Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 3, 2007, 00:59   #11
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I do not wish to take this out of context - this is just for the nightlies? Will we see a day when I can't import my old savefiles into the newer "final" versions? I'd really hate to lose all my monster memories and similar out of that.
The next major release will be breaking savefile compat. It's been a long time since such a break, IIRC, but it also gives a chance to introduce a new savefile format which should be able to break less often. The reason there'll be a break: the item list will be re-ordered, some items will be added (and some old ones removed), and the monster list will likewise see rearrangement, and some amount of rebalancing. I don't relish breaking compat., but it has to be done this time round.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2007, 01:07   #12
Nameless
Rookie

Nameless is on a distinguished road
Well, if it must be done, then it must be done. Thanks for the heads up before the new version makes its way out.
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2007, 09:47   #13
Hugo
Scout

Hugo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctate View Post
Any time any of the edit/*.txt data files change, you need to nuke the corresponding data/*.raw files manually.
Hi ctate,

The game has code to check the last change date of both the .txt and the .raw files, and to rebuild .raw files that have a more recent corresponding .txt file. If you find that they don't get rebuilt automatically after a change to the .txt files, you should submit a bug report.

The only times when you need to manually delete the .raw files are when you restore a backup after messing up some changes (since most backup software will not touch the last-change date), when you import .txt files from another person who saved them before your last .raw build, or when you have been playing with your computer clock.

--
Angband spoilers - now updated for Angband 3.0.8 !!!!!
Visit http://www.juti.nl/hugo/Angband/Spoiler/index.htm
--
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007, 12:51   #14
Kiyoshi Aman
Scout

Kiyoshi Aman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kiyoshi Aman Send a message via AIM to Kiyoshi Aman Send a message via MSN to Kiyoshi Aman Send a message via Yahoo to Kiyoshi Aman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
edit: OK, now I can attack monsters... still getting the "object not found" warnings when the game starts up, but that doesn't seem to affect anything noticeable. Oh, by the way, I am getting a bunch of warnings when running "make": they say something about _GNU_SOURCE being redefined when it's been defined on the command line. And the configure script says it will install into /usr/local now but "make install" still puts the executable into the "trunk" directory...
That shouldn't happen; the install target, when I originally integrated Objective Make into the autoconf-based buildsystem, installed to $bindir, which is a fancy way of saying $prefix/bin, which in turn usually means /usr/local/bin.
Old August 5, 2007, 16:49   #15
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
I do seem to recall Andrew mentioning something about "make install" putting the executable in ".." (which for me is the trunk directory) on Ubuntu (which I am using), but I thought he might have fixed that...
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2007, 01:41   #16
Kiyoshi Aman
Scout

Kiyoshi Aman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kiyoshi Aman Send a message via AIM to Kiyoshi Aman Send a message via MSN to Kiyoshi Aman Send a message via Yahoo to Kiyoshi Aman
Actually, you just need to pass --with-setgid=games or something like that to have it install globally. Should've been a note making people aware of this, but this change wasn't my fault. :P
Old August 6, 2007, 17:37   #17
ekolis
Knight

Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Hmm, OK... I configured --with-setgid=games, added myself to the games group, and logged out and logged back in, but now when I run angband I get this error:

angband: Cannot find required file:
/usr/local/share/angband/xtra/font/6x10.fon

The file is most definitely there, and I do have read permissions to it as evidenced by my ability to "cat" it and get a bunch of gobbledygook, but for some reason I'm getting that error. I don't get the error when I run angband as root, however...

I know it's really irrelevant because I'm the only one who uses my PC currently (not to mention I don't even know anyone else who plays Angband) but I just like to be able to install things globally "just in case", not to mention the fact that doing so creates a nice shortcut - I can type "angband" in the little command bar I have installed and bring it up, as opposed to navigating to the directory it's located in and then running it, or even writing a script to do so!
Old August 7, 2007, 14:41   #18
ekolis
Knight

OK, this problem only seems to be occurring when I use the SDL port... I also discovered that the installer does not copy angband.glade to the proper directory for use with the GTK port. I'll file some bug reports and use the X11 port for now!
Old August 7, 2007, 19:55   #19
tuppe666
Rookie

tuppe666 is on a distinguished road
I noticed the savefiles is now broken. In practice I noticed that the -n option for "Start a new character" was also broken.
tuppe666 is offline   Reply With Quote