Old February 28, 2017, 20:22   #11
Justin Z
Rookie

Justin Z is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Ideas:
  • Did you change the dpi?
  • Did you try running 4.0.5 with the new font in the XP VM?
  • It may be that Windows 10 has introduced some other incompatibility
  • FAangband (current version or 1.1.6) might do some things differently, if you're experimenting it might be worth looking at how well they work
  • I really don't think I changed anything to do with fonts going from 3.5 to 4.0

I have spent quite a bit of time struggling with Windows fonts over the years, and sometimes just had to give up and hope someone else fixed it. Not to discourage you
Thanks for the ideas. I tried to even do just a load it up, save it up--and that still didn't work. Something's going on for sure. Good idea testing in the Virtual Machine though, I'm going to do that now.

What puzzles me most of all is that I have one solitary file that works--the DOSLike.fon I attached earlier in the thread. What sets it (and Angband's built-in fonts) apart? It is a mystery. Anyway I'll see what happens in XP, then check FAangband.

Edit: Exact same behaviour even in Windows freakin' XP. I thought you were onto something. Checking FAangband now . . .

Edit2: Annnd exactly the same result there as well.

Edit3: Also, for the record, this is happening now on the old builds too. So who knows what in the world the difference was back when I got other fonts to work.

Last edited by Justin Z; February 28, 2017 at 20:42.
Justin Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 20:44   #12
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
So how about describing what you're doing exactly... You mentioned symbols ☺, ♣, ♀, those are not in the range 0 - 31. How are you adding them, etc. Looking at main-win.c, one place where it can fail is line 1391 (AddFontResourceEx(...)). I don't see "#define UNICODE" anywhere (so I take it it's compiled as something that Windows people call "ANSI"), so, yeah, how are you adding those symbols?
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 20:50   #13
Justin Z
Rookie

I tried various methods in Windows 10--one was to insert the glyphs into their traditional positions, effectively enlarging the total set. I tried various encodings, including Windows Latin and several ISO 8859 sets. Another idea was to replace some of the glyphs that are just boxes with those symbols, keeping the font the same size from a total number of glyphs standpoint (and presumably maintaining compatibility--but not in actuality).

And then as I mentioned, both with the newer software and with Softy on the virtual machine, I simply loaded the font, saved it, tried it in Angband. . . and something still broke in-between.

To clarify, those symbols are in the range 0-31 in code page 437, which is what DOS used. I know things work differently in Windows, but if I could wave a magic wand I'd get a font that mirrors what you'd get in DOS from 0-255, with things like δ at position 235 (looks like a snake) and ¢ at 155 (looks like a helmet with a face shield), and so on.

Last edited by Justin Z; March 1, 2017 at 11:21.
Old February 28, 2017, 21:11   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
The Russian guy who posts videos made a mini documentary on angband (actually ToME) fonts. He created his own, from scratch.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 21:27   #15
Justin Z
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
The Russian guy who posts videos made a mini documentary on angband (actually ToME) fonts. He created his own, from scratch.
I saw that video and got excited because he was using different software. Tried it--same result as everything else.
Old February 28, 2017, 21:35   #16
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Dammit, you made me read ancient C code again
What happens if you reboot your computer before changing the .fon file and starting Angband?
(and if that fails, I advise to forget about it, really )
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017, 22:44   #17
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
It has only just occurred to me that the problem is probably to do with the change from ASCII to UTF-8. I'm going to leave someone else to unpack that thought, though
Old March 1, 2017, 11:13   #18
Justin Z
Rookie

t4nk,

I wasn't exactly sure what order you meant by your suggestion so I tried rebooting at various times throughout the process, but no luck.

Nick,

I'm thinking you may be right. I decided to at least use the characters available to me and got lots of unexpected results. For example, using the cent sign symbol as the glyph for the helmet in the object.txt file rendered a smiley face in my inventory area on the left! But then when I tried to use the same symbol in the monster_base.txt file to render the player as a smiley face, I got a lowercase z. The encoding is definitely . . . amiss.

Edit: That's only if I don't also have my player encoded to that symbol (appearing as z). If I do, the helm appears as a \ instead. If I change the player back to @ the helm then becomes ☻. Assigning floating eyes to © or ® (169 and 174 in DOSLike, respectively) instead renders them as ◆.

Edit 2: I do seem to remember that in the old versions, instead of typing in the actual character you wanted to use in the configuration files, you gave its reference within the font file (i.e. 75 would be a capital K, 36 would be $, etc.)

Last edited by Justin Z; March 1, 2017 at 11:35.
Old March 6, 2017, 14:56   #19
Gwarl
Swordsman

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It has only just occurred to me that the problem is probably to do with the change from ASCII to UTF-8. I'm going to leave someone else to unpack that thought, though
I would guess so. The 'floor tiles not displaying correctly in post UTF-8 versions' thing happened to me with the SSH server and I found a couple of other posts using google about people getting odd floor tiles. I'd think this problem would be related too.

I'd recommend following the advice Nick gave me in the SSH server thread, and editing font-gcu.prf
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017, 13:27   #20
Justin Z
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarl View Post
I would guess so. The 'floor tiles not displaying correctly in post UTF-8 versions' thing happened to me with the SSH server and I found a couple of other posts using google about people getting odd floor tiles. I'd think this problem would be related too.

I'd recommend following the advice Nick gave me in the SSH server thread, and editing font-gcu.prf
Thanks, seems like a plausible line of inquiry.

Nick, is there any documentation for what feature numbers correspond to what terrain, objects, creatures, etc.? The font-gcu.prf file I have has three, 1 for the floor, 19 for a magma vein with treasure, and 20 for a quartz vein with treasure.