Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Obsolete > v4

Old November 9, 2013, 07:33   #1
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Red face and just like that, it's all over.

Many many hours of carefully and not so carefully slogging my way deeper into the dungeon, suddenly, without any warning, "the grolem breathes poison and you die" reads across the top of the screen on level 46, which is odd now that I think of it, because I thought I was on level 43. Pretty sure about that. Very odd. Strange how 99% of the time I'm taking between 0 and 30 damage a hit, when I can go from 500 to 0 in one move.

I was a level 36 with some fantastic speed boosts I had recently acquired. First was a ring of speed for +9. Then were boots of speed for +9 and then a rod of speed for +10. That improved things considerably and I was relatively comfortably moving around the low 40s, checking new baddies before rushing into them. But I thought I was on level 43 (really don't know why it said level 46) and the little g just didn't seem like anything special so I went and attacked him and then notice his health bar didn't go down after I had my turn so was excited that he might be a challenging foe, when then before I get to go again, I'm dead!

It's one of the things that keeps the game exciting and addictive, tho. You can die at any moment.
Old November 9, 2013, 10:58   #2
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Hah, it's been a while since a drolem caught someone.
Those do 800 hp of damage with a breath if you don't resist poison.
Old November 9, 2013, 13:24   #3
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Hah, it's been a while since a drolem caught someone.
Those do 800 hp of damage with a breath if you don't resist poison.
I had resistance redundancy on just about everything (and resistance for stuff I hadn't encountered yet, like chaos) but the one weapon I think, that had res pois was too weakly, so I continued using my 341 hit-to-dam which was serving me very well. I had a ring of constitution <+6> and a ring of damage (0, +14) to choose from. I basically only ever used the damage. Maybe my HP would have been just 800 had I been wearing the constitution ring instead of the damage ring. I had also gotten a weapon when I was Cl20s (or maybe even teens) that was immune to fire! but it's to hit wasn't as high as another weapon so I sold it (bangs head against wall) man, fire was burning up all sorts of fine equipment in my pack, not to mention delivering some nasty damage to me, even with res-fire on multiple pieces of equipment.
Old November 9, 2013, 15:12   #4
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
... even with res-fire on multiple pieces of equipment.
As you've discovered, resistances on equipment don't stack. The only case where resistances stack is you're getting potion-granted resistance on top of equipment-granted resistance.
Old November 9, 2013, 15:13   #5
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
In V resistance redundancy only matters as a permanent resistance + temporary. Which version are you using? Because for standard V I think to-hit is not really too useful. Oh, and have you tried no-selling? It's worth a try.

EDIT: Certain variants have resistance redundancy with increased percentage resistance. Have you tried O or FA? I think PosCheng might have it too.
Old November 9, 2013, 16:19   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
the little g just didn't seem like anything special so I went and attacked him and then notice his health bar didn't go down after I had my turn so was excited that he might be a challenging foe... I'm dead!
That always happens as soon as you get comfortable. Just when you think you might have it figured out.
Old November 11, 2013, 14:07   #7
Grotug
Knight

I'm using version 3.4.1

What is the advantage of playing with 'no selling'?

What are O and FA?
Old November 11, 2013, 14:41   #8
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
No selling gives you more gold on the dungeon floor, but doesn't let you sell stuff at stores.

I like this mode because it stops my OCD tendency to hoard every arrow, pebble, and dagger to sell back at the town. Some people really don't like it.

OAngband and FAangband are mature variants with a long history and some very twisted maintainers.
Old November 11, 2013, 14:56   #9
Grotug
Knight

Okay, yes, I have the same problem of hoarding and fussing too long over which items to leave behind and which to word of recall back with me. I might give it a shot. When I died on level 43 I had over $300,000 AU, tho Of course the black market wasn't selling anything I needed.

I am a huge fan of Tolkien and have similar, conservative sentiments as him, so I probably wouldn't particularly care for the adult versions .

EDIT: I just started playing on no-selling and now it won't tell me what the potions are when I quaff them. :-/

Last edited by Grotug; November 11, 2013 at 15:15.
Old November 11, 2013, 15:25   #10
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I could be 100% wrong on this, but i believe you're allowed to sell potions back to the stores in no-selling mode for the purposes of iding them -- you just won't get any money for them.

Again, this is based on very foggy memory and I could be totally wrong.

Quaff-id should still work, but I think you need to be in a certain state / circumstance for them to do so. Again, don't quite remember how use-id works in vanilla anymore