Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 21, 2016, 12:00   #1
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Hobbit Ranger

So I guess I finally got tired of HT Warrior. Having really good fortunes so far as a Hobbit Ranger.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=20021
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 14:02   #2
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
not sure why HT is such a big thing for warriors; his HP are almost the same (1200 vs 1050~1100), has a horrible -4 DEX, and regen is so common, AND it eats a ton of food. Dunedain / High Elf have better stats in just about everything.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 19:36   #3
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
not sure why HT is such a big thing for warriors; his HP are almost the same (1200 vs 1050~1100), has a horrible -4 DEX, and regen is so common, AND it eats a ton of food. Dunedain / High Elf have better stats in just about everything.
It's probably the XP penalty. It's no biggie at lower levels, but boy does it suck on later levels.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 23:25   #4
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Who (except for Derakon) says HT is the best ? They are so-so, but everyone loves them.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 23:39   #5
Nivra
Adept

Nivra is on a distinguished road
HT warriors are awesome!

It's not just the end-game HP diff of 1200 vs. 1050. It's the HP difference from early thru mid-game.
Nivra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 02:01   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yeah, in terms of absolute power they're not amazing. Races with better intrinsics and more balanced stats will be more powerful in the late game. But they make the early- and middle-game much easier IME, thanks to their beastly STR, regeneration, and the larger hit die (at a time when hit die dominates over CON bonuses for determining hitpoints). And it's not like they're awful in the lategame either; STR and CON are reliably important stats and they have to put much less effort into maxing them, which gives half-trolls more leeway for equipping other gear -- at the cost of course of needing to equip other gear to get their abysmal other stats up, assuming you care.

Half-Trolls also make great beginner characters, in part due to the above, but in no small part because they make such awful mages that beginners are less inclined to try to play as a mage if they're told to play a half-troll.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 09:02   #7
Sky
Knight

Sky is on a distinguished road
i used to play HT years ago, and i kept dying of hunger - sometimes when i had food in my pack. I think "auto-clear -more- prompts" must have been on dy default, version 3- something probably.

Derakon and Hero, you both make valid points; the last 5-6 CL with a high elf are a massive pain in the butt, and you'll most likely make them by drinking potions of experience, rather than killing mobs.
IIRC the last character levels are 500k/600k/1m XP.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 10:32   #8
Werbaer
Apprentice

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
not sure why HT is such a big thing for warriors; his HP are almost the same (1200 vs 1050~1100), has a horrible -4 DEX, and regen is so common, AND it eats a ton of food.
In older days, you didn't get stats restored on level-up. For a quick run down the dungeon, half-troll didn't care about stat drains; strength is sustained, dex doesn't matter (or did't before fractional blows were introduced).
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016, 19:04   #9
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Half-Trolls also make great beginner characters, in part due to the above, but in no small part because they make such awful mages that beginners are less inclined to try to play as a mage if they're told to play a half-troll.
This past weekend, I had my first win (out of two attempts) with a half troll mage and it was a lot easier than I had feared it would be. The early hit points really do help in during a fragile period in the life of a mage.

In my first attempt, the character also got some early intel boosts, which made him much more like a "normal" mage. That, plus an excellent crossbow, had him rocking and rolling until he met a mysterious death.

In my second attempt, the intel came a lot more slow, so there was a mid-game period where he was a poor spellcaster and a poor fighter. Eventually, however, another good crossbow helped him surmount that to the point where he started to get good. By the endgame, I was able to play him pretty much like any other mage.

So I would not try to dissuade anyone from from trying a half-troll mage.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016, 20:00   #10
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
HT Mage sounds reasonable; I may give it a go....

Presently, though, I'm on DL23 (hobbit ranger) with no good gear to speak of, though I just picked up a long bow of might. I do not know what its to-dam is. The level feeling is 6 and I am wondering if I should take on a mold and jelly (ochres and oozes) pit or head for the stairs. The only base resist I have is rCold though I may have picked up rAcid with this amulet I just picked up. I think I'll head for the stairs.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote