Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2010, 01:41   #1
awldune
Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 113
awldune is on a distinguished road
Town layout

I'm sure this has come up before here or in rgra, but it has always annoyed me that some of the shop doors are on the back side of the buildings. It seems like the town is basically arranged as a street with shops on both sides, so why would some shops have their entrance at the back?

For that matter, why is the town layout random? Does anyone enjoy this feature?

Just a petty gripe. I was really impressed when I started a new character after retiring my winner and it immediately offered me a new character with the same race/class/stat allotment.
awldune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2010, 02:25   #2
Hariolor
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 289
Hariolor is on a distinguished road
I've noticed this as well. I'd honestly be pretty happy if the town level were just a menu, numbered 1-8 (for shops), with 9 prompting you to (r)ead a scroll or go to DL1.

Short of that solution, I'd agree that a randomized town layout serves little purpose, really, and could be standardized.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2010, 04:02   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,915
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
I've noticed this as well. I'd honestly be pretty happy if the town level were just a menu, numbered 1-8 (for shops), with 9 prompting you to (r)ead a scroll or go to DL1.

Short of that solution, I'd agree that a randomized town layout serves little purpose, really, and could be standardized.
If you count turns, town layout makes a difference. I don't see anything wrong with a random town (it does add significant flavor for newbies.) though I agree that doors should usually be on the front or sides of buildings, except the black market entrance should always be around back.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2010, 04:59   #4
Marble Dice
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Columbia, MO. USA
Posts: 405
Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
May I suggest:

Code:
###########
###########
####123####
####4>5####
####678####
###########
###########
Joking aside, Pete's suggestion seems reasonable. You could give shop doors a 90% chance to be in the front, and a 10% chance to be on the side, with the black market door being on the back instead of the front.
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 06:06   #5
Hariolor
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 289
Hariolor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
If you count turns, town layout makes a difference. I don't see anything wrong with a random town (it does add significant flavor for newbies.) though I agree that doors should usually be on the front or sides of buildings, except the black market entrance should always be around back.
If you count turns, and your layout is different than every other layout in every other game, then you are essentially getting a randomly-assigned benefit/penalty in terms of turncount. I realize this is no different than the RNG's effects on items, dungeon maps, etc etc - but something about it feels wrong to me. Perhaps because everyone has a town level, and everyone will use it at least once (unless they are voluntarily foregoing its availability). Really not that important to the game overall, though.

Also, I like MD's suggestion. Do that
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 06:43   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,174
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
Also, I like MD's suggestion. Do that
What, and have it be two steps from 5 to 4 and only one step from 5 to 2? That would be so unfair
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 19:18   #7
HallucinationMushroom
Knight
 
HallucinationMushroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indiana, U.S.A.
Age: 39
Posts: 771
HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Town Drunks need a place to Stumble... I propose:

Code:
###########
###  ######
####123####
####4>5####
####678####
###########
###########
__________________
You are on something strange
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 19:30   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Town Drunks need a place to Stumble... I propose:

Code:
###########
###  ######
####123####
####4>5####
####678####
###########
###########
If you taking things this seriously, you need to put an empty square in drop distance from each store. Occasionally you accidentally do stuff inside a store that causes you to drop an item out of the store. Do that e.g. in the home above and it would be destroyed.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 21:23   #9
awldune
Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 113
awldune is on a distinguished road
I was thinking something like this:

Code:
#########################################
#                                       #
#                                       #
#           #####             #######   #
#           #####  ########   #######   #
#           #####  ########   #######   #
#     ###   #####  ########   #######   #
#     ###   #####  ########   #######   #
#     #8#   ###3#  ###2####   ###1###   #
#                                       #
#                                       #
#                  >                    #
#                                       #
#                                       #
#   #####  ####4##  ###6##    ##5###    #
#   #####  #######  ######    ######    #
#   #####  #######  ######    ######    #
#   #####  #######  ######    ######    #
#   #####           ######    ######    #
#   ###7#           ######              #
#                                       #
#                                       #
#########################################
A fixed layout would let us have a small home and a black market that is "in back" if desired. There would still be enough room for some townspeople.
awldune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2010, 21:33   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by awldune View Post
A fixed layout would let us have a small home and a black market that is "in back" if desired. There would still be enough room for some townspeople.
I hope Takk treats this whole issue with the contempt it deserves. So a random town might cost you a few more turns if you get a duff layout. The whole game is random! You might as well suggest that dl1 should always contain a specific set of monsters ... and so on all the way to dl100.

EDIT: I tell you what though - I wouldn't mind a "goto" key, which then takes a store number argument and takes the shortest route to that store.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[YAVP] Entroband Vanilla Town Djabanete AAR 1 December 5, 2009 19:20
Disgusting people in the town Robert Vanilla 3 May 6, 2009 14:57
Playing without returning to town TJS Vanilla 14 April 7, 2009 21:37
[Heng] Lost Phial in Town?? Donald Jonker Variants 2 June 28, 2008 14:36
[Un/FA] Nowhere town... aargh!!! andrewdoull Variants 14 November 30, 2007 08:45


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.