Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2016, 01:22   #1
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 2,123
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Regarding Temporary Resist indicators

An argument for Temporary Resist indicators to also be shown when @ has immunity.

When @ acquires a standard resistance, there is no indicator on the screen, and that seems fine. Players should be trying to cover the standard resistances in the ordinary course. When @ has a temporary resist, an indicator is shown on the screen. This also seems reasonable and helpful as player may need to know a resist is covered (especially double resisted) when deciding to go into certain fights. In my opinion, immunity should also cause the temporary resist indicator to be shown. It seems to me that (1) immunity is inclusive of the temporary resist, and (2) I forget that the resist is covered and waste time, spells or consumables to double resist when it is absolutely unnecessary.
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016, 23:56   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 57
Posts: 9,426
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
I see your point, but my first reaction is that would be more confusing. That area is for temporary conditions of all types, and is probably most important for things like confusion and stunning - including permanent equipment properties would muddy the waters IMHO.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016, 00:43   #3
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
I still vote for showing your base four resistance coverage in the sidebar under your stats, with an indicator something like this:

Code:
             
 rAcid  None 
 rElec  x1/3 
 rFire  x1/9 
 rCold  **** 
             
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016, 01:56   #4
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 2,123
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I see your point, but my first reaction is that would be more confusing. That area is for temporary conditions of all types, and is probably most important for things like confusion and stunning - including permanent equipment properties would muddy the waters IMHO.
With Immuity Fire, for example, isn't the temporary rFire always covered and thus the indicator should always be on?
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016, 03:16   #5
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,400
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
With Immuity Fire, for example, isn't the temporary rFire always covered and thus the indicator should always be on?
IMO that's a pretty unintuitive leap. If I see a status light i expect it means "watch this thing because it's going to go away soon."
__________________
Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016, 03:36   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,706
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
This is reasonable. I'd like to see sustained stats on the main screen done in dark green, if they are not drained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I still vote for showing your base four resistance coverage in the sidebar under your stats, with an indicator something like this:

Code:
             
 rAcid  None 
 rElec  x1/3 
 rFire  x1/9 
 rCold  **** 
             
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016, 06:32   #7
AnonymousHero
Veteran
 
AnonymousHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,391
AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I see your point, but my first reaction is that would be more confusing. That area is for temporary conditions of all types, and is probably most important for things like confusion and stunning - including permanent equipment properties would muddy the waters IMHO.
Show "Fire" (etc.) for double-res and "FIRE" for immunity? (Or "*Fire*", or "*FIRE*", or...)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016, 17:17   #8
Tibarius
Swordsman
 
Tibarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 53
Posts: 429
Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
resistance information

I do think the current color codes suggests the player to make false assumptions. The main question is - can it kill me with one attack (breath).
So even if i have resistance fire from equipment and face a Great Wyrm of Hell (which can breath for 1600) this could kill me if i have less than 533 HPs. Currently the monster recal information would show the fire breath in yellow color (because i got one resistance), but actually it should show read - because it can one hit kill @. Yellow color if it cannot one-hit kill you. Green color if you are immune or take only minor damage like <=10% of current(!) HPs.

That's my thoughts on color codes and danger-levels.

For me the current system with temporary and permanent resistance show in the character screen is ok. What is very confusing is - that the amount of damage taken IF you resist varies very much from element to element. I think it would make sense to make that equal for all elements (or is there a reason the resistance works differently on the available elements?).
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016, 18:05   #9
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,706
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The higher elements have lower damage because it is much harder to cover them all with a resist, and because the basic 5 are so much more common. You pretty much have to assume that any breather can do 400-550 damage unresisted; single resist for cold, fire, or elec mean 533 damage; for acid (with all armor slots covered) and poison, it means 266. Further, resistance for the higher elements is less effective for the same reason: the base damage is lower.

Rule of thumb: the higher the damage, the easier a resistance is to get.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016, 00:03   #10
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 57
Posts: 9,426
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
What is very confusing is - that the amount of damage taken IF you resist varies very much from element to element. I think it would make sense to make that equal for all elements (or is there a reason the resistance works differently on the available elements?).
Yes, the high resist system should at least be simplified.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attack damage indicators in monster memory Wanderlust Vanilla 7 December 15, 2015 20:22
Why no temporary telepathy Mark Vanilla 5 January 27, 2014 08:30
Temporary Stat Loss UglySquirrell Vanilla 0 August 8, 2011 21:48
rings for temporary resistance? stalza Vanilla 6 February 25, 2010 02:48
Failed to Create Temporary File \s87g.1. d1sc0nnected Vanilla 2 April 2, 2008 19:45


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.