Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 14, 2014, 07:55   #1
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
hello and YASD - 3.5.0 very promising mage

I'm a long-time roguealike player, starting with rogue, spending most of my play time with umoria and angband, mostly angband vanilla and npp, none of the "way out there" variants (although I do admit to some time spent in omega which was awesome for the landscapes and the variety of caverns, items, etc.). I mostly play high elf mages. Long time habit. It's been a few years since I seriously played so I started up "Shain" the High Elf mage again.

Many things take getting used to -- no unsymmetric LOS trick! Aw that was my favorite discovery! Jeez i hope hasted pillardancing still works! And I really really miss my wand of wall building, man that was the bomb!

Anyway, I'm adjusting. I've noticed that hounds do NOT pursue into anti-breathing corridors so I've had to get creative with stone to mud and ball spells to take them out, it's hard without telepathy.

I really like how the game gives information now: for example, average damage (HOW MANY times did I make that calculation by hand!), spell effects, etc. It does not detract from the game at all, I love it!

I also really like the variety of items, new potions (gain-one-lose-one stat potions), mushrooms, etc. all with tradeoffs to make, nice! I particularly loved the rings of the mouse and escape, as it fits my preferred style of sneak up on a pack and lure them out from a distance one by one.

I even am starting to get used to no-sell, which bothered me a lot at first but now I feel freed from the need to keep things I know I'll probably never use.

Anyway, i was kicking ass taking it really slowly with Shain the High Elf mage. The very first time I descend to dlev 30 I get an "extremely dangerous" level. Didn't pay that much attention, I should have though. It looks interesting so I quaff !Englightenment, and lo and behold, vault, vaults everywhere! At least 3 maybe 4. Scarabtarices! Raal's! Oh boy I've hit the mother load!
I risked the nexus hounds for Raal's. Then I had the idea to banish them (had one ?Banishment) and cleaned out that vault.

What is it about this game where you hallucinate that your puny 128 HP level-28 mage is some sort of invulnerable god? I'm cleaning out another vault when this big pink "U" comes out. A Bile Demon, eh? Well, I have Hurin, so I'll smite his demonic a$$. There's something puny in between us so I start unleashing Raal's on him, ice storm in particular. "You Die." Wait, What? Poison breath? -683 HP? Dead? Nooooooooooooooo!

I've played this game more times than I can count and still I get into this hypnotic "I can beat anything" trance. Clearly I need to keep my sense of danger, especially on an "Extremely dangerous" level! ARgh the game even TOLD me and I ignored it! Ah those vaults are so enticing though...

Anyway, I'm psyched to try the kobold rogue from the "let's play rogue" videos. I've never won with a non-spellcaster (only mages and priests, mostly mages) so I'll see how it goes.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014, 08:02   #2
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Rogues are great and fun to play. Mathing my playstyle with sneaking around also ...
As for mages - I suck at playing mages, never made it very far.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014, 08:17   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
As for mages - I suck at playing mages, never made it very far.
Try H-Troll mage. It's surprisingly fun, extra HP from H-Troll and innate regen makes possible to mm everything in sight forever.

My experience with mages is that you need to be extra-careful at the beginning of the game, but they absolutely rock during stat-gain and later. Priests tend to be in trouble during stat-gain unless they get lucky and find Godly Insights. Without detection and/or ESP they have no method of detecting hounds, so that's game changing book for them.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014, 08:38   #4
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Try H-Troll mage. It's surprisingly fun, extra HP from H-Troll and innate regen makes possible to mm everything in sight forever.

My experience with mages is that you need to be extra-careful at the beginning of the game, but they absolutely rock during stat-gain and later. Priests tend to be in trouble during stat-gain unless they get lucky and find Godly Insights. Without detection and/or ESP they have no method of detecting hounds, so that's game changing book for them.
Hey that sounds great I'll try one of those next .
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote