Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old December 19, 2015, 19:55   #11
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
First time I played ironman priest I always bought pb3 due to advice on the forum. This has merit since oob is going to be your best friend for a very large part of the game but I don't do this anymore. Problems due to lack of ?phase, !clw and torches/oil/food are usually much more annoying than not having found pb3 yet.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2015, 20:18   #12
wobbly
Prophet

wobbly will become famous soon enough
So I'm going to have a go at this too. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18458, not dead yet.

Problems with uniques have pushed me down faster then I would like, but I have found a few good items, so maybe ok.

I actually prioritize getting early AC with this, I figure when you don't have teleport & you don't have good stealth+detect, then you actually want some AC.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2015, 08:27   #13
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Damnit! Spamming the keys killed Holy Diver. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18457

Ethereal dragon breath into the resistance hole. The RNG had not been very kind about speed or PB6. Still, DL 51 is better than DL 5, which is what I was making before. Argh! Back to the beginning.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2015, 17:49   #14
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

And another one bites it, swarmed by a nest of Mirkwood Spiders with no escape. I think I'm giving up the Ironman Dwarf Priest attempt. It feels too dependent on luck from the RNG gods for me.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
Old December 20, 2015, 18:55   #15
wobbly
Prophet

Hmm..., mine hasn't made it to where your 1st run died yet, but so far my feeling is that it's less dependent on luck & more dependent on grinding. Once you get portal & a decent pool of mana you're super solid. You can detect the worst dangers, you can portal away, you've got a stack of hps. It'll probably change once fast big breathers start appearing in my game but so far I've felt bored more often then in actual danger.
Old December 20, 2015, 19:43   #16
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Hmm..., mine hasn't made it to where your 1st run died yet, but so far my feeling is that it's less dependent on luck & more dependent on grinding....
Right now, the grind is boring, but with forced descent eventually the monsters are grinding @'s bones to make their bread! At least that's how it was for my attempts. I'm content to live vicariously through your run. Good luck!
Old December 21, 2015, 23:52   #17
Raccoon
Scout

Raccoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Fear that @ will quickly become overleveled.
Does being overleveled hurt you in any way? Aside from the tedium of the level grind?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2015, 00:05   #18
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Does being overleveled hurt you in any way? Aside from the tedium of the level grind?
If your stats get drained, then it takes longer to restore them. That's the only downside that I'm aware of.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2015, 08:03   #19
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Obviously I wasn't precise enough in language when I used the word "overleveled". What I meant was that soon the level of Monsters would so far exceed the @ that nearly every encounter is dangerous. Yes, the early levels its a grind, but, unless @ gets lucky with some detection, ESP, and a good weapon, by about DL 50 my dwarf priest forced descent ironman @'s meet their demise.
Old December 22, 2015, 11:37   #20
wobbly
Prophet

I can see what you mean by it suddenly turning very nasty. Anyways found ethereal openings on dlvl 46.

dlvl 48 finally found rpoison & dlvl 49 telepathy from a gondolin whip.

Last edited by wobbly; December 22, 2015 at 13:23.