Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 7, 2017, 04:10   #81
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
OK, new builds up on the nightlies page; these probably break savefiles.

The big change is a new randart generation algorithm, which is much more efficient (no more waiting forever for randart generation to finish). There are some significant changes, the biggest of which is that randarts are no longer "based on" standard artifacts; for the most part, though, the actual creation of individual new randarts is the same. Given that the chief relationship between the randart and the standart it was based on was the power - there was no influence on actual properties - I don't think this will cause any problems. Do please report any concerns with the new randarts as used; there is a lot of scope for adjustment of the new algorithm.

There is not a fix for the crash on descending to DL100, as I could not replicate it. If this still seems to be occurring with the latest build, a savefile (and randart file if playing with randarts) would help.
Old May 7, 2017, 05:35   #82
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
The last few games I played felt like artifactless games. Have you nerfed the randarts substantially or was I just very unlucky ?

I dont really feel like playing atm, after my 3rd character ended up wearing ego dragon mail, MoD of slay evil, "trickery and rings of damage and speed, I got very very bored.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017, 06:26   #83
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
The last few games I played felt like artifactless games. Have you nerfed the randarts substantially or was I just very unlucky ?
There have been a succession of hacks to try to get the distribution right, which may have had the effect of nerfing. The latest build has removed all those hacks. I have tested a few sets of randarts with the new system, and they look reasonable to my eye, but I would like to have them tested by people with more experience.
Old May 7, 2017, 09:26   #84
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Nick--
Estie is probably correct, statistically. The trouble with randarts used to be that you'd get very powerful artifacts in slots that were not usually powerful. (This is independent of issues around off-weapon blows and brands, and crazy powerful bows.)
However, the standard artifacts are carefully designed to mesh with each other--things like CON in the shield slot, and excellent damage+stats in the glove slot, CON in the amulet slot, because there are no alternate objects or ego items. If you randomize the benefits, but keep the nominal values the same, you will lose synergy without making up for the lost "holistic" power in some other way. So it's reasonable that randarts be somewhat more powerful than similar standarts. But making randarts of a different order of power than the corresponding standarts is potentially a bigger mistake.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017, 10:43   #85
Sky
Swordsman

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There is not a fix for the crash on descending to DL100, as I could not replicate it. If this still seems to be occurring with the latest build, a savefile (and randart file if playing with randarts) would help.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zyyskbx7b...57135.rar?dl=0

here u go.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017, 11:33   #86
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
The first time I tried to start a new randart game in the latest build it crashed at generation. Second attempt there was no problem.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017, 14:23   #87
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Thanks.

It seems the DL99->DL100 crashes are because of a memory bug, which I haven't been quite able to track down yet. I found another potential bug while experimenting, too.
Old May 8, 2017, 17:32   #88
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
@Nick, mob pathing looks much better now, maybe .. too good? I've more than once TO some unique, only to find them coming back before i finished resting.
That is indeed a marvelous improvement.
Old May 8, 2017, 17:37   #89
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The big change is a new randart generation algorithm, which is much more efficient (no more waiting forever for randart generation to finish). There are some significant changes, the biggest of which is that randarts are no longer "based on" standard artifacts; for the most part, though, the actual creation of individual new randarts is the same. Given that the chief relationship between the randart and the standart it was based on was the power - there was no influence on actual properties - I don't think this will cause any problems. Do please report any concerns with the new randarts as used; there is a lot of scope for adjustment of the new algorithm.
I'll have to look up at this for PWMAngband. The constraint when you have a multiplayer base is that you need to base your randart set from something that all players have in common, and the only thing was the standard artifact set. So no fancy rerolling base items till now. If the new algorithm in V takes freedom from the actual arts, then it's something to consider.
Old May 8, 2017, 20:11   #90
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Nick, I got a crash from asan at obj-randart.c:2518:
Code:
while (strstr(art->name, "The One Ring") ||
	kf_has(kind->kind_flags, KF_QUEST_ART)) {
	(*aidx)++;
	art = &a_info[*aidx];
	art_level = art->level;
	if ((*aidx) >= z_info->a_max) {
		return;
	}
}
obj-init.c allocates z_info->a_max + 1 structs (line 2700), but note that it then increments a_max (line 2715). So accessing art->level when *aidx == a_max is illegal (perhaps that's the cause of Nomad's crash?)
(come to think of it, why does obj-init.c do that? and why does it start assigning from a_max, leaving zeroed out struct at the beginning?)
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote