Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old May 15, 2017, 21:02   #41
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You are recalling a lot. I find that mage characters do best when they dive fast and hunt for individual high value targets (mature dragons, then weak Higher Demons like Nalfshanee.) Rely heavily on detection and avoid nearly all at-depth monsters. That said, See Invisible quickly becomes a necessity, as does good distance vision, from either ESP, or some combination of light rods, light radius, and infravision.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017, 23:42   #42
Sky
Swordsman

Sky is on a distinguished road
i'm selling, so i recall whenever i get a substantial amount of money. once egos start showing up, i rarely recall and squelch everything else.

now, back to the dungeon.

DL23 .. CL23. my xp requirements have gone up, so my CL will be chasing the DL from now on.

blink dogs on recall. they don't do any damage so i just nuke them. A DM shows me there's little to hurt me, and the level feeling is ... 4-$ !!

yayx, my first artifact. Probably the Phial or similar. I'm using a ring of Escaping so any melee weapon is wasted, but it might come with a resist or two, or even See Invisible. I quaff my potion of Enlightment.

I move to the room next to mine and find a lantern and some other useless gear. The next bunch of mobs is black orcs and Gorbag, neither of which can stand Acid Bolt. In a corner i find the necklace Renenel, +3 STR, +1 Infra, Hold Life, rChaos, rLight, activates for slow monster. I can now clear magma veins, but it's not quite as effective as casting stone to mud.

One of the rooms is a kobold pit. with my 112 SP i fear nothing, so i go and murder them laughing. Half of the dungeon is devoid of life, and objects, so i gather my loot and head back to home base. There's a potion of Enlightment i need to grab ...

i can now cast Teleport Other. good, this is a major stepping stone for a mage, and while my fail rate is 44%, i can still reliably use this on sleeping uniques inside a vault.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017, 23:44   #43
Sky
Swordsman

Ninth recall, DL0:

nothing to be found in the BM. i cast frost ball and TO for the XP, but ponder whether i actually need to lug around the 4th mage book, as i have a wand of TO and will never be using the frost ball spell until .. well, never.
Old May 16, 2017, 00:10   #44
Sky
Swordsman

DL23:

DM shows some black orcs, some master yeeks .. nothing worth mentioning. I'm probably OOD to them, because i could be around DL30 right now, but i still have no Free Action, no See Invisible, and there's a ton of other goodies i could wish for.

I grab two new wands and a staff, and massacre the orcs. There's a huddle of uruks up ahead, that's my next target.

Once i'm in the uruk room, i start to unleash fire bolts, and kill most of them. I didnt notice Lugdush is also there, and i dont want to use my consumables, so i TS with plenty of mana and HP to spare, and then rest.
I see a room with some elven priests, some air hounds .. i know i will get blinded and so i dig a corridor with S2M, taking care to rest every couple castings. And i break into the room and i get blinded, but a quick CLW and i'm back to unleashing acidic hell on the mobs. The same happens to a bunch of uruks next door.
Time to go kill Lugdush. A quick zap of TL reveals a huge pile of treasure up ahead, but the level feeling is 5-3 so i'm not expecting much. Once next to the treasure, i DM and see Shagrat .. 300 Xp. cool.

I S2M a tunnel to nuke him, and when i breach into the micro-vault the 2 fire hounds in it burn up 2 unknown scrolls. Shegrat goes down easy.
I find a couple magical weapons i want to sell, so i try to make room in my inventory by reading to ID a scroll .. it's a enchant armor scroll. i casually enchant my .. gauntlets???

I hit myself on the head really hard.

Looks like i was wearing these just as a way to carry them to town, and forgot to take them off.
My mana jumps to 157 SP. This is why Angband is just too complicated for the average human being to notice everything.

Anyway, let's go murder that orc dude. There is nothing between me and him, so i just mercilessly nuke him with acid bolt. I find a ring of damage which i cannot use, and a wand.
Old May 16, 2017, 00:46   #45
Sky
Swordsman

tenth recall, the BM still has nothing to sell. i drop my loot and head back to ..

DL23:

elves and ochre jelly. don't like to fight either, so i move along and find trolls and black orcs, which i love. I nuke them without hesitation.

The level feeling is 4-2 and i see Bolg, son of Azog. He's worth 600 XP so this will be a nice test of my newlyfound mana. I also have a single potion of speed, as he moves fast.

I invistigate the layout, and find him in a corner. He wakes up fast and i blink, ending in a large room .. perfect. Bolg hits me once, for 60 damage!, but i keep blinking and he succumbs to my acid bolts. he drops a cutlass of slay dragon, which goes in the money pot.

Time for some stairs.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:08   #46
Sky
Swordsman

"this place seems terribly dangerous"

DL24:

i start in an empty room, and DM shows one baby dragon and absolutely nothing else. i zap my TD and .. nothing.

I'm lazy so i TS, kill a panther, and DM and TD again. Some hounds, some wolves, a umber hulk. I move a bit, and it's one more hulk, which i kill, and .. nothing?
The level feeling is 7-5 .. where is the stuff?

I TS again, and still cant find anything .. i do manage to kill the second hulk.

A master rogue double-moves me while i try to open a door, and steals 1400 gold .. i spend a long time chasing him down, and come to find an ant pit. Easy work for me, and as a bonus, i find the rogue as well. ding! CL25, 161 HP, 163 SP.

I still can't believe how stupid of me to wear those gauntlets ..

stairs!
Old May 16, 2017, 01:10   #47
Sky
Swordsman

DL25:

dreadfully short on artifacts, i DM and see two soldiers, two acolytes .. not much. The level feeling is 5-2, and i see some stairs .. i want to speed things up a bit so i take the plunge.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:12   #48
Sky
Swordsman

DL26:

hill giant, some ticks, a druid .. if there isn't anything 6 or above here, i'm recalling to see what the BM has.

I fight a ranger, another tick .. level feeling 3-4, i'm out.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:16   #49
Sky
Swordsman

eleventh recall, DL0:

Durwin has some nice stock, which i cannot afford. 7 potions of DEX, 5 of STR, and a single potion of CON, which i buy. I am at 167 HP, with 16 CON.

If i had dived, i would be able to afford them all. But then again, if i had dived, i would be dead. I liquidate one of my wands of TO, because i will not need them in a couple CL and one is enough for now. Also, i want to buy that single potion of restore mana from the BM.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:46   #50
Sky
Swordsman

last recall for the night, DL26:

i recall in an empty room, and DM a shambling mound and some wolves.
I move along a corridor to the other side of the map, and find only some more wolves, but the level feeling comes back as 6-$ .. cha-ching!

I quaff my second and last !Enlight, and see a very small level (10 rooms) with one small vault. There's almost no mobs, so there must be a dragon in the vault. I have a wand of TO. excellent.

I make my way there. I am reminded that i do not have See Invisible, when something invisible drains my life. I TS and find myself in the other side of the map, where i kill a ranger and his summons, which include a hydra.

I head to the vault from the other side, and a fire vortex decides to burn my only copy of mage1. What's most annoying is that now my Fire Bolt keymap no longer works.

I find a new rod, and a second ring of Escaping .. i have now base speed +8.
In the vault, i see a Star. cool. There's some algoroths in there, but nothing i shouldn't be able to nuke with acid bolt. I walk in, nuke the algoroths .. and level up.
CL26, 171 HP, 170 SP. I quaff a stat potion, but unfortunately it's a potion of Contemplation, and i lose a point of STR. Oh well .. at least, the Star is a +3 light, (+8, +7) item which will be great if i ever take off my rings of Escaping.

time to call it a day for today.