PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Tilesets

Currently, Angband maintains five tilesets:

- Adam Bolt (16x16)
- David Gervais (32x32)
- Nomad (8x16)
- original (8x8)
- Shockbolt (64x64)

For PWMAngband, I tried to keep all these up to date with monster changes, but I'm not sure that's the case for Vanilla. Currently I'm in the process of adding new monsters for PWMAngband, so I took time to put up an Excel file describing which monsters are mapped to which tiles for each tileset. I've already spent a lot of hours on that during the last three days... and I'm not finished with Adam Bolt tileset yet!!! I fear it will take weeks on my free time to map all monsters, so I have an idea where to map the new monsters in the tilesets so they have a chance to get an unique tile (or at least a meaningful one).

Considering the plans for Angband v4.1 to also add new monsters, I wanted to point out the hassle it will be to maintain all these tilesets. So it's probably a good time to ask ourselves the questions:

- which tileset do players use when they play Angband in tile mode?
- do we really need to maintain all these tilesets?
Old March 29, 2017, 13:10   #2
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Count me in for the Gervais tileset.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017, 13:22   #3
Rydel
Apprentice

Rydel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Rydel
I mostly use ASCII, but when I use a tileset, it's usually Gervais.
I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick
Rydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017, 14:25   #4
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Yes, having 5 (!) tilesets is just LOL. That's certainly not maintainable (and was the main reason I decided not to do anything with tilesets). Like previous posters, I like Gervais one the best. That's not to say I like it very much. Here's a great tileset: https://github.com/martin-tornqvist/.../gfx_16x24.png
Simple shapes and simple colors (one color, in fact). Very legible, unlike Angband's tilesets.

edit: If you (the reader) are not very familiar with tilesets, you should note that, like all good tilesets, it looks a lot better "in action" than as a picture. Infra Arcana does look a lot more advanced graphically than Angband, even though it's actually less advanced... Give it a try (I don't like the game itself, though, just the graphics )

Last edited by t4nk; March 29, 2017 at 14:34.
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017, 14:39   #5
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
I use and still actively maintain my tileset, so I'll be updating it for any changes to Vanilla monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Currently I'm in the process of adding new monsters for PWMAngband, so I took time to put up an Excel file describing which monsters are mapped to which tiles for each tileset.
I already have a text file listing all the tile mappings which I've attached here. (It's for the most up-to-date version of the tileset with the new traps which I don't think has actually been incorporated in the nightlies yet, but is linked in this post.)

Does anyone still actually use the classic or Adam Bolt tiles at all?
Attached Files
File Type: zip tileindex.zip (12.0 KB, 9 views)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017, 15:23   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4nk View Post
Yes, having 5 (!) tilesets is just LOL. That's certainly not maintainable (and was the main reason I decided not to do anything with tilesets). Like previous posters, I like Gervais one the best. That's not to say I like it very much. Here's a great tileset: https://github.com/martin-tornqvist/.../gfx_16x24.png
Simple shapes and simple colors (one color, in fact). Very legible, unlike Angband's tilesets.
Two other good examples of effective tilesets are the Oryx tiles and the tiles for Caves of Qud. In both cases they use minimal colors and rely heavily on shape to distinguish different types of creature.

I'm actually kind of curious how much it would cost to pay for an Oryx-style tileset for Angband.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017, 17:19   #7
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
I feel like the main thing that needs to be done is adding support for player-installed custom tilesets without that requiring code alterations. Then you only need to keep and maintain one set as the default (Gervais would be the logical choice of the existing tilesets, but perhaps try to develop a simple "single-colour icon" type set like these examples for the future) but the others can stay available as optional extras.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2017, 20:16   #8
StMicah
Adept

StMicah is on a distinguished road
I've always ignored tilesets because I primarily play on a Mac and could never figure out how to set the tilesets to be helpful.

Is there a way to optimize tilesets on Macs so I can see what I'm missing (if I'm missing anything at all)?
StMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017, 12:15   #9
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Does anyone still actually use the classic or Adam Bolt tiles at all?
That was the primary question, yes. These clearly use too small tiles and would require a huge rework to add new stuff.
Old March 30, 2017, 15:07   #10
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
I use ASCII, simply because I play on a laptop and tiles are too hard to see. If I had a big screen computer, I think Shockbolt's beautiful tiles would be my go-to graphics for Angband. I think Gervais' tiles also work very well, but still a bit small for laptops.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote