Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old March 17, 2017, 02:22   #11
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
All this talk about how horrible C is made me want to start hacking on Angband again C is fun. Let's try to compile this thing... heh, it works. Thanks, Nick!
Let me think... ientification, traps, curses and other annoying things should be removed, combat system rewritten... ok, I don't want to derail this thread
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017, 04:38   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Well yes. That's why I wrote the menu system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Heh, I feel you, man.
I don't mind the hand-coding of menus, but having to hand-code N versions of lists-of-various things, etc. just kills me.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017, 04:43   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
C# is a reasonably nice language, but it's not fully portable. Mono is always a bit behind. Python drives me crazy, because of its runtime type check. Very painful on a large project, though apparently this is solved to some extent by more recent versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrhtnoth View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Really supportive atmosphere here.

As a matter of fact, I went and looked at C++ right after the first few responses, and then looked around some more when I grasped how huge the language is. I've mostly programmed in Python, Java and C in the past, with some experimentation in Racket, JS and C#. I don't really want to deal with Java's verbosity much, and I felt like using something other than Python this time around.
In the interest of exploration I went and started reading through the Rust docs (loving the language so far -- all my favourite features of C, Racket and Python are present!) I'm glad to hear you recommend it, AnonymousHero!

The project likely doesn't require Rust's safety or concurrency features (although they could come in handy if I wanted to get very fancy with it). Nonetheless, I'd certainly like it to be long-term and running with a low performance overhead (ideally a compiled language, though it makes less of a difference nowadays), and I quite like Rust's style (and package manager!) If I feel like I'd rather stick to something a bit more familiar, I'll probably use C# or Racket.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data, parse, parser