Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Here's a shot at it

# === Understanding projection.txt ===

# Format:
#code:computer code for this
#name:human readable name for this
#type:element|environs|monster the latter two define what this projection affects
#desc:
#player-desc:how this is described to the player when he can see the monster using it
#blind-desc:how this is described to the player when he cannot see the monster using it
#lash-desc:
#numerator:if defender resists, multiply the damage by this amount
#denominator:if defender resists, divide the damage by this amount
#divisor:divide the attacking creature's HP by this to determine damage
#damage-cap:max damage regardless of mon HP, before resistance is applied
#msgt:computer code for this effect
#obvious:0|1 effects?
#color:displayed color
That's great, thanks
Old October 22, 2019, 04:04   #62
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
Permanent consequences almost certainly. Probably more than in Angband, which has basically only death, slight disenchantment, and occasional theft or destruction of inventory items. (Did I miss any?)
There's semipermanent stat drain and experience drain as well, but I take your meaning. You want the player to really have to pay for their mistakes, eh?
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 04:11   #63
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I'm playing Ranger and keep very nearly dying, but I'm still alive and finally found a bow better than a short bow of power, an artifact short bow (+22) X4 with a bunch of useful stat bonuses including +2 speed, and it is branded with lightning) and provides pconf/pblind. And I just discovered I can create arrows in Angband now! That is super nifty! I see that I need a staff in order to do it. But I wonder if I'd be getting carried away if I suggested any mithril object could be used to make mithril arrows?

I wonder from a spell language aesthetic if "fashion arrows" might be better than "create arrows".

I'm not sure how I feel about rangers using WIS; that means dwarf ranger is now a viable option since dwarves have decent wis but a dwarf shooting arrows is a bit hokey at best....

Last edited by Grotug; October 23, 2019 at 05:12.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 05:26   #64
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about rangers using WIS; that means dwarf ranger is now a viable option since dwarves have decent wis but a dwarf shooting arrows is a bit hokey at best....
I'm honestly a little surprised that Nick hasn't swapped the mental stats of dwarfs and elves in Vanilla yet.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 05:38   #65
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'm honestly a little surprised that Nick hasn't swapped the mental stats of dwarfs and elves in Vanilla yet.
Well, I had been planning some sort of shakeup of races, but after Discussions decided to just leave them all as they were.
Old October 22, 2019, 11:55   #66
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
unable to handle different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Sorry, no, society does not work that way...
In my eyes you just reveal, that you are unable (or unwilling) to handle different opinions that do not match your own view of the world.
Old October 22, 2019, 11:58   #67
Tibarius
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
As I have said here before, the label "Angband maintainer" is not really an official one...
I am wiling to not just express my criticism, actually i am willing to proof that i can do it better.

So, you wanna share a little of the burden of maintaining the game Nick. I considere it necessary to overwork the arcane spells and am willing to do so.

There is your (and everybody else's) chance to let me participate in shaping the game.

If you are interested in it, give me a forum message and i detail my thoughts.

Edit: Basically there is no risk for anyone in it ... if we make a version 4.2.1 and the simple majority of the active forum members votes it down after publishing it, we simply remove the changes and go back to 4.2.0

Last edited by Tibarius; October 22, 2019 at 12:24.
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 12:28   #68
Tibarius
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Well, I had been planning some sort of shakeup of races, but after Discussions decided to just leave them all as they were.
On first sight i would agree that it wouldn't hurt. Besides the fact that i cannot imagine how a half-troll could actually be given birth to, i think Dunadan is just a special form of human. And i cannot recognize any logic behind the XP modifiers either.

I actually would vote for removing half-breed races, and keep
Human
Elf
Orc
Hobbit
Gnome
Kobold
Dwarf

Human is the standard, all other races should have their unique strength and weakness. XP modifier are not realy required from my perspective, because the other races should not be stronger than human but just have a slightly other game behavior.
Old October 22, 2019, 12:40   #69
MWGE
Scout

MWGE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
On first sight i would agree that it wouldn't hurt. Besides the fact that i cannot imagine how a half-troll could actually be given birth to, i think Dunadan is just a special form of human. And i cannot recognize any logic behind the XP modifiers either.

I actually would vote for removing half-breed races, and keep
Human
Elf
Orc
Hobbit
Gnome
Kobold
Dwarf

Human is the standard, all other races should have their unique strength and weakness. XP modifier are not realy required from my perspective, because the other races should not be stronger than human but just have a slightly other game behavior.
I work with many Germans, lovely people. They would despair of you I'm sure.

Intentional confrontational rudeness is not a virtue. If you believe you can do better then simply do so. No one is stopping you.

On the other hand being obtuse and rude is simply...being obtuse and rude.

One garners no respect and it's hardly professional. Much of the current version of V is due to a lot of collaboration and painstaking work, mostly by Nick.

You are welcome to your opinions. I however should likely learn and not throw rations to Rogrog.
MWGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2019, 13:28   #70
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
I am wiling to not just express my criticism, actually i am willing to proof that i can do it better.

So, you wanna share a little of the burden of maintaining the game Nick. I considere it necessary to overwork the arcane spells and am willing to do so.

There is your (and everybody else's) chance to let me participate in shaping the game.

If you are interested in it, give me a forum message and i detail my thoughts.

Edit: Basically there is no risk for anyone in it ... if we make a version 4.2.1 and the simple majority of the active forum members votes it down after publishing it, we simply remove the changes and go back to 4.2.0
The point is that you don't need anyone to give you a forum message. You simply publish angband 4.2.1 and everyone else goes with it, and congratulations you're the new maintainer. This is roughly how Ben Harrison and Robert Ruehlman earned maintainership.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote