Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old June 8, 2013, 23:38   #31
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
The Int/id thing is a side issue really, my main proposal was to.take the leap to.having 2 spell stats for caster classes

A.
Old June 9, 2013, 00:25   #32
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
About 2 stats for caster classes - what about reversing the roles of each stat for the different colour casters. So for red, int gives spellpower and wis mana pool, for green the other way round ?
I dont know how much I like int giving mana reserves, but I like it probably more than int affecting priest spell power.
Old June 9, 2013, 00:51   #33
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
So at one point I was looking at 2 spell stats for casters in FA, pretty much as follows:
Code:
            Mana Stat
            INT     WIS

Fail  DEX   Mage    Druid
Stat  CHR   Necro   Priest
Note that FA has four caster classes (Mage, Druid, Priest, Necromancer) and four associated half-caster classes (Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Assassin). So the idea was basically retain INT and WIS in their roles as governing mana, but use DEX and CHR to govern failure rates.

It's really nice and symmetric, but in practice it just didn't seem to work so well.
Old June 9, 2013, 00:52   #34
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The other suggestion I've seen is for INT to determine the number of spells you can learn, while WIS determines your mana pool. The only issue I have with that is that characters would generally try to be as stupid as possible while still learning the spells they need, but that's still an improvement over the current system, where holy casters are as stupid as possible, period, and arcane casters as unwise (foolish?) as possible.
Old June 9, 2013, 00:57   #35
Antoine

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The other suggestion I've seen is for INT to determine the number of spells you can learn, while WIS determines your mana pool. The only issue I have with that is that characters would generally try to be as stupid as possible while still learning the spells they need,le.
I think Int could reasonably cover number of spells and failure rate?

The main issue with this proposal is that it would require a long hard look at the artifact list

A.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:24   #36
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Well, that's true of any change that makes both INT and WIS needed by both types of caster.
Old June 9, 2013, 02:03   #37
Antoine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Well, that's true of any change that makes both INT and WIS needed by both types of caster.

Quite. Also egos and race/class bonii
Old June 9, 2013, 03:27   #38
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
So the idea was basically retain INT and WIS in their roles as governing mana, but use DEX and CHR to govern failure rates.

It's really nice and symmetric, but in practice it just didn't seem to work so well.
Un did this as well. It wound up being weird where I would try to start a mage with 18 Int but then never ever bother increasing it because after that first missile + detect combo, it was frankly a dump stat.
Old June 9, 2013, 04:03   #39
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
How about this:

For red casters: int determines everything as before, except manapool, which is guarded by wis. In addition, int provides a multiplier for all damage spells (similar to str for a warrior, and this might or might not replace the level dependent dam increase of spells). Non-damage spells like detect traps arent affected by this multiplier.

For green casters: wis determines everything as before, including manapool. In addition, int score guards a damage multiplier for damage spells same as for red casters (mostly OoD, but that is important enough to want more int; possibly have heal amount also be affected).

I fear by making both int and wis desirable, the half-casters might be adversly affected; they now have to bother with 5 stats (before it was 4 and that was bad enough).
Old June 9, 2013, 07:20   #40
Antoine

For half casters, my feeling was that theyd prioritise Wis and let Int slide a bit - so theyd have dicey fail rates but plenty of sp.

Along with more generous progression - ie the same number of sp at lower spell stat than before - this should keep half casters viable...

A.