Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 2, 2015, 03:44   #1
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Object detection and ID - a proposal

Three stages of item knowledge:
  1. Item is sensed - as with current Treasure Detection. The object list shows an "unknown object"
  2. Item is seen - as currently when the player actually sees the object, or Rogue's Object Detection spell. The object list shows a Sling (x2), or a Pink Potion (if the flavour isn't known) or a Potion of Infravision (if the flavour is known).
  3. Item is known - as currently after reading ?ID, or getting full ID by use. The object list shows the full name.

Stage 1 and 2 are gained as currently. Stage 3 is gained immediately on stepping onto the item square. Magical ID and ID by use are obsolete and removed.

Variation: Flavoured, non-wearable items still need to be ID'd by use.

Please shoot this down as hard as you can, I'll try to defend it, and we'll see if it's still flying when we're done.
Old May 2, 2015, 04:07   #2
Cold_Heart
Adept

Cold_Heart is on a distinguished road
Object detection and ID - a better proposal

Return detection to how it was in 3.3.2 and stop fixing what doesn't need fixing.
Cold_Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 04:22   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Preferably replies with some content
Old May 2, 2015, 04:25   #4
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Preferably replies with some content
Such a well-mannered reply to the asshat. I would not have succeeded on my will save vs. flaming the way you just did. Credit to Nick, as usual.

I don't have the well-rested presence of mind needed to give the input you're seeking right now, but I will return to this thread when I do.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 05:26   #5
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
This is the least stupid version of ID for angband I've ever seen proposed. These are literally the only things you care about. 99% of ID is going to be done by picking up the item and reading ?id or something on it, so who actually gives any hecks about how many flags you can trip on the stupid thing by trying to get breathed on by a billion things.

Edit: I think crawl does something reasonably close to this, except you have to wear-id gear instead of just stepping on the square. If you want to avoid the risk of wearing something that would be scary to remove (there are a few), you read ?id on it from a (theoretically) limited source of id. That might be a good middle ground -- keep ?id in the game, but wielding/wearing will fully id the thing upon wielding it.

Edit2: I think mage books have an identify spell? If you end up removing ID entirely, I suggest replacing the spell with Zangband's "Magic Rocket."

Last edited by debo; May 2, 2015 at 05:34.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 05:38   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I've actually played with basically the above system back in the 3.1 (or earlier) days, and it works decently well. I do think however that ID-by-use of consumables (including wands, staves, etc.) is an interesting "minigame". So my counter-proposal, which is also open to being shot down etc., would be:

* Remove all forms of magical identification except for semi-rare dungeon scrolls, and selling to stores
* Equipment identifies automatically on stepping/pickup
* Consumables (anything with a "flavor") identifies on use

Honestly I would like to try playing rune-based ID, but given how difficult it is to implement and how it's borderline impossible to know if it works without implementing it, I can definitely understand the desire to simplify the problem scope!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 05:44   #7
debo
Veteran

I agree that consumable minigames can be interesting. However, the fact that stores exist means that you literally never have to play that game, so I don't get the point unless (a) they stop identifying on sale or (b) angband goes truly no-selling, where you can't give anything to stores for any reason.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:21   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I agree that consumable minigames can be interesting. However, the fact that stores exist means that you literally never have to play that game, so I don't get the point unless (a) they stop identifying on sale or (b) angband goes truly no-selling, where you can't give anything to stores for any reason.
That's spot on - keeping ID by use for flavours would necessitate no magical ID and no store ID (apart from learning flavours by buying things).
Old May 2, 2015, 13:06   #9
debo
Veteran

Well, Derakon did say you'd need to remove selling in his first point. I just missed it the first time around in my excitement about replacing ID with rockets.

I think the biggest issue with that proposal is the number of players who will freak the heck out at the idea of selling going away for good. I guess you could tweak things so that you can only sell items that have been fully IDed.

Last edited by debo; May 2, 2015 at 13:19.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 13:39   #10
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I think the biggest issue with that proposal is the number of players who will freak the heck out at the idea of selling going away for good.
I should note that as someone who likes selling, I've never used it as a way of identifying things, and would be completely happy for shops to A, refuse to buy unidentified items, or B, give you a pittance and make the item disappear without identifying it or putting it back on sale. (What I personally like about the selling minigame is the occasional fun opportunity to sell almost literally everything you're wearing and carrying in exchange for a single awesome item like speed boots, and then try to survive long enough to collect more gear again.)

Also, if we switch to solely using ID-by-use for consumables, it ought to be proper instant ID 100% of the time, not the annoying system we have now where you can't tell a potion is Boldness unless you're already scared or a scroll is Detect Invisible unless you're standing near a Clear Icky Thing. (I'm in favour of this change being made regardless of any other changes to ID, because it's purely an interface annoyance that doesn't stop experienced players being aware what that {tried} item is 99% of the time anyway.)
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote