Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old September 25, 2016, 04:31   #51
xorzac
Adept

xorzac is on a distinguished road
Doomcaller from a chest, so definitely putting that on. AC still 121 with it, so not too bad. Max dodge helps in that regard. Ringil moves to secondary - too good not to leave on. Will use narya for fire imm swap.

He really should be slugging now. :-) 180% deadliness and 2d16, plus the cold brand or slays. Big ouch. 6 rounds of that - if 5 land avg dmg about 350+. Nice! Not even counting crits.
xorzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2016, 08:21   #52
xorzac
Adept

Talking

Went straight to 99 after getting vilya on dlv91 from a monster pit.

On the way down, beat the tar out of The Tarrasque. :-) He got in my way on dlv 98. On 99 killed omarax almost right away. Genocided G, &, W, A, Z, p, D, L, e. Not all at once, a few when I saw they were around. Been saving them for this. :-) Z probably wasnt necessary but I am SICK of them things being on EVERY level.

Found sauron toward the middle. Narrow corridor. Amazingly, he did not summon anything. Not that his summons would do much against genocide or mass genocide. Anyway, got him down about half then he cowardly teles away. He mostly melees, some mana storms. After each storm, gulp a healing potion. No big deal - I mean, my fight with solar was worse a few pages ago. I expected more! 250 to 300 best he can do?

Then I get canteras. Rinse repeat, except he wasted turns trying to curse me. He went down rather quickly. Doomcaller and ringil.

Then Sauron again - he didnt go far. Same as before just kept whacking. I had quaffed a pot of speed just before finding him, so I had +55 spd. So I got in 2 rounds to his 1. He disenchanted ringil, then died.

There are several high uniques on this level, including gabriel and azriel. Unsure if I should kill them now or come back for them. Thinking I will now since lots of crap already genocided. :-)

Oh, score = 17579, which will be #1 score on ladder once I post the dump. Sorry !Xok, but the swordsman got the insane score. :-)

So, I could kill Morgoth as is and get say 22K, or I can pump skills to plvl 100 and get the #1 ladder rank.

I always had planned on the latter, though achieving a win at plvl 81 would be cool too. Lowest I saw was plvl 88. Have to give this more thought.

Sadly, I probably could have beat sauron with less skills, but getting to him probably would not have happened. Dodge = extremely underrated, by the way. While he only dodged Sauron 7 times, the number of nether lances and mana bolts he had dodged from about dlv 60 on down is easily in the hundreds. Not to mention the higher AC.

Believe it or not, this is my first time ever beating Sauron. A sweet victory. I never got that low in Zangband, which I consider a much harder game, despite arts being easier to get in Z.

Morgoth will be in the morning, hopefully I can beat him too. At that time I will decide whether to go for a higher score or #1 ladder.

To all the lurkers, hope you have enjoyed the reading, I tried to add a little humor to keep it interesting. :-)

Time to clean up loose ends.
Old September 27, 2016, 19:42   #53
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Congrats on first win. Dual wield Ringil and Doomcaller is over the top
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 03:25   #54
xorzac
Adept

Thank you. Ringil was a huge find. Doomcaller was a bit of an upgrade over eowyn. I had the crisdirian sword lined up till I found doomcaller. Dial wield totally viable.

Looks like that was a record low plvl for wasting Sauron. :-)
Old September 28, 2016, 18:02   #55
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Score is more important. Ladder rank is silly, as low level wins are more impressive than high
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2016, 00:43   #56
xorzac
Adept

Very true, and I have came to that conclusion too.

I think I might be able to win with a lower plvl if I do no disarm, and less spell res (which seems to be much less useful once you resist almost everything).

Thinking like 80 SW, 100 dodging, and 60 to 70 SR. Dodge is great for melee - even sauron missed some. A small boost to AC too.

SR in the help says only side effects - so no help with damage. Might try a race with better MD, that would help!