Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2012, 03:53   #1
saarn
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 112
saarn is on a distinguished road
resist fire ego comes with friends in gd08de4a

Items with the rFire ego seem to come with many other resists.

I got a buckler of resist fire that also has rAcid
and then I just got a jerkin of resist fire off Smeagol that has all four basic resists (and ignores base elements).

Seems a bit weird to me-- the jerkin would be called of resistance in older angbands and I think would be considered super sweet at DLVL 16. I hope this is just me getting lucky, not a byproduct of ego by affix. If it is, there should probably be some sort of exponential increase to item goodness based on number of resists.
saarn is offline  
Old May 17, 2012, 09:38   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,054
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarn View Post
Items with the rFire ego seem to come with many other resists.

I got a buckler of resist fire that also has rAcid
and then I just got a jerkin of resist fire off Smeagol that has all four basic resists (and ignores base elements).

Seems a bit weird to me-- the jerkin would be called of resistance in older angbands and I think would be considered super sweet at DLVL 16. I hope this is just me getting lucky, not a byproduct of ego by affix. If it is, there should probably be some sort of exponential increase to item goodness based on number of resists.
How the new ego system works is described on the dev wiki: http://trac.rephial.org/wiki/NewEgos. That's probably too much detail, but the basic issue you're discovering is that an item's name is no longer an exhaustive description of its properties. (Canny readers will recall that sorting out ego naming is top of the list in the v4 contributions thread.)

An item is currently named using its best prefix and best suffix, if it has them. Obviously all base resists are equal, so it will keep the name of whichever it got first. That said, make sure you read the section on Themes, and have a look at lib/edit/ego_themes.txt - once an item acquires more than one affix, it has a chance of acquiring a theme. Resistance is one such theme, which can be aqcuired when an item gets any two base resists. The probabilities are designed such that all four base resists should automatically get the theme, and this change the name to Of Resistance. This should have happened to your jerkin - but if we look closely at ego_themes.txt we can see that in the absence of Durability and Reinforced, the probability is only 28 * 28 * 4 / 34 = 92.2%. When we consider that it failed two other tries for the theme (when the second and third resists were added), the chance of failure is not 7.8% but 2.9%.
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graphic errors in gd08de4a build CyclopsSlayer v4 6 May 14, 2012 02:52
Oil and Fire. buzzkill Development 1 April 25, 2011 22:20
Summoned friends and escorts fizzix Vanilla 6 August 16, 2010 07:04
monsters with friends PowerDiver Development 2 December 23, 2009 21:52
Monster friend/friends flags CunningGabe Vanilla 5 February 20, 2009 22:30


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.