacts with con bonuses.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2011, 22:05   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbeast View Post
But I don't see how you can kill the Tarrasque, Huan and Vecna and some. Also, Morgoth will most likely summon them if you haven't killed them earlier so you need to be able to kill them off without dying.
You don't need to kill all of the uniques before fighting Morgoth. Certainly he'll probably summon them, but with proper tactics you can get them out of the way without giving them or Morgoth any extra turns on you. See also the strategy I posted earlier.

Which isn't to say that Baris here is remotely ready to take on Morgoth. You should be able to take at least 600 damage without dying (max-roll manastorm) before trying that fight.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011, 08:10   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Which isn't to say that Baris here is remotely ready to take on Morgoth. You should be able to take at least 600 damage without dying (max-roll manastorm) before trying that fight.
Problem with this is that hobbit mage doesn't have much more than 800 even with maxed CON. (hobbits used to have d6 hit die, now they have d7, so it was even worse earlier). That means you wont have much marginal to make dent in Morgoths armor before you need to heal. Winning this game will be a tough one.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:04   #10
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Problem with this is that hobbit mage doesn't have much more than 800 even with maxed CON. (hobbits used to have d6 hit die, now they have d7, so it was even worse earlier). That means you wont have much marginal to make dent in Morgoths armor before you need to heal. Winning this game will be a tough one.
It's never too early to stock up on every Potion of Healing/*Healing*/Life you encounter.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote