Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 19, 2014, 12:41   #21
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
What about things like 'spit to blind' or 'gaze to confuse'? I.e. status ailments from melee attacks rather than elemental attacks.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014, 13:25   #22
Gobbopathe
Rookie

Gobbopathe is on a distinguished road
The noobest question ever : I try to sell items, I have read it is done by using the d command. But once I have identified my items, all the others are not worth considering for any merchant.
Is there a secret command to sell an item ?

Extra question : how does stealth work ? Is there a bonus when attacking stealthily a monster ?
Gobbopathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014, 13:29   #23
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
What about things like 'spit to blind' or 'gaze to confuse'? I.e. status ailments from melee attacks rather than elemental attacks.
I think paralyzation is only one you get save against. All others do what they do unless you have appropriate resist or protection. Assuming they hit you (high AC helps). With perfect saving throw you don't need Free Action anymore.

[EDIT] I think saving throw also affects XP drain from undead touches, but I'm not sure what the formula is, is it direct block, or does it just get drained less or what. Or maybe it doesn't affect at all.

Last edited by Timo Pietilš; September 19, 2014 at 14:37.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014, 14:59   #24
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbopathe View Post
The noobest question ever : I try to sell items, I have read it is done by using the d command. But once I have identified my items, all the others are not worth considering for any merchant.
Is there a secret command to sell an item ?

Extra question : how does stealth work ? Is there a bonus when attacking stealthily a monster ?
You are probably playing with the no-selling option, which is default in the newest version. You can change that, but since it is a birth option, you have to create a new character to do so.
No selling is considered to be more convenient because it frees inventory slots - you don't have to carry stuff to town to sell it, in order to get money. With no selling on, you will find more gold in the dungeon in return.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014, 15:09   #25
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
You are probably playing with the no-selling option, which is default in the newest version. You can change that, but since it is a birth option, you have to create a new character to do so.
No selling is considered to be more convenient because it frees inventory slots - you don't have to carry stuff to town to sell it, in order to get money. With no selling on, you will find more gold in the dungeon in return.
Also you notice that instead of lugging stuff for selling you actually use stuff you pick up from dungeon. A ego-weapon that is plain worse than you have currently just gets left behind and (less expensive) wand of annihilation you picked up gets used instead of left behind.

Makes gaming better in so many ways.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014, 15:58   #26
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbopathe View Post
Well I could not ask for better, thanks a lot, I should now play for a moment before coming back to you.
If I remember well a big part of my frustration came at first because I had the feeling lots of the monsters I encountered could be switched. I mean I haven't the feeling 1 mob = 1 different threat, but that I met swarm of quite identical mobs with different names instead, finding difficult to invest myself into the game.
Yeah, the early game is pretty slow and most of the monsters are just "run up and hit you" types. Frankly a lot of the monsters in the game are primarily dangerous from their melee attacks, but at least later on they start mixing that up with spells or with attacks that do things in addition to simply hurting you.

I suggest you roll up a Half-Troll Warrior and then dive. Take every down staircase you see and pretty soon you'll be facing off against more interesting monsters. And then probably you'll die, but hey, maybe you won't.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014, 16:06   #27
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Correction: most of the enemies in the early game run up to you and hit to shoot acid.
Old September 19, 2014, 17:21   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Correction: most of the enemies in the early game run up to you and hit to shoot acid.
Code:
vim monster.txt
:%s/:ACID:/:EXP_80:
Happy now?

EDIT: pretty sure saving throws don't apply to experience drain. However, if you have Hold Life (see below; thanks!), then you get 90% protection from experience drain, and the other 10% of the time you only lose 10% as much experience as you would normally.

As for stealth, it just slows down the rate at which monsters wake up. Every 3 points of stealth you have make you roughly twice as stealthy (it's an exponential function). There's no benefit from surprise-attacking monsters, although stealthy characters can sometimes kill off a group of sleeping monsters one by one instead of having to face the entire group at once.

Last edited by Derakon; September 19, 2014 at 20:45.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014, 20:06   #29
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

EDIT: pretty sure saving throws don't apply to experience drain. However, if you have nether resistance, then you get 90% protection from experience drain, and the other 10% of the time you only lose 10% as much experience as you would normally.
Do you mean HoldLife? I was under the impression that nether resistance completely blocked xp drain from nether attacks. Or maybe I'm wrong...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stats, weapon, weapon stats