Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 26, 2015, 18:32   #11
StMicah
Adept

StMicah is on a distinguished road
I noticed that some of the advanced healing/life potions can be thrown for damage...what are the damage die on those?

Also, in previous versions, could the confusion and poison potions be thrown to cause those effects in monsters?
StMicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015, 19:10   #12
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You're trying to dial down your smugness. It won't work.
Credit where it's due - I had thought that the number of ways of saying "FA already has this" had been exhausted. But like Status Quo, he keeps finding new permutations on the formula ;-)
Old February 26, 2015, 19:26   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMicah View Post
I noticed that some of the advanced healing/life potions can be thrown for damage...what are the damage die on those?

Also, in previous versions, could the confusion and poison potions be thrown to cause those effects in monsters?
It's 1d1; the fact that that message is attached to those item descriptions is a bug.

I don't know if Vanilla had the ability to throw status ailment potions; it might have. I know that was/is a popular thing to have in variants, though.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2015, 21:07   #14
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I think that the original Vanilla potions were more like 10d100 or something. Still worth using as a throwing weapon, but not potentially able to do 10000 damage in a single shot. Detonations got removed at the same time that Potions of Death got the axe, I'm pretty sure, which would be around the same time that the devs were trying to encourage people to ID items by using them instead of by scrolls/spells/staves of Identify.

(Morgoth has 20000 HP, so you'd need two potions plus a source of scratch damage (due to regeneration) if you were able to manipulate perfect rolls with a 100d100 damage source)
Average roll of 100d100 is 5050 with a very high probability (85% or so) of rolling higher than 5000. Hence the four potion number -- Morgoth would die to four of them almost every time. (The actual number there is that he survives .8% of encounters in which he is hit with four super detonation potions.)

Last edited by mushroom patch; February 26, 2015 at 21:31.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 09:36   #15
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
That was ToME 2. And it was 25d25 plus a shard explosion, not 100d100, thankfully.

Still very effective as a ranged weapon...
Angband 2.9.3 still had those. Just 25d25 though, not 100d100.

We need holy hand grenade of antioch.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 20:05   #16
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
>> and getting potentially-destroyable items I'm standing on away from a monster whose breath attacks could hit them.

Derakon: nothing makes me feel more like a pro than dropping my rations on the floor beneath me (if I won't need to move around) or throwing them across the room (if I will) when trying to get rid of some food-eating ghost.

Edit: Also, if you're fighting an orc/troll pit and you have no useful moves (i.e. you were going to press "."), you can throw the weapons at them that they've been dropping at your feet. This feels good. Is there a chance for the weapons to break? I don't do this very often so I haven't seen it happen.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2015, 23:19   #17
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
There was a time about FAangband 0.2.2 when it was fashionable to go for a comedy kill by throwing a wand or something at a unique to finish them off.
Old February 28, 2015, 13:01   #18
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
for characters with slow pseudo-ID at low levels I like to throw unID'd weapons at monsters to get a chance for learning more about them if I can't just carry them around for a while. It's also not a bad way to "soften up" enemies early on before finding a good missile launcher
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015, 16:55   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
for characters with slow pseudo-ID at low levels I like to throw unID'd weapons at monsters to get a chance for learning more about them if I can't just carry them around for a while. It's also not a bad way to "soften up" enemies early on before finding a good missile launcher
On a related note, you can learn the bonuses on a launcher by throwing it at something. Turns out that +hit and +damage on a launcher also help you throw it harder and more accurately.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015, 17:27   #20
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Do iron spikes work as throwing weapons?
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote