Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23, 2013, 07:18   #1
Scraper
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan.
Posts: 99
Scraper is on a distinguished road
How long does a game take you?

I've just come back to Angband after a long hiatus and was wondering how long it usually takes to finish (win) a game.

My play style is to scour most of every level and return to town when my bags are full or my stacks of consumables are starting to run low.

I have only managed to beat the game once but I find it takes me several weeks if not months to get to cL50 and be in a position to think about taking on the much harder uniques.

What are your styles and how long does it take you to win?
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:32   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,691
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper View Post
I've just come back to Angband after a long hiatus and was wondering how long it usually takes to finish (win) a game.

My play style is to scour most of every level and return to town when my bags are full or my stacks of consumables are starting to run low.

I have only managed to beat the game once but I find it takes me several weeks if not months to get to cL50 and be in a position to think about taking on the much harder uniques.

What are your styles and how long does it take you to win?
About 12-24 hours total play time.
Dive quickly; level up occasionally on "good" levels, where "good" is contingent on current stats, equipment, character level, etc.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:37   #3
Scraper
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan.
Posts: 99
Scraper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
About 12-24 hours total play time.
Dive quickly; level up occasionally on "good" levels, where "good" is contingent on current stats, equipment, character level, etc.
Wow, that is really fast. I wasn't expecting people to be able to finish the game so quickly. It can take me hours and hours to get through a vault. Even to the point of taking me several sessions to completely knock over a vault.
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:51   #4
Narvius
Knight
 
Narvius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Poland, Katowice
Age: 29
Posts: 589
Narvius is on a distinguished road
I don't think I'd want to spend so much time on a single character. xD I haven't won yet, but the one time I reached Morgoth I probably played around 20-25 hours. Which made me just realize the ungodly amount of time I spent on this game already. :x
__________________
If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.
Narvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:54   #5
Timo Pietilä
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
About 12-24 hours total play time.
Dive quickly; level up occasionally on "good" levels, where "good" is contingent on current stats, equipment, character level, etc.
I'm not diver, but it takes about 20 +-4 hours real time for me too. It depends quite a lot about your early luck. I also use way too much time deeper in dungeon, I'm usually about 5x overprepared when I finally face M.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:55   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,691
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper View Post
Wow, that is really fast. I wasn't expecting people to be able to finish the game so quickly. It can take me hours and hours to get through a vault. Even to the point of taking me several sessions to completely knock over a vault.
If a vault is sufficiently scary to require hours to complete, I will just skip it as an unacceptable risk/reward.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 08:01   #7
Estie
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,102
Estie is on a distinguished road
12-24 hours sounds about right, where 24 hours might be an ironman run.

Are you making heavy use of macros ? When you say it takes you days to clear a vault, I suspect that you use many manual casts. For example, for me detect traps is always mapped to the F5 key, regardless of class; a warrior might zap a rod, while a caster use their spell from a book. Almost all keys not used by the game are mapped to something (and even one that is; I map F (fuel light) to teleport other eventually, assuming that normally I have a permanent source of light before making heavy use of TO). That allows me to play without looking at the keyboard, like piano.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 08:16   #8
Scraper
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan.
Posts: 99
Scraper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
12-24 hours sounds about right, where 24 hours might be an ironman run.

Are you making heavy use of macros ? When you say it takes you days to clear a vault, I suspect that you use many manual casts. For example, for me detect traps is always mapped to the F5 key, regardless of class; a warrior might zap a rod, while a caster use their spell from a book. Almost all keys not used by the game are mapped to something (and even one that is; I map F (fuel light) to teleport other eventually, assuming that normally I have a permanent source of light before making heavy use of TO). That allows me to play without looking at the keyboard, like piano.
I don't use macros at all. I only started inscribing items in the last game I played too. I do everything manually. I will look into when I play next though. Sounds like it would be faster.
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 09:23   #9
eMeM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 75
eMeM is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure, because I don't look at clock when I play. I guess it's 30-50 hours.
eMeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 12:34   #10
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,213
MattB is on a distinguished road
For me most of my characters last a week, which I guess equates to about 35 hours play, and they usually die about two thirds of the way through the dungeon. On that basis I suppose about 50-60 hours real time for a win. Mind you, in my one and only win, the Morgoth battle took about three hours.

However, sometimes things move a lot faster than others. Here's page 1 of my Hall of Fame for v3.4.1 and while there is very consistent failure, look at the turn count. Four of them almost exactly the same and one of them about half of the others. Just goes to show...something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HoF341.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1040  
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First game in a long time (Dunadan Ranger) smileyy AAR 14 October 2, 2011 12:23
How long have you been playing without winning Jude Idle chatter 70 December 15, 2010 08:00
Hallucinate for HOW long?? Magnate Vanilla 17 June 14, 2010 15:28
How long until this one dies? fmackenz Vanilla 14 June 6, 2010 05:49
How long did it take you to win? Donald Jonker Idle chatter 3 December 23, 2008 02:04


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.