AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 20, 2016, 07:11   #31
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
I believe there are occasional ammo "of Returning" late in the game.
Those are extremely rare and still get destroyed or drop on the ground. Ranged shouldn't be any more of a chore than melee, it doesn't do any more damage (in this part of the game) and you are still limited by good ammo (for any class that isn't Archer). Lots of things get phased out later in the game, plain ammo from town shops should be too.

Last edited by clouded; December 22, 2016 at 16:31.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2016, 09:36   #32
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouded View Post
Hey chris, I'm not if you changed this intentionally but you can no longer target out of LOS, it asks you to retarget whenever you do. This is a pretty big player nerf because there are a ton of times you can see monsters but not target them without targetting beyond vision (quite frustrating).
An additional annoyance I can't target a monster through walls with a rod of disintegration.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2016, 18:17   #33
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
This has become my favorite variant, Chris!

Feature Request: Please ID average weapons/armor/ammo/lights on pseudo-ID, since their bonuses are fixed and well-known by anyone playing more than a few games. This is a situation where the player knows something but the character doesn't unless you spend gold to ID stuff.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2016, 18:26   #34
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouded View Post
Those are extremely rare and still get destroyed or drop on the ground. Ranged shouldn't be any more of a chore than melee, it doesn't do any more damage and you are still limited by good ammo (for any class that isn't Archer). Lots of things get phased out later in the game, plain ammo from town shops should be too.
I agree that archery shouldn't be a chore to use, but on the flipside it has the notable advantage over melee that you aren't in melee range, and thus monsters sometimes spend their turns moving towards you rather than doing something damaging.

Ideally archery would deal less damage than melee, but not have the inventory management hassle. However, Vanilla's still trying to work out how to handle that without making archery overpowered, so it's not really surprising that PosCheng doesn't have a good solution.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2016, 18:30   #35
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I agree that archery shouldn't be a chore to use, but on the flipside it has the notable advantage over melee that you aren't in melee range, and thus monsters sometimes spend their turns moving towards you rather than doing something damaging.
Not sure this is 100% true for poschengband. Monsters are more likely to use their ranged attacks when you do.
Old December 20, 2016, 18:48   #36
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Not sure this is 100% true for poschengband. Monsters are more likely to use their ranged attacks when you do.
More likely, sure, but presumably they don't use them 100% of the time; some turns are still dedicated to movement (or attacking in melee). A character standing in melee range will thus still take more damage than a character at range unless the monster's ranged attacks are so much more dangerous than their melee that the increased ranged attack rate more than makes up for the decreased melee damage received. I guess there's probably some monsters in PosCheng where that's true. On the other hand, there's surely plenty of monsters that are incredibly dangerous in melee and not so much at range; an archer can deal with those with relative impunity.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 05:24   #37
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

Ideally archery would deal less damage than melee, but not have the inventory management hassle. However, Vanilla's still trying to work out how to handle that without making archery overpowered, so it's not really surprising that PosCheng doesn't have a good solution.
But this isn't about fighting dangerous monsters, this is about clearing all of the weak and non-dangerous things which is a large part of what you do. Similar to magic ammo, mages get eat magic which provides essentially infinite (slow) mana.

Last edited by clouded; December 21, 2016 at 05:53.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 06:39   #38
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Someday, Chris should incorporate a form of CMovie into PosChengband. ToME 2.3.x has such a known in-game recording feature.

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 12:34   #39
GenericPseudonym
Apprentice

GenericPseudonym is on a distinguished road
The happiest day of an Archer's life is when he finds an OOD staff of dispel life and he can suddenly kill orc packs without spending 15 minutes picking up arrows afterwards.

There should be an upgraded version of the rod of telekinesis that just grabs everything in sight and puts it under your feet. Maybe give ranged classes a power that does a similar thing but only for ammo.
GenericPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016, 17:02   #40
wobbly
Veteran

Or replace ammo with quivers that have charges like a device. Then either use 'R'est to recharge it or a ranger spell or a device(fletchery kit) that recharges, or something else...