Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 6, 2017, 12:15   #171
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Wow, okay this is pretty frustrating. I decided to take on a very dangerous situation with a shambling mound, mirkwood spiders, a gelatinous cube and some ogres and black orcs since I had a rapier of slay animal. Something stunned me and my damage output went to less than half (??) even though I was Berserk. Did this get changed? I recall it having less of a deleterious effect on my damage output. But more frustrating is I've been hauling around a maul since DL3 (I'm on DL18) and it wouldn't ID on anything I had hit. Then I realized, I haven't hit any dragons! So I phased away from the bedlam and landed right next to an awake baby blue dragon and equipped the maul and bashed away at the dragon. I check the weapon.... It still has (??) on it. I'm like, what the hell? It's a maul that does nothing, but then I noticed a second damage on it: 67 to monsters not resistant to lightning. So I had to hit something resistant to lightning to find out it slays things not resistant to lightning? Oy vey! I could have been using this thing since DL3........... Instead I've been lugging around 3 different weapons for different situations, and stopped using the maul when it didn't ID on animals, ogres, orcs, demons, evil creatures, giants. At least it was fun getting my armor destroyed and nearly dying.

Sometimes when I'm frustrated I just hit the damn thing till it dies, but the gelatinous cube resists lightning. /facepalm.

Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017, 16:29   #172
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Stunning directly penalizes your to-hit and to-dam, and by a significant amount. When your damage is coming from a large number of not-very-strong blows, stunning will wreck your damage output. It's not great even later in the game. I recommend curing stunning ASAP, unless you instead need to flee entirely.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017, 18:55   #173
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yep. Carry staves, then rods, of curing in ironman games. You don't quite get enough CCW until late.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017, 10:35   #174
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Stunning directly penalizes your to-hit and to-dam, and by a significant amount. When your damage is coming from a large number of not-very-strong blows, stunning will wreck your damage output. It's not great even later in the game. I recommend curing stunning ASAP, unless you instead need to flee entirely.
You're not kidding: I just started a new game. I bought a whip, two !heroisms, one !CLW and 31 ?Phase doors, a ration of food and two torches. I was about to head to the down stairs when

Admittedly I didn't notice the stun status, but when I looked at my whip, which I was wielding, the damage said 0 I was like... what the? Did I accidentally buy a ring of the mouse? I remember from previous games in non-nightly versions of Angband that stunning had about a 30% reduction in my damage output. So if I was doing 21.6 with a whip then it'd be reduced to 16 or 17. Certainly 100% seems a bit ... extreme.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017, 15:20   #175
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You're doing 1d3 + (STR BONUS) damage per hit. If the damage penalty from stunning is equal to -(STR BONUS + 2) then you'd have a 33% chance of dealing 1 damage per hit, otherwise you'd deal 0. I don't remember what the exact value for the penalty is, but I'd guess it's either -5 or -10. The flat penalty is definitely more noticeable when you have very little damage per blow to begin with.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote