Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 28, 2013, 22:40   #1
Beirlis
Rookie

Beirlis is on a distinguished road
Don't write off the Ring of the Mouse

So Zinoi, my current pixie mage is at level 36, my highest level w/o dying so far! (I've played up to level 45-ish after dying on two other characters.) I am currently using a Ring of the Mouse (+0,-6) <+4> and this is actually doing more damage (when using some weapons) than when wearing a Ring of Damage (+0, +12) due to the extra blows and my base dex still being 16. Plus, I get the added benefit of +4 more stealth.

I just wanted to post this since I've read so many posts lately saying not to use the low-level trade-off items past the level where you can get better items. In this case, this is a fantastic item. Granted, as soon as I find something else that provides more benefits, I'm not going to cry too much over taking it off. But in the mean time, I'm enjoying Legendary stealth.

Of note, this is using the troll/pixie patch on top of 3.5 dev from a few months back. The pixie race has +3 stealth (less than hobbit)
Beirlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2013, 12:15   #2
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beirlis View Post
So Zinoi, my current pixie mage is at level 36, my highest level w/o dying so far! (I've played up to level 45-ish after dying on two other characters.) I am currently using a Ring of the Mouse (+0,-6) <+4> and this is actually doing more damage (when using some weapons) than when wearing a Ring of Damage (+0, +12) due to the extra blows and my base dex still being 16. Plus, I get the added benefit of +4 more stealth.

I just wanted to post this since I've read so many posts lately saying not to use the low-level trade-off items past the level where you can get better items. In this case, this is a fantastic item. Granted, as soon as I find something else that provides more benefits, I'm not going to cry too much over taking it off. But in the mean time, I'm enjoying Legendary stealth.

Of note, this is using the troll/pixie patch on top of 3.5 dev from a few months back. The pixie race has +3 stealth (less than hobbit)
Rings of the mouse are a great choice for early mages/rangers who don't need to rely on melee. Extra stealth is always great.
Old October 29, 2013, 15:08   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Rings of the mouse are a great choice for early mages/rangers who don't need to rely on melee. Extra stealth is always great.
However now that those things can have multiple PVAL:s finding one with +4 to both stealth and DEX is rarity, especially with low to_dam penalty.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote